Old 24-07-2003, 10:12 PM
astronomer

Default Lotus

Tomorrow I am going to a lake in Florida to get some wild lotus but I
don`t know what special cares to have...
Basically I am going to shove my hand through the muddy waters (below
a withered lotus flower) and to the bottom (will I touch roots?? or
soil??). Then I am going to grab whatever is there and pull it up
carefully. I expect to bring up several intertwinned potato-looking
tubers which I will have to break somewhere in order to seperate and
make transportable.
I really wanted to be successfull in bringing back possible lotus
tubers but what cares do I need? If I do what will I kill it? I
would really appreciate some help, some guidance.

Bruno
PhD student
University of Florida
Old 25-07-2003, 12:42 AM

get scuba gear. take along an underwater chain saw. I dont know if you have every
tried to pull up a water lily, but a lotus is much harder. you will tip the boat
over and not budge it an millimeter. this is not the best time of the year for
trying to grow lotus anyway. Ingrid

(astronomer) wrote:

Tomorrow I am going to a lake in Florida to get some wild lotus but I
don`t know what special cares to have...
Basically I am going to shove my hand through the muddy waters (below
a withered lotus flower) and to the bottom (will I touch roots?? or
soil??). Then I am going to grab whatever is there and pull it up
carefully. I expect to bring up several intertwinned potato-looking
tubers which I will have to break somewhere in order to seperate and
make transportable.
I really wanted to be successfull in bringing back possible lotus
tubers but what cares do I need? If I do what will I kill it? I
would really appreciate some help, some guidance.

Bruno
PhD student
University of Florida

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 25-07-2003, 04:12 AM
zxcvbob

I grew a lotus from seed last year, from a pod I bought at a craft store
(Michaels) with the dried flowers. It grew amazingly fast and began to
spread by underground runners while it was just a few weeks old. I had it
in a rubbery plastic flower pot with no drainage hole, and a few minnows in
the water to keep the mosquitoes out. Alas, I thought they were hardy, but
I let a hard freeze kill the leaves before I brought it inside for the
winter (the water in the pot did not freeze) and it didn't come back. I'll
plant another one this winter indoors so I can set a good sized plant out
and maybe have it bloom.

Bob

(astronomer) wrote:

Tomorrow I am going to a lake in Florida to get some wild lotus but I
don`t know what special cares to have... Basically I am going to shove
my hand through the muddy waters (below a withered lotus flower) and
to the bottom (will I touch roots?? or soil??). Then I am going to
grab whatever is there and pull it up carefully. I expect to bring up
several intertwinned potato-looking tubers which I will have to break
somewhere in order to seperate and make transportable. I really wanted
to be successfull in bringing back possible lotus tubers but what
cares do I need? If I do what will I kill it? I would really
appreciate some help, some guidance.

Bruno PhD student University of Florida

[IMG] code is On

Trailing Lotus-2254 (Lotus berthelotii) Maroochy[_4_] Garden Photos 0 16-09-2012 08:23 AM
Lotus question, newbie to lotus claude rogers Ponds 1 02-06-2003 05:56 PM
lotus question ande Ponds 9 23-04-2003 01:08 PM
Growth of Tiger Lotus kush Freshwater Aquaria Plants 10 20-04-2003 06:24 AM
tiger lotus rhizome/runners/???? Daniel Whiting Freshwater Aquaria Plants 8 26-02-2003 10:13 PM