Old 24-07-2003, 10:32 PM
Robert

Default Pomegranate tree

Do pomegranate trees fruit from new wood or old?

I've got a full sized, well-established, pomegranate tree in my side yard.
Due to my east side neighbor's new "wall" last year the tree can no longer
grow the way it's been for years and is forcing itself towards the walkway
on its west side.
She's doing very well, but I'd like to get in there and thin her out a bit.
She's got establish fruits, too, small tough they may be.

Rob
Old 25-07-2003, 02:22 AM
omi

"Robert" wrote in message
Do pomegranate trees fruit from new wood or old?

Ours form blossoms and fruit on two year old wood (maybe three year) and
older but productio drops off as the branch gets older. Ours also grow
as shrubs - we never trained them as trees early on. We also prune
pretty severly removing about 1/3 of the canes each year. Seem to put
out a lot of new suckers every year to replace the older ones. -Olin

Old 25-07-2003, 04:12 AM
Travis

omi wrote:
"Robert" wrote in message
Do pomegranate trees fruit from new wood or old?

We also prune pretty severly removing about 1/3 of the canes each

year.

Pomegranate trees have canes?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 25-07-2003, 06:12 AM
omi

"Travis" wrote in message
omi wrote:
"Robert" wrote in message
Do pomegranate trees fruit from new wood or old?

We also prune pretty severly removing about 1/3 of the canes each

year.

Pomegranate trees have canes?

As in "... any of various slender woody stems; esp. an elongated
flowering or fruiting stem usu. arising directly from the ground."
If trained as a tree they might not do that but if grown as a bush
they certainly do. The new shoots will grow straight up to 5 - 6 feet
the first year with only leaves on the sides - no side branches - and
will flower and bear fruit within the next two years. At least ours do
that. -Olin

[IMG] code is On

what happened to my pomegranate tree? [email protected] Lawns 1 23-06-2007 01:38 AM
What happened to my pomegranate tree? [email protected] Gardening 0 23-06-2007 12:50 AM
Pomegranate tree, evergreen or deciduous? John Ladasky Gardening 2 02-10-2006 06:44 PM
[IBC] Pomegranate Louis Brooks Bonsai 16 02-02-2005 01:18 AM
Pomegranate seeds Frogleg Edible Gardening 4 23-01-2003 04:54 PM