Old 28-07-2003, 07:02 PM
Some One

Default Winterized hose reel?

Hey all!

Seeing the hose reel questions reminded me of something I need to
do...

I have a couple of "Suncast" hose reels. These are pretty crappy. The
portable one does it's job, but the one I have mounted to my deck is a
pain.

On the mounted reel, the center hub where the hose attaches pops out
of the reel, spewing water all over the reel. It seems that something
during the winter damages the reel as it works all summer, winter
comes, and it's busted. I've replaced the damaged parts once, and it
happened again this year.

I'm assuming that some trapped water freezes and breaks a plastic
part. I do what I can to drain the water out of this unit, but it's
still happening.

Can anyone suggest a good WINTERIZED hose reel? Something that is self
draining, or freeze proof, or ???

Thanks!

Old 28-07-2003, 10:02 PM
Joseph Meehan

Compressed air usually will dry it out, but be sure to keep additional
water from going in. You could also use RV antifreeze.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

. ca...

Old 29-07-2003, 02:12 AM
Salty Thumb

"Some One" wrote in news:FrdVa.572985$Vi5.14237197
@news1.calgary.shaw.ca:

Hey all!

Seeing the hose reel questions reminded me of something I need to
do...

I have a couple of "Suncast" hose reels. These are pretty crappy. The
portable one does it's job, but the one I have mounted to my deck is a
pain.

I've got one of those, too, well at least that brand. If I recall
correctly, one the label or else, it says take it inside if the weather
will be freezing or something to that effect. It's one of those boxes
with the reel inside. PITA to wind sometimes, but easy to transport for
winter. I haven't had a problem yet (or maybe I've just been oblivious).

Have you tried closing the faucet/cutoff valve and then turning on the
hose to drain the water? I did that one year, but I don't know if I had
freezing weather.

-- salty

Old 29-07-2003, 10:02 AM
Joseph Meehan

Also remember you need to disconnect it from the hydrant.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 05-08-2003, 04:12 AM
Salty Thumb

[...]

[IMG] code is On

McClane reel vs. Trimmer reel mower? Shade Lawns 0 23-06-2006 07:23 AM
My sprinklers didn't get winterized, what can I do? Habsfan Lawns 6 26-03-2004 04:33 PM
garden hose reel Ghislain Gardening 1 03-09-2003 09:22 AM
ISO: Hose reel with brass fittings David Gibbs Lawns 3 28-07-2003 06:02 PM
ISO: Hose reel with brass fittings David Gibbs Gardening 4 28-07-2003 06:02 PM