Old 31-07-2003, 06:32 PM
Mike

Default Weeping Willow - Root Depth

I have a great spot for a weeping willow in my yard. It's away from
the house (80 to 100 feet) and even further away from the water and
septic lines. I think it will get plenty of water in this location,
too.

However, we have a geothermal heat pump installed in our house with a
horizontal ground loop in the area. So, near where I want to plant the
willow tree, there are a couple of dozen pipes that were placed DEEP
in the ground. All of the geothermal pipes are between six feet and
seven feet beneath the surface. The geothermal pipes have water in
them but it is a completely closed system. It does not release water
into the ground or collect water from the ground - the water in the
pipe is heated or cooled by the earth around the pipe.

Of course, weeping willows have a reputation with water pipes: seek
and destroy. So my question is: how deep do weeping willow roots go?
Will there be a potential problem with the roots interfering with the
geothermal pipes seven feet felow the surface?

Thanks for whatever advice you can give.
Old 01-08-2003, 04:02 AM
Marley1372

with a few exceptions, tree roots in the landscape rarley go deeper than 24
inches. In the forest they may go much deeper but not in your yard, unless it
is an old farm field. In any case, willow roots are never, ever going to reach
a depth of 6-7 feet.

Toad
Old 02-08-2003, 03:22 AM
Alan Sung

"Marley1372" wrote in message
In any case, willow roots are never, ever going to reach a depth of 6-7

feet.
Toad

I think the only exception to that rule is if it follows a pipe or drain
system down to where there is more water. For example, a catch basin with
an underground pipe running to the storm drain/dry well. The roots don't
have to penetrate the pipe, they'll happily follow the outside.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA (Zone 6a)

[IMG] code is On

moving a 15foot high weeping willow R P McMurphy United Kingdom 19 01-09-2003 01:03 AM
Sickly Weeping Willow Earnest Trawler United Kingdom 6 04-08-2003 11:44 AM
[IBC] Weeping willow was Madrona? Henrik Gistvall Bonsai 0 25-06-2003 09:08 PM
Weeping Willow Problem dixie Texas 6 18-04-2003 03:44 PM
Salix Caprea Pendula? (Weeping Pussy Willow) janet.bennett United Kingdom 1 29-03-2003 08:44 AM