Old 01-08-2003, 01:42 PM
BH

Default Leaf mulchers

Would anyone have an opinion/advice to offer? I'm new in FL, Zone 10,
and am just realizing why mulch is so important. Tried to grow some
simple yellow squash, and the only one that is doing anything is the one
right between the spreading oregano and the parsley. But don't like the
bagged cedar stuff, etc. Anyway, saw a "Deluxe Electric Leaf Shredder"
at Gardeners Supply. Doesn't say if it will do small shrub branches,
which I'd like since there is a monster ficus that I have to keep under
control and could use those (under 1" dia) branches. Thanks for any ideas.

Old 02-08-2003, 01:22 PM
Pat Kiewicz

BH said:

Would anyone have an opinion/advice to offer? I'm new in FL, Zone 10,
and am just realizing why mulch is so important. Tried to grow some
simple yellow squash, and the only one that is doing anything is the one
right between the spreading oregano and the parsley. But don't like the
bagged cedar stuff, etc. Anyway, saw a "Deluxe Electric Leaf Shredder"
at Gardeners Supply. Doesn't say if it will do small shrub branches,
which I'd like since there is a monster ficus that I have to keep under
control and could use those (under 1" dia) branches. Thanks for any ideas.

To do small branches, you will need a chipper/shredder. The one you were
looking at will not chip branches. Sears sold version of the electric leaf
shredder (which I have), which does a good job on leaves, torn newspaper,
and straw -- as long as they are dry. It doesn't do twigs.
--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 03-08-2003, 02:02 AM
MLEBLANCA

In article , BH writes:

Anyway, saw a "Deluxe Electric Leaf Shredder"
at Gardeners Supply. Doesn't say if it will do small shrub branches,
which I'd like since there is a monster ficus that I have to keep under
control and could use those (under 1" dia) branches. Thanks for any ideas.

I wouldn't be without ours. We started with the small electric ones, and
wore out 2 of them. We now have the gasoline powered, 5 Hp type.
This year, so far, my DH has ground up 42 bags of mulch for me!
Emilie
NorCal
Old 03-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Warren

BH wrote:
...saw a "Deluxe Electric Leaf Shredder"
at Gardeners Supply. Doesn't say if it will do small shrub branches,
which I'd like since there is a monster ficus that I have to keep

under
control and could use those (under 1" dia) branches.

I've only seen the leaf shredder you're talking about in catalogs and
online. I've never actually seen one in a store, and I know nobody who
owns one. I don't remember who's ad it was that I saw it in, but it
mentioned that it uses strings similar to a string trimmer to shred the
leaves. If this is the case, you aren't going to be able to put any
branches, or even twigs, or even woody stems into the shredder. What's
left, leaves, you can shred by running over them with your mulching
mower.

There are some vacuum / shredder / chippers that look like lawn mowers,
and can be used to vacuum up the leaves straight from the lawn, and
shred them. They usually have a shoot that will allow you to put small
(like 1/2" or smaller) branches in. Some even have tubes to allow you to
vacuum in your beds, under shrubs and in corners. These seem to start
around $300.

After that, it's chipper shredders with 5 hp motors and above. It's at
this range that you start seeing machines that'll handle those 1-3"
branches, but they start at about $550, and go up from there. Comments
I've seen in this group seem to indicate that the lowest priced models
are junk, and the higher priced ones are too expensive for a typical
city or suburban home owner.

Like I said, I've never actually seen one of those "Deluxe Electric Leaf
Shrewder", but my gut feeling is that you'll be disappointed with it.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

Old 03-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Compostman

I have a Flowtron brand leaf shredder. It works well on leaves. It has a
large hopper, and controls for how find to shred and whether or not the
leaves are wet. Uses strings. Small sticks usually just are sent through
without breaking the strings. I think I paid about 80 dollars for it. Have
also seen the same thing with another name on it, maybe Coleman or
Craftsman. I bought mine at a store like Home Depot.
--
Compostman
Washington, DC

Old 03-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Mary Ellen & Chris Magoc

I've only seen the leaf shredder you're talking about in catalogs and
online. I've never actually seen one in a store, and I know nobody who
owns one.

Like I said, I've never actually seen one of those "Deluxe Electric Leaf
Shrewder", but my gut feeling is that you'll be disappointed with it.

I own the one made by Sears. I am not at all disappointed with it. Don't
need to shred twigs, but if they get into this shredder, it can "cut" the
string. Love the shredded leaf mulch. And the earth worms love it even
more! My soil is covered w/ worm castings. It would be a fisherman's
delight!

Mary Ellen
NW PA, Zone 5

[IMG] code is On

Leaf Mulchers runrigger Gardening 1 09-11-2010 11:56 AM
Tree leaf Magnolia Leaf.jpg (01/01) No Name Garden Photos 2 06-02-2007 10:17 PM
Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
anthurium leaf turn brown at the middle of leaf edge Frank Gardening 0 03-08-2004 12:26 AM
cut leaf maple (thread leaf) question clipster Gardening 0 09-05-2003 07:20 PM