Old 03-08-2003, 01:03 AM

Default clematis

Does anyone have suggestions about clematis besides the standard
varieties you see in most nurseries and an online source for them?

Andy
Old 03-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Joseph Meehan

You forgot to tell us where you want to plant. What part of the world,
and type of local soil and conditions (shade, wind water etc.)

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 03-08-2003, 06:42 PM

I want to plant to provide screening on a porch, so I would like a
type I or type II that I don't need to prune I think. I'm in zone 6
and the site will get 2/3 day sun and is protected from wind pretty
well.

Andy

Old 03-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Joseph Meehan

I am replying only to say I don't have an answer, I don't know the
verities well enough, but hopefully with the additional information someone
who does or has personal experience with one, can be of help. Good Luck

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old 03-08-2003, 08:32 PM
Pam

If you focus on Group I clematis - spring bloomers - then you can avoid pruning.
Pretty much all other clematis types will need at least annual pruning to look
good and provide maximum bloom. The spring bloomers cover a lot of different
clematis, most of which are species forms, so the likelihood of your contracting
clematis wilt is significantly reduced. I'd focus in on the montanas - a very
vigorous species that blooms in mid-May in my climate. Great looking foliage and
a profusion of blooms in pinks and whites for several weeks. Fragrant, too. You
could also opt for a Sweet Autumn clematis, Clematis terniflora, that is also a
heavy grower with honey-scented, late summer blooms. This one will need to be
pruned annually, however, and hard :-))

These are not hard to find - they should be available in most good garden
centers and nurseries, if not in more common places like your local Home Depot
or Lowes (although perhaps not so late in the season). Otherwise both Chalk Hill
Clematis and Joy Creek Nursery offer these vines by mail order and are online.

pam - gardengal