Old 02-01-2005, 03:56 AM
Romy Beeck

Default ornamental grass

I live in wisconsin where its cold now.I would love to plant oramental grass
in the spring. I have a empty lot next to me which has lots of wild and i
like to hide it with ormental grass. So what kind should i buy and should it
be by seed or plants? Any help would make be happy.

THANK YOU Romy

Old 02-01-2005, 02:44 PM
Phisherman

On Sat, 1 Jan 2005 21:56:59 -0600, "Romy Beeck"
wrote:

I live in wisconsin where its cold now.I would love to plant oramental grass
in the spring. I have a empty lot next to me which has lots of wild and i
like to hide it with ormental grass. So what kind should i buy and should it
be by seed or plants? Any help would make be happy.

THANK YOU Romy

There are a huge number of varieties. You may want to get a few
garden catalogs which will provide you will more kinds. Seeds cost a
lot less, but you'll need some time for these to grow. You can start
seeds in pots, then transplant when the weather warms up. Grasses are
very easy to grow, but select varieties for Wisconsin (brrrrr).
Old 02-01-2005, 03:47 PM

if you live anywhere near Milwaukee .... I am trying to get rid of the grasses from
my mothers home (my master gardener died this last summer) and I am going to rent the
house but got to get rid of the various grasses as it is spreading into everything
and I dont have the time to keep them under control. these are established roots, so
all you gotta do is dig em up, wash em off and bundle and plant them anywhere you
want. you can take all you want. Ingrid

"Romy Beeck" wrote:

I live in wisconsin where its cold now.I would love to plant oramental grass
in the spring. I have a empty lot next to me which has lots of wild and i
like to hide it with ormental grass. So what kind should i buy and should it
be by seed or plants? Any help would make be happy.

THANK YOU Romy

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Romy Beeck

wrote in message
if you live anywhere near Milwaukee .... I am trying to get rid of the
grasses from
my mothers home (my master gardener died this last summer) and I am going
to rent the
house but got to get rid of the various grasses as it is spreading into
everything
and I dont have the time to keep them under control. these are
established roots, so
all you gotta do is dig em up, wash em off and bundle and plant them
anywhere you
want. you can take all you want. Ingrid
I live 45 min. north of milwaukee but i think its to cold and froozen to
dig up right now but maybe in the spring i might be interested if its the
right ormental grass thank you

"Romy Beeck" wrote:

I live in wisconsin where its cold now.I would love to plant oramental
grass
in the spring. I have a empty lot next to me which has lots of wild and i
like to hide it with ormental grass. So what kind should i buy and should
it
be by seed or plants? Any help would make be happy.

THANK YOU Romy

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List

Old 03-01-2005, 02:31 AM
Mr. Mader

How tall is the grass??????

Old 03-01-2005, 02:59 AM
B & J

"Romy Beeck" wrote:
I live 45 min. north of milwaukee but i think its to cold and froozen to
dig up right now but maybe in the spring i might be interested if its
the
right ormental grass thank you

Be sure you take along a shovel, a pick ax, a crow bar, and an ax when you
go to dig the grass. I dug up a three year old clump of Zebra grass
(Miscanthus sinesis 'Zebrinus' - Zone 5) a year ago last spring, and the
process took almost an hour and a half. Over a third of the time was spent
getting the clump out of the ground with the rest of the time devoted to
chopping the clump apart and potting the separated sections.

As far as grasses go, Zebra is a relatively slow spreader, although it
develops a well anchored root system. I would check how aggressive the grass
is before digging and planting. Some grasses sold as ornamentals can turn
into thugs.

John

Old 03-01-2005, 10:11 AM
Ann

"B & J" expounded:

Be sure you take along a shovel, a pick ax, a crow bar, and an ax when you
go to dig the grass. I dug up a three year old clump of Zebra grass
(Miscanthus sinesis 'Zebrinus' - Zone 5) a year ago last spring, and the
process took almost an hour and a half. Over a third of the time was spent
getting the clump out of the ground with the rest of the time devoted to
chopping the clump apart and potting the separated sections.

We had a very hard winter last year, the Miscanthus sinensis I had out
by the driveway died....thankfully. There was no way I was ever going
to get it out of the ground short of a backhoe! I still needed a
mattocks to get rid of the straggler roots that survived, but it's
finally gone. Don't put one of these clumps where it'll block vision,
you'll be hard pressed to move it!
--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA