Old 09-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Pelvis Popcan

Default Should tall bearded iris foliage be cut back in fall?

Or should I just let it die and pull it off as it turns brown?

I had also asked in another thread... should any fertilizer be applied
in the fall, or should it wait until early Spring?

Again, I'm talking about rhizome Iris, not bulb Iris.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:02 AM
fran

I let them die back, then remove the spent leaves. I only cut the
leaves when I am transplanting/thinning them. Remember, cutting the
leaves back while still green means less nutrients going to the roots.

Old 10-08-2003, 01:22 AM
madgardener

let it die and clean it up come springtime. The leaves feed the rhizome,
protects it during the winter as mulch and then can be gently removed to the
compost pile once the new green tongues poke out. madgardener