Old 13-08-2003, 11:02 AM
Verizon

Default Predator squirrels? ? ?

I posted this before, but it seems to have gotten lost. Sorry if it's
repeating.

I have a nice pear tree which produces an abundant crop each year, but the
moment the fruit gets up to mid-size, squirrels strip the tree of every
single pear.

Any suggestions welcome.

Old 13-08-2003, 08:02 PM
animaux

Aside from physical barriers, squirrels eat a lot of my peaches. Taking one
bite out of each! So, I am going to plant another peach tree on the other side
of the property. Plenty of peaches for me and plenty to give to neighbors. I
also have apples, and berries of a few varieties on the property.

We only have at any given time a few red squirrels. If you have many, they sell
Tangle Foot which you can put on the bark of the tree where they climb up, and
keep all other things near the tree far away enough to force them to have only
one way up the tree. They will not mess with a nice thick coat of Tangle Foot.

Old 13-08-2003, 08:03 PM
paghat

In article , "Verizon"
rayj.balt@verizonDOTTnet wrote:

I posted this before, but it seems to have gotten lost. Sorry if it's
repeating.

I have a nice pear tree which produces an abundant crop each year, but the
moment the fruit gets up to mid-size, squirrels strip the tree of every
single pear.

Any suggestions welcome.

Here's an article I rough-drafted some while back, off the top of my head,
in this newsgroup, then later revised a bit more carefully for my website:
http://www.paghat.com/squirrelcontrol.html
Half that article is for comedy's sake, but some workable tactics are also
included.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"