Old 17-08-2003, 12:03 AM
dementia13

Default Shrubs... Lowes vs Nursery.

In article ,
"David J Bockman" wrote:

It depends upon the individual store... I have Home Depots I wouldn't think
of checking, while there are others that are adequately staffed and thus the
plants are watered regularly. If you can time your purchase shortly after
the shrubs are brought in, it's really the best bargain in town...

I've noticed plants at Home Depot which carried tags from one of the
larger local nurseries, so they're evidently relying on local talent for
some of their items. If you're lucky enough to have a Madgard working at
your local Lowe's, you can likely count on quality. If I'm looking for a
plant, I'm looking for it from local nurseries. But I don't make a trip
to the chain store without checking the plants to see what's in. I've
had good luck with Lowe's Depot Mart, (even Big Lots), and I've actually
had a lower mortality rate with things I'd gotten there.

Old 17-08-2003, 10:22 AM
Chris Owens

"Chris S." wrote:

Hi All,

Wondering if anyone has experience in buying shrubs or perennials at a
place like lowes verses a nursery. The stuff I see at nurseries is about
twice as expensive, but looks much healthier.

Should I stick with a nursery? Where do you buy plants at?

-Chris Swartz

Where I'll buy a plant depends a whole lot on the plant and the
cost. Places like Lowes generally don't have someone[s] who are
expert in plant care. So, the plants you buy there are more
likely to be stressed, or not in the greatest shape. Also,
because they are trying to get less-expensive plants to sell,
they often don't get first-quality from the supplier. OTOH,
there's lots of plants that can survive a little neglect, and the
cost generally is a whole lot better than nurseries. So, if it's
something that's likely to have survived Lowe's attentions, and
it's cheap enough, go for it. It's just like buying from
catalogues . . . if I want a named variety in a particular color,
I'll go with one of the upscale catalogues. If, OTOH, I'm trying
to fill a barrow pit with daylilies to make it no-mow, I'll head
straight for one of the discount catalogues. Sure, the plants
will be smaller; and, some of them are sure to die; but, when you
need a couple hundred, cost becomes a major factor.

Chris Owens

[IMG] code is On

A new and disturbing practice for some Lowes garden centers and responses. (I'd like some feedba McQualude Gardening 0 31-03-2004 05:46 PM
A new and disturbing practice for some Lowes garden centers and responses. (I'd like some feedba McQualude Gardening 0 31-03-2004 05:39 PM
Salt at Home Depot or Lowes? Bob Ponds 3 12-05-2003 12:45 AM
Cub Cadet at Lowes BRN Gardening 20 28-04-2003 08:44 PM
Lowes Gem R&V Childers Orchids 1 11-04-2003 02:44 AM