Old 15-08-2003, 09:42 PM
barbara

Default Bird of Paradise

This is the first year I have really tried my hand at gardening. I live in
Florida. I recently bought a Bird of Paradise at Walmart. It is still in
it's 3gal. pot. Any hints at how to care for this plant. It doesn't have
any flowers yet but I have placed it on a patio with a lot of sunlight. I
don't know anything about how much water or fertilizer if any i need to feed
it to keep it growing and someday produce flowers. Help

Old 16-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Do a google search for Strelitzia reginae. There is much info on this plant
on the internet.

Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.msue.msu.edu/imp/modzz/00001401.html

http://www.floralartmall.com/birdofparadise.html

om...

Old 17-08-2003, 02:42 AM
Litl Fish

One thing I've learnt from growing Birds of Paradise in Melbourne, Australia
(which has a slightly cooler climate than Florida) is that they don't mind
being in direct sunlight or too much heat (we get over 100 degrees over
summer though). I dug up a huge plant that was in partial shade on the site
of our new home and replanted it into 3 pots in full sunlight in our small
towhnouse garden for the duration of the 18 months before we could move
again. The plants flowered in their temporary environment, and I fertilized
them about every 6 to 8 weeks (varying with growing season). I've now
replanted them back in the heavy clay soil from where they originally came
(after installing adequate physical drainage and adding orchid mix as an
additional drainage base to all our tropical plants). It's mid winter here,
but the stalks look like they'll produce stronger flowers, despite their
moves. I note that you've got them in 3 gallon pots. May I suggest you try
for bigger ones, the plants can grow over 2 metres tall even in our cooler
climate, with correspondingly large flowers. Just give them more water in
Spring, as they flower in Summer (Down Under and in New Guinea, anyway!)

Good luck!
--
Casey Herman

bizArRTe® digital imagery and twisted IRONy® metal sculpture
t/a twisted IRONy®
Melbourne, Australia
www.twistedirony.com

om...