Old 16-08-2003, 11:42 PM
dementia13

Default ID a vine?

Hi, all. This vine has sprung up in my yard, and I'd like to find out
what it is. I've tried some of the online things where you enter a
plant's characteristics; they seem pretty poor when it comes to vines.
The leaves are rather dark green, about three inches long, and
heart-shaped like a morning glory, but more elongated. The flowers are
cream-colored and star-shaped, less than 1/2" in diameter and grow in
clusters. They are also very fragrant. I'm in Jackson, TN, zone 7.

Old 17-08-2003, 01:13 AM
Charles

On Sat, 16 Aug 2003 17:32:15 -0500, dementia13 wrote:

Hi, all. This vine has sprung up in my yard, and I'd like to find out
what it is. I've tried some of the online things where you enter a
plant's characteristics; they seem pretty poor when it comes to vines.
The leaves are rather dark green, about three inches long, and
heart-shaped like a morning glory, but more elongated. The flowers are
cream-colored and star-shaped, less than 1/2" in diameter and grow in
clusters. They are also very fragrant. I'm in Jackson, TN, zone 7.

Milk vine? actually that is a long shot guess.

--

- Charles
-
Old 17-08-2003, 04:06 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

What in the freak is a "milk vine" supposed to be?

The description of the vine is rather poor.

A picture would be much better.

Old 17-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Keith Copi

"dementia13" wrote in message
Hi, all. This vine has sprung up in my yard, and I'd like to find out
what it is. I've tried some of the online things where you enter a
plant's characteristics; they seem pretty poor when it comes to vines.
The leaves are rather dark green, about three inches long, and
heart-shaped like a morning glory, but more elongated. The flowers are
cream-colored and star-shaped, less than 1/2" in diameter and grow in
clusters. They are also very fragrant. I'm in Jackson, TN, zone 7.

Sounds like "black bindweed", also called "climbing buckwheat". It is a
very common annual weed adored by bees. Sorry, I don't have the scientific
name, but try a search by those common names and pictures will be available.

Keith

Old 21-08-2003, 01:32 PM
dementia13

Thanks, the leaves look the same but the flowers are neither the same
color or shape. I'll try getting a picture up in the next couple of days.

In article ,
"Keith Copi" wrote:

"dementia13" wrote in message
Hi, all. This vine has sprung up in my yard, and I'd like to find out
what it is. I've tried some of the online things where you enter a
plant's characteristics; they seem pretty poor when it comes to vines.
The leaves are rather dark green, about three inches long, and
heart-shaped like a morning glory, but more elongated. The flowers are
cream-colored and star-shaped, less than 1/2" in diameter and grow in
clusters. They are also very fragrant. I'm in Jackson, TN, zone 7.

Sounds like "black bindweed", also called "climbing buckwheat". It is a
very common annual weed adored by bees. Sorry, I don't have the scientific
name, but try a search by those common names and pictures will be available.

Keith

[IMG] code is On

Free Akebia vine to a good home (or bad, I don't care) Brian & Mary Bigler Gardening 11 11-05-2010 05:36 PM
Hummingbird Vine=Trumpet Vine? Suzie-Q Gardening 3 16-01-2005 12:05 AM
Vine weevil preferences Pam Moore United Kingdom 1 24-03-2003 06:20 PM
Potato Vine Pruning? Fleemo Gardening 1 07-02-2003 08:45 PM
thorny vine ID? kate Gardening 5 06-02-2003 02:36 PM