Old 18-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Phrederik

Default The DO NOT CALL registry

"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:48:10 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

the telemarketer started his speil......hooney....so I sugared up

my
"Atlanta" accent, and asked all sweet and Dixie like, "could yew

hang on a
moment darlin', my dawg needs me to let her out" and that took him

by
surprise, and I hear a mumbled sure......and I laid the phone down,

snip story

Telemarketers, particularly computer-generated spiels, are annoying.

am, however, *amazed* at the "tricks" people play on minimum-wage
workers. I have had phenomenal success in reducing this intrusion by
a) having an answering machine that all my own friends know I will
pick up immediately on hearing a known voice, and b) saying "I'm not
interested" if I happen to pick up the phone. Even just hanging up

is
a non-punishing option. Mad, you put your own phone out of

commission
for an hour -- who's punishing whom? It takes 2 seconds to say,
"Sorry, I'm not interested," and hang up. I have *never* experienced
an immediate call-back.

It's an invasion of privacy. First of all, if I'm eating dinner, I
don't want to be disturbed unless it's important. Having my carpets
cleaned is *NOT* important - don't call me. My Dad in the hospital
*IS* important - I need to answer right away! How do I know who's
calling unless I gag down what's in my mouth, wipe my hands, leave the
table, etc. and answer the phone?

Secondly, I work at *NIGHT*. I am asleep between 9am and 5pm. Do *NOT*
call me during the day.

Finally, If I want to buy something, *I* will take the time to go to
the phone book or drive to the store, etc. If I'm not looking for it,
I'm not interested. I make sure I get all the details about who's
calling, speak to their manager and vow "NEVER TO DEAL WITH YOU" and
tell everyone I know about the "CRAPPY SERVICE YOU PROVIDE".

I really don't understand why people either want to kill the

low-wage
messengers, or feel any obligation at all to listen to them. When an
unfamiliar voice says, "Hello. Mr. Frogleg?" I say "who is this?"

just
in case my dentist's office has hired a new receptionist. When the
reply is "Sears portrait studio," I say I'm not interested and hang
up.

Obviously, telemarketing works to some entent, or businesses

wouldn't
invest in this kind of advertising. [I believe direct mail (junk

mail)
ads count a 1-2% response as a successful campaign.] I also expect
guidelines for telemarketers includes disconnecting at *their* end
after 15-30 seconds of "dead air." It's not like they don't have
experience in this area.

Don't mean to pick on anyone in particular -- I'm sure if I keep
reading the thread I'll read all kinds of stories of "clever"

vent frustration, I hope everyone with a police whistle or the time

spend being "smarter" than the caller enjoys it thoroughly.

They deserve it and more.

I've considered getting my phone number switch to a billed 900 number
(or something similar) and selectively charging anyone who spams me by
phone $25 per call.

Old 18-08-2003, 03:36 PM
DigitalVinyl

"Shepherd" wrote:

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
.. .
Well the old saying is ... you don't get something for nothing.

If I get any sweepstakes or giveaway in the mail that I did not
request myself I assume it is typical marketing garbage as it has
always been since junk mail was invented. This is no different. Every
company that you choose to deal with in any way may call you for
several months after your last transaction with them. It really is
basic common business sense that a company that you CHOOSE to do
business with can contact you (like notifying you of sales, or
offering to notify you or include you in a promotion).

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)

Get an answering machine. Most, if not all, telemarketers won't waste their
time leaving messages.

What this simply does is delay the calls. Call services are largely
automated. My answering machine would pick up several calls everyday.
Some will call everyday until you pick up the phone. When I was home
and I answered the calls for a while my phone got noticeably quieter.
Basically the same two dozen services were constantly ringing my
answering machine multiple times a day. ONce I turned them down the
constant ringing went down.

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 19-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Frogleg

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:38:28 GMT, "Phrederik"
wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote
It takes 2 seconds to say,
"Sorry, I'm not interested," and hang up. I have *never* experienced
an immediate call-back.

It's an invasion of privacy. First of all, if I'm eating dinner, I
don't want to be disturbed unless it's important. Having my carpets
cleaned is *NOT* important - don't call me. My Dad in the hospital
*IS* important - I need to answer right away! How do I know who's
calling unless I gag down what's in my mouth, wipe my hands, leave the
table, etc. and answer the phone?

Do you Mace a religious soliciter or Girl Scout who rings your
doorbell and disturbs you? Shoot the mailcritter when he/she brings
junk mail? Do you believe the person on the phone has independently
devised a scheme to deliberately interrupt your dinner?

Secondly, I work at *NIGHT*. I am asleep between 9am and 5pm. Do *NOT*
call me during the day.

Unfortunately, there are no little signs you can put on your phone
line to prevent daytime calling. I am sympathetic to disturbances of
*all* sorts that interrupt sleep. I have a friend who routinely beeps
her auto horn when she dirves past another friend's house. I have
mentioned to her that trying to rest with a migraine headache isn't
improved by random beeping, and she says, "don't be silly -- I'm
beeping for Stephanie." There is NO way to eliminate stupidity.

Finally, If I want to buy something, *I* will take the time to go to
the phone book or drive to the store, etc. If I'm not looking for it,
I'm not interested. I make sure I get all the details about who's
calling, speak to their manager and vow "NEVER TO DEAL WITH YOU" and
tell everyone I know about the "CRAPPY SERVICE YOU PROVIDE".

As I mentioned, businesses would not invest in telemarketing if it
weren't profitable. CEOs and marketing managers know full well it
drives *most* people nuts. However, if it is 2 or 5% successful in
drawing in new business, it is worthwhile. The person on the phone has
already heard every complaint, curse, trick, ear-splitting whistle
over and over again. And he/she has absolutely no control over the
company's marketing policy. If you want to make an impression, write a
letter to the head office. Bring a complaint with some local, state,
or Federal agency. Evidently, a large number of complaints has
resulted in establishing the Do Not Call registry. Obviously not a
perfect solution. But yelling at the person on the phone will reduce
your problem by absolutely zero.
Old 19-08-2003, 02:02 AM
Warren

Frogleg wrote:

Telemarketers, particularly computer-generated spiels, are annoying. I
am, however, *amazed* at the "tricks" people play on minimum-wage
workers.

Few telemarketers are minimum wage workers. Some are prison labor making
even less. Others are con artists working solely for commissions that
are far more than minimum wage.

If someone doesn't want to be treated like the scum of the Earth, then
they shouldn't take a job as a telemarketer. The Burger King down the
road is still hiring, and they pay more than minimum wage. There are
plenty of minimum wage or slightly higher jobs available. One chooses to
make telemarketing their job. Except for those calling from inside a
prison, they're not being held captive and forced to annoy strangers.

Perhaps if we make life miserable enough for telemarketers no one will
want to be a telemarketer, and the companies will have to pony-up more
money for this poor minimum wage workforce that you imagine is behind
these calls.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

Old 19-08-2003, 02:02 AM

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 20:45:38 GMT, Frogleg wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:38:28 GMT, "Phrederik"
wrote:
"Frogleg" wrote

Do you Mace a religious soliciter or Girl Scout who rings your
doorbell and disturbs you? Shoot the mailcritter when he/she brings
junk mail?

Mace, what a great idea! Too bad its probably illegal.
Do you believe the person on the phone has independently
devised a scheme to deliberately interrupt your dinner?

Actually, that's exactly what they've done, haven't they?
Secondly, I work at *NIGHT*. I am asleep between 9am and 5pm. Do *NOT*
call me during the day.

There out to be a law against that.
Unfortunately, there are no little signs you can put on your phone
line to prevent daytime calling.
I am sympathetic to disturbances of *all* sorts that interrupt sleep.

Not that sympathetic at all are you?
As I mentioned, businesses would not invest in telemarketing if it
weren't profitable. CEOs and marketing managers know full well it
drives *most* people nuts. However, if it is 2 or 5% successful in
drawing in new business, it is worthwhile.

Not worthwhile by my standards, and I don't see why it makes it "all
right."
By this argument drug dealing and prostitution are also worthwhile
since they make a profit. At least they have willing customers.
The person on the phone has
already heard every complaint, curse, trick, ear-splitting whistle
over and over again. And he/she has absolutely no control over the
company's marketing policy.

Sorry, but they took the stupid job and should be punished for it.
If you want to make an impression, write a
letter to the head office. Bring a complaint with some local, state,
or Federal agency. Evidently, a large number of complaints has
resulted in establishing the Do Not Call registry.

That is correct, we have done all of that and they have listened. Do
you know how much the public outcry must have been for politicians to
actually do something about anything?
But the scumbags marketers are trying to bypass the law with every
loophole that they can find.
Obviously not a perfect solution. But yelling at the person on the phone will reduce
your problem by absolutely zero.

It will make me feel better about it for sure, and if it drives even
one telemarketer to quit in tears it will have been worth it. Why
don't they do something that is more constructive and socially
acceptable like begging for quarters or stealing candy from babies?

Obviously, telemarketers do not bother you, but you don't seem to
understand that they are a major frustration for many of us. I don't
want to hear from them period!

Agghhh, its ringing again! Fortunately, my call waiting (an expense I
didn't want, but definitely worth it) tells me they are a marketing
firm. At least these guys were honest about it, and I could ignore
them.

Swyck

Old 19-08-2003, 02:03 AM
Valkyrie

wrote in message That is correct, we have done all of
that and they have listened. Do
you know how much the public outcry must have been for politicians to
actually do something about anything?
But the scumbags marketers are trying to bypass the law with every
loophole that they can find.

Don't kid yourself, the loop holes were built into these laws so the scumbag
politicians could work both sides of the fence. Those companies make sizable
contributions to YOUR politicians. So in order to keep the votes from you
coming their way AND the money from the commerce flowing in their direction
the loop holes were carefully planned to make everyone happy, except those
misguided souls who are signed up for this farce and will still get
marketing calls.

Don't celebrate the silence before it's stifled!
Val

Old 19-08-2003, 02:03 AM
Bahia

wrote:

the telemarketer started his speil......hooney....so I sugared up my
"Atlanta" accent, and asked all sweet and Dixie like, "could yew hang on a
moment darlin', my dawg needs me to let her out" and that took him by
surprise, and I hear a mumbled sure......and I laid the phone down,

snip story

Telemarketers, particularly computer-generated spiels, are annoying. I
am, however, *amazed* at the "tricks" people play on minimum-wage
workers. I have had phenomenal success in reducing this intrusion by
a) having an answering machine that all my own friends know I will
pick up immediately on hearing a known voice, and b) saying "I'm not
interested" if I happen to pick up the phone. Even just hanging up is
a non-punishing option.

I had this same attitude until I began being overwhelmed with telephone
solicitors. I was getting 10 times the number of calls from solicitors
than I was getting from people I know! It does NO good to say "I'm not
interested" in these cases. One must say "Put me on your Do Not Call
list," or they will keep calling. Being inundated with phone calls can
be very disruptive to ones life, especially when you have a sick family
member in the hospital and you jump every time the phone rings!

I do not get testy with phone solicitors except when they argue with me
about putting me on the Do Not Call list.

Old 19-08-2003, 12:42 PM
Roy

My take o telemarketers is that they are a royal pain i the you know
what. Its bad enough to get inundated with calls during the normal day
time hours 8 to 5, but there are those that call late at night, and a
lot that like to bother foolks at supper time. I hate telemarketers
and will get very ill with any in a heart beat.

BTW the do not call refgistry is uspposed to have a loop hole in it
already that these scumbags found, so don';t count on the so called
solution to stop these annoying calls. Guess time will tell.

They really need to do something about spam and unsolicited emails
which is really out of hand. (my opinion only)
--
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
Old 19-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Phrederik

wrote:

"Frogleg" wrote
It takes 2 seconds to say,
"Sorry, I'm not interested," and hang up. I have *never*

experienced
an immediate call-back.

It's an invasion of privacy. First of all, if I'm eating dinner, I
don't want to be disturbed unless it's important. Having my carpets
cleaned is *NOT* important - don't call me. My Dad in the hospital
*IS* important - I need to answer right away! How do I know who's
calling unless I gag down what's in my mouth, wipe my hands, leave

the
table, etc. and answer the phone?

Do you Mace a religious soliciter or Girl Scout who rings your
doorbell and disturbs you? Shoot the mailcritter when he/she brings
junk mail? Do you believe the person on the phone has independently
devised a scheme to deliberately interrupt your dinner?

Naw.. I'm usually in my housecoat, having been woken up. Sometimes I
forget to tie it closed. : )

Old 21-08-2003, 02:22 AM

On 17 Aug 2003 17:11:43 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

The following came from a friend of mine:

This is to all of you who signed up for the "do not call" law......
This week I received a card in the mail that looked all right ---
It said "vote for your favorite cola - Pepsi or Coke- and receive a
complementary 12 pack." It didn't look suspicious--but for some reason I kept
looking at it.

THEN I FOUND IT !! At the bottom of the card there is a VERY small
statement. It is SO small it is hard to read--but here is what it says---

"By completing this form, you agree that sponsors and co-sponsors of this offer
may telephone you, even if your number is found on a do not call registry or
list."

This REALLY upset me and I just wanted all my friends to be aware of
this way to get around the "do not call" law. Just think how many people will
send this in and their do not call registry will be NO GOOD !!!

The company's name is MARKET SOLUTION. Please send this to all your friends
that signed up for "do not call." I think this is just one of what we will get
in the future -- so READ EVERYTHING before you SIGN AND SEND !!! AND TELL YOUR
FRIENDS ABOUT IT !!! PLEASE !!!

From the beginning I didn't believe the "do not call" list would work. The
government doesn't do many things right the first time and sometimes never.

I have an unlisted number and block anyone who blocks their number. I don't
ever register for a chance to win a free anything. Doing so is just saying
yes to more junk snale mail and spam. I don't give my phone number out to
*anyone* other than family, friends, and health care providers. Not even my
credit union or mortgage company has my home number. If I absolutely have
to give a phone number to someone I'm not comfortable giving it to then
I'll give me wireless number. I never get telemarketing calls on either
phone.

sparkie
Old 21-08-2003, 03:32 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

wrote:

On 17 Aug 2003 17:11:43 GMT,
c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

[...]

From the beginning I didn't believe the "do not call" list would work. The
government doesn't do many things right the first time and sometimes never.

I have an unlisted number and block anyone who blocks their number. I don't
ever register for a chance to win a free anything. Doing so is just saying
yes to more junk snale mail and spam. I don't give my phone number out to
*anyone* other than family, friends, and health care providers. Not even my
credit union or mortgage company has my home number. If I absolutely have
to give a phone number to someone I'm not comfortable giving it to then
I'll give me wireless number. I never get telemarketing calls on either
phone.

sparkie

For such a gun-crazed country as ours, it's a wonder no one's shot up
a telemarketing office. Makes no sense.
Old 21-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Salty Thumb

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote in
:

For such a gun-crazed country as ours, it's a wonder no one's shot up
a telemarketing office. Makes no sense.

I bet you'd be hard pressed to name a telemarketing firm, much less
pinpoint a call center or headquarters. Besides, it's more likely that a
nut job would take it out on somebody else first (somebody more convenient,
that is).

-- Salty

Old 21-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Salty Thumb wrote:

"Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A." wrote in
:

For such a gun-crazed country as ours, it's a wonder no one's shot up
a telemarketing office. Makes no sense.

I bet you'd be hard pressed to name a telemarketing firm, much less
pinpoint a call center or headquarters.

There's several in my neck of the planet that advertise out front.

Besides, it's more likely that a
nut job would take it out on somebody else first (somebody more convenient,
that is).

-- Salty

The job must suck rocks (at least at the firms that call me). Can you
say "disgruntled employee with domestic issues?"
Old 22-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Chelsea Christenson

Phrederik wrote:

It's an invasion of privacy. First of all, if I'm eating dinner, I
don't want to be disturbed unless it's important. Having my carpets
cleaned is *NOT* important - don't call me. My Dad in the hospital
*IS* important - I need to answer right away! How do I know who's
calling unless I gag down what's in my mouth, wipe my hands, leave the
table, etc. and answer the phone?

Answering machine. If it's important, they'll leave a message.
Sometimes they'll leave a message if unimportant, but you're still not
required to get up from the table.

Secondly, I work at *NIGHT*. I am asleep between 9am and 5pm. Do *NOT*
call me during the day.

With an answering machine and a telephone in another room, both set to
silent or low volume, you won't be disturbed.

Finally, If I want to buy something, *I* will take the time to go to
the phone book or drive to the store, etc. If I'm not looking for it,
I'm not interested. I make sure I get all the details about who's
calling, speak to their manager and vow "NEVER TO DEAL WITH YOU" and
tell everyone I know about the "CRAPPY SERVICE YOU PROVIDE".

And yet some people seem to appreciate the convenience of having
services and products offered by phone. If they weren't making money at
it, they wouldn't do it. So your disgruntlement has no effect on them.