Old 17-08-2003, 06:22 PM
TOM KAN PA

Default The DO NOT CALL registry

The following came from a friend of mine:

This is to all of you who signed up for the "do not call" law......
This week I received a card in the mail that looked all right ---
It said "vote for your favorite cola - Pepsi or Coke- and receive a
complementary 12 pack." It didn't look suspicious--but for some reason I kept
looking at it.

THEN I FOUND IT !! At the bottom of the card there is a VERY small
statement. It is SO small it is hard to read--but here is what it says---

"By completing this form, you agree that sponsors and co-sponsors of this offer
may telephone you, even if your number is found on a do not call registry or
list."

This REALLY upset me and I just wanted all my friends to be aware of
this way to get around the "do not call" law. Just think how many people will
send this in and their do not call registry will be NO GOOD !!!

The company's name is MARKET SOLUTION. Please send this to all your friends
that signed up for "do not call." I think this is just one of what we will get
in the future -- so READ EVERYTHING before you SIGN AND SEND !!! AND TELL YOUR
FRIENDS ABOUT IT !!! PLEASE !!!

Old 17-08-2003, 08:02 PM
madgardener

and speaking for myself who LOVES freebies.......that is a low down rotten
trick...........I myself just tend to look at the caller ID and then if the
number is "Not available" or an 888 number, decide to mess with them. I
picked up the phone the other day on an 888 number and no sooner did I speak
the telemarketer started his speil......hooney....so I sugared up my
"Atlanta" accent, and asked all sweet and Dixie like, "could yew hang on a
moment darlin', my dawg needs me to let her out" and that took him by
surprise, and I hear a mumbled sure......and I laid the phone down, called
Rose and Sugar and proceeded to let them out for real, and then never went
back, turned up WNCW on the radio and jammed out on music, wrote some stuff
on the computer and even went outside again and played with the dogs until I
got a bit overheated. (I'd kill for a real yard for them to play in, can you
see my in the driveway hollering at them to "GET OUTA THE
FLOWERBEDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) as Sugar instigates rowdies with Rose) When I
finally came in and remembered I'd laid the phone down on the poor soul, it
of course was silent.........works like a charm......GBSEG Side note:
When I tell ROSE to get outa my flowers, by jumpin' Jimminey she gets her
fat ass out, but fast. So when I tell them BOTH to get outa my flowers, just
the fact that Sugar adores and follows Rose most everywhere I get a pretty
good response, but she still has a bad habit of tromping her big feet thru
the beds. It's gonna take some time to teach this little girl.
madgardener up on the stormy ridge, back in a mucky, muddy fairy holler,
overlooking misty English Mountain cloaked in clouds and mists, in EAstern
Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset 36

Old 17-08-2003, 08:02 PM
madgardener

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo GOOD ONE, you've made a friend in Tom
fer life, Salty.....................
"Salty Thumb" wrote in message
c (TOM KAN PA) wrote in
:

"By completing this form, you agree that sponsors and co-sponsors of
this offer may telephone you, even if your number is found on a do not
call registry or list."

What happens when you give the 'sponsors' a fake name, such as 'I.P.
Freely" or "Noel Boty Holme"?

Old 17-08-2003, 08:12 PM
TOM KAN PA

Subject: The DO NOT CALL registry
From: Salty Thumb

What happens when you give the 'sponsors' a fake name, such as 'I.P. Freely"
or "Noel Boty Holme"?

____Reply Separator_____

You're transferred to the idiot list.

Old 17-08-2003, 10:22 PM

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 17:57:54 GMT, Salty Thumb
wrote:
(TOM KAN PA) wrote in
:
"By completing this form, you agree that sponsors and co-sponsors of
this offer may telephone you, even if your number is found on a do not
call registry or list."

What happens when you give the 'sponsors' a fake name, such as 'I.P.
Freely" or "Noel Boty Holme"?

I guess that you may not get the complimentary prize, which is the
point of signing the card in the first place.

I saw an article in the local paper about this kind of stuff.
Marketers (scumbags all) are working hard to find loopholes in the do
not call list, and this is one of them. Its a shame. And here I
thought there was a law. They need to close this loophole.

I ain't signing nothing for nobody no more nowhow. Nothing is free,
and if the price is $0, then you will pay some other way.

Swyck
Old 17-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Warren

madgardener wrote:
[...]

For some real fun, have a recording of a door bell, then ask them to
hold on while you answer the door. Make sure they can hear in the
background (nice and echo-y) a salesman giving a pitch at the door. Then
you yell that you don't like door to door salesmen, and then have a loud
shotgun blast ring-out, along with a scream from the salesman.

If the telemarketer is still there when you get back, start asking
questions, like where they are calling from. If they say from "such and
such company", stop them and say, "yes, but where are YOU located? I'd
like to come down and see you."

The fact that telemarketers and spam exist are confirmation that there
are enough stupid people out there to keep entire industries alive.
That's scary.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug:
Support me at: http://www.holzemville.com/mall/

Old 17-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Valkyrie

There's another little loop hole in that law, too. If you have done business
with some company who uses phone solicitors they don't have to honor the do
not call list. And if that company is a subsidiary or has subsidiary
companies you are on their valid call list because you've done business with
the original and now you are also one of their CUSTOMERS. After reading the
way that law was written I didn't bother to sign up. When I get a call from
any of them I immediately ask to speak to a supervisor, get their name and
the name of the company they work for and tell them this call is being
documented and I want off their lists, do not EVER call this number again.
If they call again my lawyer and the State Attorney General will be in
touch. This only works if you are lucky enough to already have state laws
against tele-marketing. After about 6 months of this routine I very seldom
EVER get marketing calls......and then I use Caller ID.
This telemarketing law still lets charities (broad interpretation and
politicals call. I think this 'LAW" was nothing more than some feel good,
vote getting by our gummint reps. It's not really going to do much.

Val

Old 18-08-2003, 01:22 AM
David J Bockman

For a definitive essay on the 'Do Not Call Registry', I invite everyone to
read : http://www.lewrockwell.com/rockwell/donotcall.html

Dave

Old 18-08-2003, 05:29 AM
DigitalVinyl

Well the old saying is ... you don't get something for nothing.

If I get any sweepstakes or giveaway in the mail that I did not
request myself I assume it is typical marketing garbage as it has
always been since junk mail was invented. This is no different. Every
company that you choose to deal with in any way may call you for
several months after your last transaction with them. It really is
basic common business sense that a company that you CHOOSE to do
business with can contact you (like notifying you of sales, or
offering to notify you or include you in a promotion).

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)
1st Year Gardener
Old 18-08-2003, 08:32 AM
Shepherd

"DigitalVinyl" wrote in message
Well the old saying is ... you don't get something for nothing.

If I get any sweepstakes or giveaway in the mail that I did not
request myself I assume it is typical marketing garbage as it has
always been since junk mail was invented. This is no different. Every
company that you choose to deal with in any way may call you for
several months after your last transaction with them. It really is
basic common business sense that a company that you CHOOSE to do
business with can contact you (like notifying you of sales, or
offering to notify you or include you in a promotion).

DiGiTAL ViNYL (no email)

Get an answering machine. Most, if not all, telemarketers won't waste their
time leaving messages.

Shepherd

Old 18-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

TOM KAN PA wrote:

[...]

Why has no one taken a 12 gauge to the solicitors' brainpans yet? Not that I'd
do such a horrible thing or even suggest it. Not in a thousand years.
Old 18-08-2003, 02:02 PM
Frogleg

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 14:48:10 -0400, "madgardener"
wrote:

the telemarketer started his speil......hooney....so I sugared up my
"Atlanta" accent, and asked all sweet and Dixie like, "could yew hang on a
moment darlin', my dawg needs me to let her out" and that took him by
surprise, and I hear a mumbled sure......and I laid the phone down,

snip story

Telemarketers, particularly computer-generated spiels, are annoying. I
am, however, *amazed* at the "tricks" people play on minimum-wage
workers. I have had phenomenal success in reducing this intrusion by
a) having an answering machine that all my own friends know I will
pick up immediately on hearing a known voice, and b) saying "I'm not
interested" if I happen to pick up the phone. Even just hanging up is
a non-punishing option. Mad, you put your own phone out of commission
for an hour -- who's punishing whom? It takes 2 seconds to say,
"Sorry, I'm not interested," and hang up. I have *never* experienced
an immediate call-back.

I really don't understand why people either want to kill the low-wage
messengers, or feel any obligation at all to listen to them. When an
unfamiliar voice says, "Hello. Mr. Frogleg?" I say "who is this?" just
in case my dentist's office has hired a new receptionist. When the
reply is "Sears portrait studio," I say I'm not interested and hang
up.

Obviously, telemarketing works to some entent, or businesses wouldn't
invest in this kind of advertising. [I believe direct mail (junk mail)
ads count a 1-2% response as a successful campaign.] I also expect
guidelines for telemarketers includes disconnecting at *their* end
after 15-30 seconds of "dead air." It's not like they don't have
experience in this area.

Don't mean to pick on anyone in particular -- I'm sure if I keep
reading the thread I'll read all kinds of stories of "clever"
vent frustration, I hope everyone with a police whistle or the time to
spend being "smarter" than the caller enjoys it thoroughly.