Old 24-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default Growing vanilla

Do your own research, Billy Bob.

Vanilla is a much larger and more widespread genus than you have been led to
believe.

Check the Tropicos database for starters.

http://mobot.mobot.org/W3T/Search/vast.html

Bill Ranseen wrote in message
In article ,
"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote:

Not so fast, Buckwheat.

There are Vanilla species native to and grown in Madagascar.

Bill Ranseen wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

Not likely. The vanilla beans are the fruiting bodies of a tropical
orchid from
Madagascar.

Actually the plant originated in the American tropics.

Really? I was under the impression that Vanilla planifolia is the source
of most commercial vanilla, Mexican and Madagascan, with V. pompona a
secondary one. Both of these, and a few other Vanilla ssp. I've
understood to be from the American tropics. So what else is there?

Old 25-08-2003, 07:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

That's not what he said.

The Vanilla species grown commercially for its beans is a Mexican species
but the genus itself is found throughout the tropics.

You should not be so presumptuous as to jump to the conclusion that "the
African and Madagascar native vanillas are of no commercial importance"
because that is just your opinion as far as you know and nothing more.

m...

wrote:

Not likely. The vanilla beans are the fruiting bodies of a

tropical
orchid from
Madagascar.

Actually the plant originated in the American tropics.

Really? I was under the impression that Vanilla planifolia is the source
of most commercial vanilla, Mexican and Madagascan, with V. pompona a
secondary one. Both of these, and a few other Vanilla ssp. I've
understood to be from the American tropics. So what else is there?

You've got it right. The African and Madagascar native vanillas are
of no commerical importance. The vanillas of commerce originated in
Mexico.

J. Del Col

Old 26-08-2003, 03:02 PM
J. Del Col

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message m...
That's not what he said.

The Vanilla species grown commercially for its beans is a Mexican species
but the genus itself is found throughout the tropics.

You should not be so presumptuous as to jump to the conclusion that "the
African and Madagascar native vanillas are of no commercial importance"
because that is just your opinion as far as you know and nothing more.

Ok, prove that they are.

J. Del Col
Old 26-08-2003, 03:02 PM
J. Del Col

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message m...
That's not what he said.

The Vanilla species grown commercially for its beans is a Mexican species
but the genus itself is found throughout the tropics.

You should not be so presumptuous as to jump to the conclusion that "the
African and Madagascar native vanillas are of no commercial importance"
because that is just your opinion as far as you know and nothing more.

Do you have any evidence that V. polylepsis, imperialis, etc. are of
commericial importance? Get back to us when you do.

J. Del Col

Old 26-08-2003, 03:02 PM
J. Del Col

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message m...
That's not what he said.

The Vanilla species grown commercially for its beans is a Mexican species
but the genus itself is found throughout the tropics.

You should not be so presumptuous as to jump to the conclusion that "the
African and Madagascar native vanillas are of no commercial importance"
because that is just your opinion as far as you know and nothing more.

I didn't jump to a conclusion.

Only three species of Vanilla are used commerically, planifolia,
pompona, and tahitensis. None of them is native to Madagascar or
Africa.
Planifolia comes from Mexico and Central America. Pompona is native
to the West Indies, and tahitensis comes from the South Pacific
islands.

V. planifolia is the source of nearly all commericial cooking vanilla
with pompona contributing a small percentage of product.
Tahitensis is used mainly for perfumes.

If you don't believe it, look it up.

J. Del Col
Old 26-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Not only do you jump to conclusions, you don't know how to properly cite
species names.

Never use a species epithet alone without indicating the genus to which it
belongs.Also species epithets are never capitalized, even when they are
derived from proper names. Check the International Code of Botanical
Nomenclature (ICBN) for the proper use of species names. Look it up.

It should be Vanilla planifolia, Vanilla pompona and Vanilla tahitensis or
V.planifolia, V.pompona and V.tahitensis, never Planifolia, Pompona or
Tahitensis.

m...

Old 26-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Do you have any proof that the African and Madagascan Vanilla specis have NO
potential commercial value? Being of horticultural interest is not enough?

Are you some sort of self-appointed god?

Old 26-08-2003, 11:02 PM
J. Del Col

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message om...
Do you have any proof that the African and Madagascan Vanilla specis have NO
potential commercial value? Being of horticultural interest is not enough?

Are you some sort of self-appointed god?

No, just someone who apparently knows more about the vanilla trade
than you do.

I don't have to disprove anything about the potential commercial value
of Madagascar or African vanillas. You have to back up your assertion
that they might have some; the burden of proof lies with you, not me.

J. Del Col
Old 26-08-2003, 11:12 PM
J. Del Col

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message om...
Not only do you jump to conclusions, ....

If the Madagascar or African vanillas were commericially important,
they'd already be in cultivation for that purpose. They aren't. As I
said, I didn't
jump to any conclusion; I stated the facts about vanilla production.
You have produced no evidence to refute what I said.

Never use a species epithet alone without indicating the genus to which it
belongs.Also species epithets are never capitalized, even when they are
derived from proper names.

But a word at the beginning of a sentence is always capitalized.
Check any grammar book.

Check the International Code of Botanical
Nomenclature (ICBN) for the proper use of species names. Look it up.

If I were writing for formal publication, I'd follow the rule.
However, this is the internet, not -Nature-. Informal use is
acceptable here. Besides, given the context in which I used only the
species names, no reasonable person would think I was talking about
any other genus.

J. Del Col

[IMG] code is On

Fluttering in clouds of vanilla madgardener Gardening 0 20-08-2003 03:42 AM
algae for vanilla PondWoman Ponds 5 14-07-2003 04:49 PM
Ping Benign Vanilla - OT - ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 2 06-06-2003 06:44 AM
Ping Benign Vanilla Nedra Ponds 3 02-06-2003 04:20 PM
Seeking Vanilla aphylla information Al Orchids 6 18-04-2003 07:08 PM