Old 20-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Bill Oliver

Default Growing vanilla

I will likely be moving to the mountains
of northern Georgia in the near future.

The average high in January is 49.8 deg F
(extreme high around 70 between 1949-2003), and
the average low 28.5 (extreme low around -10
between 1949-2003). The average high in
July is 89.3 (extreme 102), and the low 65.7
(extreme around 45). Avg total ppt: 57.9 inches/
year (min 3.6 in Aug, max 6.3 in Mar). Avg
snow: 1.9 inches/year (max 0.8 in Jan).

Are there any varieties of vanilla that
will grow in that climate?

billo
Old 20-08-2003, 05:42 PM
David J Bockman

The publication available at http://www.actahort.org/books/132/132_2.htm

seems very helpful.

Dave

Old 20-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
wrote:
it is a tropical orchid. not likely, unless it is inside a heated greenhouse

Yeah, that's what my investigations are pointing to. I read
that there were North American vanilla plants, so I thought
maybe there was a chance -- but all the ones I have found live
only in Florida in the wild.

billo
Old 20-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Jim W

Bill Oliver wrote:

I will likely be moving to the mountains
of northern Georgia in the near future.

The average high in January is 49.8 deg F
(extreme high around 70 between 1949-2003), and
the average low 28.5 (extreme low around -10
between 1949-2003). The average high in
July is 89.3 (extreme 102), and the low 65.7
(extreme around 45). Avg total ppt: 57.9 inches/
year (min 3.6 in Aug, max 6.3 in Mar). Avg
snow: 1.9 inches/year (max 0.8 in Jan).

Are there any varieties of vanilla that
will grow in that climate?

I have no idea but you might try posting to rec.gardens.orchids

I'd be interested in what you find out..
??
//
Jim

Old 21-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Salty Thumb

animaux wrote in
:

Not likely. The vanilla beans are the fruiting bodies of a tropical
orchid from Madagascar. It can take a dozen years in a special
greenhouse with perfect conditions to bring a plant to fruit. Thus,
the high price for vanilla.

I wonder how true this still is. Apparently until recently (I don't have
any idea how recent is recent), orchid growers had no idea that a symbiotic
relationship with a certain fungus was required for pollention/flowering or
some such. So formerly, orchids were exceedingly rare, but now everybody
and their momma can have one. Just wondering if vanilla prices are still
artifically inflated because nobody's the wiser.

-- Salty
Old 21-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Myrmecodia

Salty Thumb wrote in message ...

I wonder how true this still is. Apparently until recently (I don't have
any idea how recent is recent), orchid growers had no idea that a symbiotic
relationship with a certain fungus was required for pollention/flowering or
some such.

This is a little garbled. Fungal associations are not required for
flowering or pollination. Orchid seeds are basically naked embryos
without stored nutrients, so they depend on symbiotic fungi until they
grow true leaves and roots. Once the seedling has leaves and roots,
it is no longer compeletely dependent on fungi (although it may retain
mycorrhizal associations throughout its life).

Methods for germinating orchid seed on nutrient agar without fungi
were developed by Knudson in the early 1920's, and cloning of superior
orchids for the mass market was developed by Morel in 1960. Both
methods require skill at laboratory techniques and are not cheap.

So formerly, orchids were exceedingly rare, but now everybody
and their momma can have one. Just wondering if vanilla prices are still
artifically inflated because nobody's the wiser.

Vanilla flowers only last a day or so, and on commercial vanilla
plantations, each flower must be individually pollinated by hand. A
single vanilla "bean" is obtained from each flower, and the beans must
be carefully processed after harvesting. It is very labor intensive.

Vanilla orchids are epiphytic vines which typically must be quite
large before they flower. It is usually not worth the effort for a
grower with a hobby greenhouse to maintain that much vanilla biomass
just for a few seed capsules.

regards,

Nick

Old 21-08-2003, 06:02 PM
animaux

I know someone who has this vanilla orchid and it was 11 years before it
flowered. One plant occupies about 2/3 of the entire greenhouse, which is 40x40
feet. It's truly an amazing looking plant. Very basic.

On 21 Aug 2003 08:39:13 -0700, (Myrmecodia) opined:

Old 22-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Tracey

Just wondering if vanilla prices are still artifically
inflated because nobody's the wiser.

I'm fairly new to the whole orchid craze but, from what
I've gathered, the lowering costs of orchids is more from
the enhanced cloning/meristemming/whatever they do than
from finding better/easier ways to pollinate.

As far as the vanilla orchid itself, I have two and have
read a bit about it. IIRC, for vanilla to propagate in
the wild, the plant is usually *huge*. Long, at least,
with something like 25 feet being what I recall. It's
a pretty fast growing plant. I bought one a little over
a year ago in a six-inch hanging pot and ended up
moving most of it to a large, shallow pot about six
months ago. I built a cheap tripod thingy to place in
the pot for the plant to be vined around and up and
it's getting more and more difficult to find some place
to twine it already. A small piece that broke off when
I repotted it was placed back in the original six-inch
pot and is in need of repotting already because it's
outgrowing the space.

Another part of the high price for vanilla beans is the
process that is needed for it to be usable. My eyes crossed
about halfway through the discussion of the process so I
can't even begin to recount it, but it seemed so compli-
cated that I decided then and there to just enjoy any
blooms if/when they came and forget about trying to make
use of any beans that show up.

Tracey

Old 22-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
Ned Flanders wrote:

Hawai'i is growing them as a cash crop. And it is said to be the
finest in the world.

Thanks to you and the others for the responses!

billo
Old 23-08-2003, 11:32 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Not so fast, Buckwheat.

There are Vanilla species native to and grown in Madagascar.

Bill Ranseen wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

Not likely. The vanilla beans are the fruiting bodies of a tropical
orchid from
Madagascar.

Actually the plant originated in the American tropics.

[IMG] code is On

Fluttering in clouds of vanilla madgardener Gardening 0 20-08-2003 03:42 AM
algae for vanilla PondWoman Ponds 5 14-07-2003 04:49 PM
Ping Benign Vanilla - OT - ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 2 06-06-2003 06:44 AM
Ping Benign Vanilla Nedra Ponds 3 02-06-2003 04:20 PM
Seeking Vanilla aphylla information Al Orchids 6 18-04-2003 07:08 PM