Old 22-08-2003, 06:42 PM
Jay Chan

Default Use Landscape Rake to Spread Compost/Top Soil

I am wondering whether I can use a landscape rake to spread
compost / top soil when I am top dressing the lawn.

I cannot imagine how I can use a regular rake (for cleaning
leaves) to spread top soil evenly into 1/4" layer. I would
think that the excess top soil will simply leak out from the
holes in the rake, and I will have to go over the same area
repeatedly and I probably will still cannot spread top soil
evenly. This seems to be quite time consuming and not very
nice.

I am thinking of using a landscape rake to spread top soil.
Landscape rake is very wide that can cover a lot of area.
The soil contacting area of a landscape rake is around 5"
tall -- this means I can move a lot of top soil around.
The downside is that the teeth in a landscape rake is quite
long, like 3". This means it will only be good for spreading a
even layer of 2" thick top soil. If I want it to spread an
even layer of 1/4" top soil, I will need to modify it. I am
thinking of screwing in a long piece of hard board in the
inside of the landscape rake to cover most of the 3" teeth to
expose only 1" of teeth. I am hoping that I can use it to
spread an even layer of 1/4" top soil or compost. Will this
work? I don't want to try this unless I am sure this will
work because the landscape rake costs $40 and I will not be
able to return it if I have screwed holes in it.

Is there something else in the market that can evenly spread
1/4" layer of top soil or compost? I don't think I am the
only one in the world has this need, right?

I tried spreading top soil / compost by hands using the
technique shown in a TV show. But that was quite time
consuming and very tiring. I am hoping that using a rake is
faster and easier.

Thanks for any suggestion.

Jay Chan
Old 23-08-2003, 12:22 AM
Robin

Jay Chan wrote:
[...]

You could try turning the rake over to get the thinner spread. I use this
technique to push soil around my vegetable garden although I am not trying
to get a 1/4inch layer it does allow me to push the soil around to level it.

Robin

Old 23-08-2003, 03:02 AM
Joe Morris

I read somewhere that you can tie a rope to an old tire and drag the tire to
spread top dressing or level loose soil.

Regards,

Joe Morris

Please remove ZAP to email me.

Old 23-08-2003, 05:32 AM
Jay Chan

Tie rope to ends of a 2x4 and drag it across the area that has to be
spread. You can also use any other heavier piece of wood (or any
dimensions) that you might have lying around.

I see. The weight of the 2x4 will need to be just enough to press down
the grass, but still leave some room underneath the 2x4. The depth of
the space underneath the 2x4 will determine how thick we want the
layer of compost that we are spreading. The space will not only be
determined by the weight of the 2x4, it will also be determined by how
short I have cut the grass. If I can calibrate the weight correctly, I
will be able to spread an even layer of compost and top soil, and I
will be able to use this tool year after year.

Does it work for you?
How long the piece of 2x4 that you use?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Jay Chan

Old 23-08-2003, 09:02 AM
J. Lane

Hi Jay,
Both the steel rake and the 2x4 sound good to me. I use the flip side of my
steel rake for leveling out soil in my garden and amending parts of my lawn.
I also use it in spring to rake out the dead grass from winter. The
investment is worth it!
The 2x4 should be 4 to 6 feet long with rope tied to both ends. Any longer
than 6 ft. strikes some vague memory of something I heard about the
unweildiness of more length. Maybe it's a physics thing..I dunno.
The tire seems like too much weight and too little area treated. Am I making
sense?
Use the teeth side to rake the soil out after leveling it and to rake the
seed in.
--
Jayel
"Jay Chan" wrote in message
om...
..

Old 24-08-2003, 01:22 AM
Jay Chan

Both the steel rake and the 2x4 sound good to me. I use the flip side of my
steel rake for leveling out soil in my garden and amending parts of my lawn.
I also use it in spring to rake out the dead grass from winter. The
investment is worth it!

Because you are using the flat side of the landscape rake to spread
amendment, you are using it just like using a 2x4. Good. I was under
the wrong impression that I should be using the teeth side of the
landscape rake. Now, I understand that I should be using the flat side
of the landscape rake. Thanks.

The 2x4 should be 4 to 6 feet long with rope tied to both ends. Any longer
than 6 ft. strikes some vague memory of something I heard about the
unweildiness of more length. Maybe it's a physics thing..I dunno.

The 2x4 idea should work. But I will have to calibrate the weight of
the 2x4 and mow the grass to the right height; otherwise, I will not
be able to spread the amendment to the correct thickness. Seem like
using a landscape rake is easier in term of adjusting the thickness of
the amendment.

The tire seems like too much weight and too little area treated.
Am I making sense?

I don't see how I can use a tire to spread amendment. But this is
irrelevant anyway because I don't have a spare tire.

Use the teeth side to rake the soil out after leveling it and to rake the
seed in.

I am not exactly sure how I can use the teeth side of the rake to rake
the soil out. Would you please describe the way that you do this?
Thanks.

Jay Chan
Old 25-08-2003, 04:32 AM
J Kolenovsky

Use a "bow" rake (heavy stell head) upside down to spread the material.
Get the widest you can find.
$25 - $30 at Home Depot.

BTW, spreading a thin layer of compost on your lawn every year is an
excellent way to organicize your yard along with mulching your grass
clippings and using an organic fertilizer twice a year.

J. Kolenovsky
http://www.celestialhabitats.com

Jay Chan wrote:
=

[...]

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 25-08-2003, 08:02 AM
J. Lane

Chances are, when you start levelling out your soil, your going to find
rocks and other stuff that you don't want in the soil. You can use the teeth
side to rake the undesirables over to the edge so that you can discard them.
Also, when you apply the seed it needs to be raked into the top 1/2 inch of
soil. Read the directions on the bag of seed you buy, and follow them
carefully.
Do not use high pressure sprinklers to water the seeded area. Use a hand
sprayer or a misting sprinkler. DO NOT let the soil dry out while the grass
is growing, even if this means watering every three hours!
--
Jayel

om...

Old 25-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Jay Chan

Chances are, when you start levelling out your soil, your going to find
rocks and other stuff that you don't want in the soil. You can use the teeth
side to rake the undesirables over to the edge so that you can discard them.
Also, when you apply the seed it needs to be raked into the top 1/2 inch of
soil. Read the directions on the bag of seed you buy, and follow them
carefully.

Thanks for telling me the "why" and "how" to use the teeth side of the
landscape rake.

Do not use high pressure sprinklers to water the seeded area. Use a hand
sprayer or a misting sprinkler. DO NOT let the soil dry out while the grass
is growing, even if this means watering every three hours!

I have underground sprinkling system in my lawn, and I don't think the
spray is high powered. This means I should be safe.

Yes, I will water more often than usual. I am thinking of twice a day.
I can increase the frequency to three times a day just to be in the
safe side. This means I will be watering the lawn at 8:00am, 12:00
noon, and 4:00pm.

Thanks again.

Jay Chan

Old 25-08-2003, 06:02 PM
Jay Chan

Use a "bow" rake (heavy stell head) upside down to spread the material.
Get the widest you can find.
$25 - $30 at Home Depot.

I assume the "bow" rake is the same as landscape rake that has a 4-ft
straight metal head - one side has 3-inch teeth, the other side is
flat. It costs $39.95 in Home Depot. I believe we are talking about
the same tool. And thanks for confirming with another person that I
should be using the flat side to spread the amendment. Now, I am
confident that I should be getting a landscape rake.

BTW, spreading a thin layer of compost on your lawn every year is an
excellent way to organicize your yard along with mulching your grass
clippings and using an organic fertilizer twice a year.

Glad to hear that you also like the idea of spreading amendment on the
lawn frequently. My front yard only has 1" thin layer of top soil
(sandy soil underneath the top soil); this needs a lot of amendment. I
am planning to do this for my front yard at least twice a year (spring
and fall) to build up the top soil.

Jay Chan
Old 09-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Jay Chan

Thanks for the info that people has offered to me here regarding the
use of landscape rake to spread top soil.

I bought a landscape rake to spread top soil in last weekend. I used
the flat side to push the top soil around. I used the teeth side to
remove large objects. And I also find that I can use the teeth side to
spread top soil. Seem like this goes through the following steps:

- Use the flat side to spread top soil. But this initial step
doesn't spread the top soil very thin. The rake can simply ride on top
of a thick layer of top soil. We need the other steps to fix this
problem.

- Use the teeth side to make sure the top soil is not too thick in
any one spot; this also helps spreading the top soil even farther away
from where I dump the top soil. I also use it to remove large objects
from the top soil.

- Finally, use the flat side and pull it one more time to level the
soil and to make sure that the top soil is thin. Honestly, I only did
this last step in the beginning. Approaching the end of the day, I was
too tired, and I skipped this step. I don't see any problem of
skipping this step.

I don't see how I can spread the top soil without using the landscape
rake. My other rake is just too small; I would have taken much longer
to finish. Now, if I can find a machine to do that...

Thanks again.

Jay Chan