Old 04-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Vox Humana

Default Are the big gardening magazines worth the money?

"JNJ" wrote in message
..

Chuckle Yes, this does seem to be the trend. My big pet peeve with

this
is a different media -- namely TV. The landscaping shows on HGTV only do
projects on obviously well-to-do homes and they're all in the LA vicinity.
The vast majority of the plants they utilize in their shows only grow in
climates where winter is when the mercury hits 65 degrees farenheit -- not
very practical for 3/4ths of the continent (or even 2/3rds of the US). I
wrote the production company and they made it clear they're not interested
in the rest of us at this time.

Thank God! Most of the "gardening" shows on HGTV send in a crew that slaps
together a very crude garden that has little appeal to me and one that I
can't image lasting more than a couple of weeks. The "Landscaper's
Challenge" show is interesting, but I agree that they only do projects in
southern California and the budgets are enormous - not a situations that
most of us can relate to or learn from.

Old 04-09-2003, 06:32 PM
mmarteen

I miss the gardener's journal on HGTV. It was from HGTV Canada which meant
that at least some of the time they were showing stuff that would grow here
in Minnesota. Also the bulk of the show was showing real people's actual
gardens not public gardens with huge staffs. Not every garden was something
I wanted but each had something to learn from. Also the hostess of the
show, Kathy something, would go through the garden with the owner/gardener
and they would relate some of the process, including failures and things
they learned over the years. That kind of info is invaluable and the only
time you get it is when you are at someone's house.

mm

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

.

Old 04-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Lee

Chris Owens wrote in message ...

BTW, you can substitute time for $$$. If you budget out for one
real splurge every year, it's amazing how fast you can get some
really nice plants in your yard. Buy ONE of that to-die-for
perennial, and make it into many by dividing. Grow from seed
instead of buying plants. And, get to know your local gardeners
. . . we divided the german iris this year, and I gave away over
a thousand fans. In return, I've been showered with slips and
cuttings and divisions of all sorts of plants to expand my yard's
diversity.

Chris Owens

that's about what i do.. and just this summer i have a new neighbor
who is landscaping her own yard and i had some starts to give her and
she gave me two good banana trees that are coming along quite well!!!
she has a bunch of them! the one she gave me already had a baby coming
up!!!! among others, another neighbor has Gillardia and wanted fennel
so now we both have both!!!
love... granny lee
Old 04-09-2003, 10:02 PM
Bill Oliver

In article ,
Beecrofter wrote:
Heidi wrote in message
r.com...
Hi all,

I'm just curious as to how many folks see value in subscribing to
gardening magazines.

Subscribe? hardly worth it!
Visit the local library and thumb through them a better value.
Organic gardening is pretty much empty, Mother Earth News went yuppie
or lawyer 20 years ago. Even Scientific American has been dumbed down.
Taunton Press puts out a magazine called "Fine Gardening" I would give
as a gift but read for myself at the public library.

I disagree. I think if one finds a mag that one likes, then
it is not only appropriate but important that one subscribes.
People who like a magazine but don't subscribe have no business
complaining when it goes out of business. Subscriptions are
important not only for the money, but even more important because
it allows the mag to charge more for advertising.

I have no problem with using the library or web to *find*
magazines that one likes, but if one finds a magazine one
wants to see survive, then it does both the magazine and
the readers a disservice not to subscribe.

I am a fan of Horticulture magazine, and while I browsed the
web page while deciding whether or not I liked it enough
to subscribe (www.hortmag.com), once I decided the magazine
was worth supporting I sent in my check.

billo
Old 05-09-2003, 06:12 PM
JNJ

Thank God! Most of the "gardening" shows on HGTV send in a crew that
slaps
together a very crude garden that has little appeal to me and one that I
can't image lasting more than a couple of weeks. The "Landscaper's
Challenge" show is interesting, but I agree that they only do projects in
southern California and the budgets are enormous - not a situations that
most of us can relate to or learn from.

:-) Exactly! I've been so frustrated with that show. Sigh I was
disappointed in the production company's response about using plants and
techniques with a wider appeal but what can one expect -- it IS the left
coast after all. Grin

I like Gardening by the Yard -- Paul James hits all climates and he's out in
Oklahoma (Zone 6 or 7, I think 7) so it's much more realistic plus he
actually does remotes and his garden/landscape is obviously successful.
I can't stand the DIY channel's gardening show -- their host is too
annoying. Landscape Solutions is ok, although I don't care for the host,
but they suffer the same issues as Landscaper's Challenge -- little cross
applicability. Fix It Up has the occasional garden/landscape related show
but they're more home improvement in general as one would expect.

For the main part, when I watch the Landscape X shows it's just to pick up a
tip or two on fixing a sore spot.

James

Old 05-09-2003, 07:02 PM
Chelsea Christenson

JNJ wrote:

The landscaping shows on HGTV only do
projects on obviously well-to-do homes and they're all in the LA vicinity.

There's a new(ish) show called Bugs and Blooms which originates in
Canada. I haven't spent much time with it, but it's a magazine-type
show instead of a project show.

Old 05-09-2003, 07:02 PM
JNJ

There's a new(ish) show called Bugs and Blooms which originates in
Canada. I haven't spent much time with it, but it's a magazine-type
show instead of a project show.

Hadn't heard about that 'un -- I'll have to search it up. Thanks for the
tip.

James.