Old 04-09-2003, 10:02 PM
D Kat

Default Protect Tree Stumps

Thanks for that bit of information.... I'm glad to have that tucked away
now. Don't suppose you know what kind of oil they use on boats? (my friend
used to use something to make the mahogany trim on her boat all fresh and
new each season and then would re-oil it)...

"J. Del Col" wrote in message
"dkat" wrote in message

. net...
My 2 cents would vote for either the wood hardening resin or something

that
is absorbed into the wood such as cooked linseed oil ......

Linseed oil isn't waterproof. I know this from experience with rifle
stocks.
It looks great, but it isn't very protective against serious moisture.

Tung oil might work, but I don't know how well it would do with year
round exposure to weather, UV from sunlight, etc.

Any stump that is still in the ground has a big problem--insects
could attack it from below.

As you say, a penetrating polyester or epoxy resin would be best.

Then there's always the petrified wood stump...

J. Del Col