Old 31-08-2003, 01:12 AM

Default Help ID a lawn weed?

I'm in Massachusetts, and my lawn has a smattering of these weeds.
I'd like to identify what they are so I can then find an appropriate
means to control or eliminate them. Here's my description:

The leaf is almost round, with a little indent where the stem meets
it. I thought it might be a violet of some kind, but I haven't seen
any flowers. Of course, they don't seem to grow very high, almost
like they know exactly how high the (cut) grass is because the mower
doesn't touch them. I tried a broadleaf weed control (Weed Be Gone)
and it's yellowing the edges but it doesn't seem to be killing it like
it kills dandelions and other weeds. Leaves seem to be around the
size of a a dime rnaging up to a half-dollar in size.

Anyone want to take a crack at ID'ing them from that description and
maybe offering some advice on killing them off without affecting my
lawn? TIA!

Mike
Old 01-09-2003, 03:42 AM
Toonartist

Sounds like moneywort (aka creeping charlie or dollar weed). I have it all
over my lawn especially near my garden.

Try checking this to id it and get rid of it:
http://problemsolving.scotts.com/ind...tegoryId=23629

Kevin

--
Don't forget to check out my cartoon, Virtual Humor!
http://www.kevinduffy.net/vh.htm

Old 01-09-2003, 03:22 PM

Think you guys have it right on. It's pouring out but I'll go pick
some this morning to double check.

Funny thing is I've used Step 2, used Weed Be Gone, and it sort of
persists... but yup, we've had a moist summer, and a lot of this crap
is in the shady areas of my lawn.

I just have to do a better job of killing it!

Thanks!

Mike

Old 03-09-2003, 02:02 AM
GrampysGurl

Creeping Charlie

Run for the hills!!!!! Is there anything out there that will kill it without
taking the environment with it???

Colleen
Zone 5 Connecticut

[IMG] code is On

Please help identify this lawn-looking weed. Thanks. [email protected] Gardening 3 25-10-2007 03:42 AM
Please help me identify this lawn-looking WEED. THANKS. [email protected] Lawns 1 25-10-2007 01:54 AM
lawn weed help Dwayne United Kingdom 5 01-08-2005 08:24 PM
Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Duck Weed!! Troy Church Ponds 7 05-04-2005 09:22 PM
Help, weed name? Best weed killer? Bill Case Gardening 5 14-06-2004 04:02 PM