Old 25-07-2005, 10:03 PM
Dwayne

Default lawn weed help

I have searched for the name of a weed I have infecting my front lawn but
cant find it anywhere so heres a few clues, from which I hope someone can
tell me the weed and how to rid myself of it forever.
1: the only thing I have found which exhibits the growing behaviour is
Creeping Buttercup (Ranunculus repens)
http://www.crocus.co.uk/pestscards/?...ard&comboID=62
could that be the wrong picture?
2: this stuff has a geranium type leaf but the outer edges are zig zagged.
3: the roots are not very deep but they seem to spread just below the
surface and then it puts up leaves at various intervals.
I have been going out and ripping the stuff up as soon as I see leaves and
it seems to be reducing but if there is a more thorough way to get rid I
would like to hear it.

Old 25-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Martin Brown

Dwayne wrote:

I have searched for the name of a weed I have infecting my front lawn but
cant find it anywhere so heres a few clues, from which I hope someone can
tell me the weed and how to rid myself of it forever.
1: the only thing I have found which exhibits the growing behaviour is
Creeping Buttercup (Ranunculus repens)
http://www.crocus.co.uk/pestscards/?...ard&comboID=62
could that be the wrong picture?

That looks like creeping btercup.
The fastest way to ID a plant is let it flower but not set seed.

2: this stuff has a geranium type leaf but the outer edges are zig zagged.

Geraniums have various leaf shapes...

3: the roots are not very deep but they seem to spread just below the
surface and then it puts up leaves at various intervals.
I have been going out and ripping the stuff up as soon as I see leaves and
it seems to be reducing but if there is a more thorough way to get rid I
would like to hear it.

What colour is the flower and what does it look like?

A broadleaf specific lawn weedkiller will probably see it off.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 25-07-2005, 10:30 PM
Dwayne

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
Dwayne wrote:

I have searched for the name of a weed I have infecting my front lawn

but
cant find it anywhere so heres a few clues, from which I hope someone

can
tell me the weed and how to rid myself of it forever.
1: the only thing I have found which exhibits the growing behaviour is
Creeping Buttercup (Ranunculus repens)
http://www.crocus.co.uk/pestscards/?...ard&comboID=62
could that be the wrong picture?

That looks like creeping btercup.
The fastest way to ID a plant is let it flower but not set seed.

ok I will leave a little clump when it come up next

2: this stuff has a geranium type leaf but the outer edges are zig

zagged.

Geraniums have various leaf shapes...

See this is why I need help, LOL. My father-in-law knows his stuff but I get
jaw ache from stopping myself yawning. he goes into latin names and yaffles
like there is no tomorrow.

3: the roots are not very deep but they seem to spread just below the
surface and then it puts up leaves at various intervals.
I have been going out and ripping the stuff up as soon as I see leaves

and
it seems to be reducing but if there is a more thorough way to get rid I
would like to hear it.

What colour is the flower and what does it look like?

I have not let it get that far, been ripping it out daily.

A broadleaf specific lawn weedkiller will probably see it off.

Like the verdone suggested for that creeping buttercup?

Regards,
Martin Brown

Old 26-07-2005, 09:09 AM
Martin Brown

Dwayne wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message

What colour is the flower and what does it look like?

I have not let it get that far, been ripping it out daily.

Flowers make the ID much easier.

A broadleaf specific lawn weedkiller will probably see it off.

Like the verdone suggested for that creeping buttercup?

Yes. Essentially it kills anything that isn't grass. You can even apply
it as a spot weeder if only small regions of the lawn are affected.

Autumn weed & feed mix will have the same effect. Typically the fastest
route to eradicating lawn weeds is a combination of digging them out and
treating them with Verdone or similar broadleaf specific weedkiller.

NB Be sure to wash out your weedkiller sprayer/can very carefully before
using with broadleaf specific mixture in it on a lawn. Grass is
exquisitely sensitive to glyphosate (which kills every green plant). You
must ensure the tank is clean with no residues left in it.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 01-08-2005, 01:05 PM
Spider

Dwayne wrote in message
I have searched for the name of a weed I have infecting my front lawn but
cant find it anywhere so heres a few clues, from which I hope someone can
tell me the weed and how to rid myself of it forever.
1: the only thing I have found which exhibits the growing behaviour is
Creeping Buttercup (Ranunculus repens)
http://www.crocus.co.uk/pestscards/?...ard&comboID=62
could that be the wrong picture?
2: this stuff has a geranium type leaf but the outer edges are zig zagged.
3: the roots are not very deep but they seem to spread just below the
surface and then it puts up leaves at various intervals.
I have been going out and ripping the stuff up as soon as I see leaves and
it seems to be reducing but if there is a more thorough way to get rid I
would like to hear it

Hi Dwayne,

The picuture you posted is definitely Creeping Buttercup.

There are 2 other plants which self-layer - especially in lawns - and they
are Silverweed (Potentilla anserina) and Creeping Cinquefoil (Potentilla
reptans). I would not have described either of them as having geranium-like
leaves, however, but have a google and see.

Spider

Old 01-08-2005, 08:24 PM
ned

"Spider" wrote in message

Dwayne wrote in message
[...]

Any chance it might be Long stalked Cranesbill (Geranium columbinum) -
sorry, Dwayne.
Do a Google Images search on that and see if it looks anything like.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk
last update 31.07.2005