Old 31-08-2003, 02:32 AM
Mogie

Default frugal shrubs?

I live in the Pacific Northwest (zone 7). Are there any everygreen
inexpensive and hardy shurbs (at least 6 ft. tall) anyone can recommend?

Old 31-08-2003, 04:22 AM
Shell91

How about a Holly? We have a beautiful Holly hedge which easily gets to
over 6 ft. if it isn't pruned back. I am in zone 9 but I think Holly should
do ok in zone 7. Our hedge is probably 30 years old and is joined on one
side with a Prycanthia hedge of equal age. The Prycanthia used to be almost
trees until the neighbor asked if they could "trim it a bit" Next thing it
was around 3 ft. instead of around 8 ft. and nearly dead (thier intention
I'm sure, they don't like our hedge)

The Holly will put out suckers though. We just mow over them.

Shell

Old 31-08-2003, 04:12 PM
Pam

Mogie wrote:

I live in the Pacific Northwest (zone 7). Are there any everygreen
inexpensive and hardy shurbs (at least 6 ft. tall) anyone can recommend?

Dozens. Are you looking for something to hedge or provide an evergreen
screen? Pacific wax myrtle (Myrica californica) is one of the best - native
to the west coast, adaptable to a range of light and soil conditions, fast
growing, disease and pest resistant, can be easily pruned into a hedge form
or left as a more natural screen, drought tolerant once established and
widely available. A far superior plant to the more common English laurel or
redtip photinias everyone else plants.

pam - gardengal
PNW zone 8