Old 06-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Madgardener

Default Urgent Request

when I dug up my yard in Nashville, I too had a special lily. (It turned out
to be a pineapple lily.......that I had gotten as a freebie from Michigan
Bulb that had survived and grown to incredible purportions, and yes,
something came from MB that survived...g)ANYWAY, I dug around the
perimeter of the bulb and put it in a five gallon bucket with holes drilled
in the bottom and it lived there for 3 years quite happily. I'd have it
today but someone (we won't mention names) didn't get the bucket of dirt
with the dormant bulb in it when we moved into this house and the landlord
thought it was trash and carted it off before I got back to grab it back up.
(I also lost my good boots, my favorite fishing pole and a few other things
because he didn't have the patience to wait for me to get the remainder of
our things out of the old farmhouse, which was two days later..........some
people's kids..........) How large do you think this bulb can be after 20
years? Could a friend hold it over in their yard in a nice large pot
instead of storage? I'd say dig it up, pot it, and let someone keep it where
it can live instead of losing it in storage. let me know how it
goes........(would LOVE a picture of that baby..........)
madgardener
"Kudzu" wrote in message
I am moving from my house into temporary quarters and I have a lovely
voodoo lily in my yard (that I've had for over twenty years) and I
need to dig it up and store it. The lily still has the umbrella of
leaves. What should I do to ensure that the bulb survives while
in storage?

Thanks!

- kudzy