Old 09-09-2003, 03:02 PM
Lily

Default Bulb Planting

Hi! When is the best time to plant tulip and daffodil bulbs in Zone
6b? TIA
Old 09-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Phisherman

On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 09:54:59 -0400, Lily wrote:

Hi! When is the best time to plant tulip and daffodil bulbs in Zone
6b? TIA

Plant your daffodils and tulips now (as soon as they are available in
stores in early fall). That gives more time for the roots to gather
nurishment for better blooms next spring. Be picky about the corrrect
depth and spacing. Use a little bone meal (not fertilizer or manure
which can rot the bulbs).
Old 11-09-2003, 07:02 AM
B & J

"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 09:54:59 -0400, Lily wrote:

Hi! When is the best time to plant tulip and daffodil bulbs in Zone
6b? TIA

Plant your daffodils and tulips now (as soon as they are available in
stores in early fall). That gives more time for the roots to gather
nurishment for better blooms next spring. Be picky about the corrrect
depth and spacing. Use a little bone meal (not fertilizer or manure
which can rot the bulbs).

Hmmm... I think I might consider storing them in the vegetable keeper drawer
in the refrigerator until the middle of October. That adds to the chilling
time and still gives the bulbs enough time to do their thing after planted,
particularly in zone 6b.

John

Old 11-09-2003, 07:32 AM
Duane Runnels

Thanks, you just reminded me to put my new tulips in the garage frig. There
is speculation (fact?) that some fruit in the frig gives off ethylene gas
which causes bulbs to not bloom. Anybody verify?
Also, my local county horticulturalist prefers bulb food rather than bone
meal since he says the bone meal takes a lot longer to break down. I mix
them both together when planting.
I'm in z5 and get good results even though I rarely plant before Halloween.
The stores frequently jump the gun and stock bulbs early. I've bought bulbs
at late fall sales and planted in November.

"B & J" wrote in message
"Phisherman" wrote in message
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 09:54:59 -0400, Lily wrote:

Hi! When is the best time to plant tulip and daffodil bulbs in Zone
6b? TIA

Plant your daffodils and tulips now (as soon as they are available in
stores in early fall). That gives more time for the roots to gather
nurishment for better blooms next spring. Be picky about the corrrect
depth and spacing. Use a little bone meal (not fertilizer or manure
which can rot the bulbs).

Hmmm... I think I might consider storing them in the vegetable keeper

drawer
in the refrigerator until the middle of October. That adds to the chilling
time and still gives the bulbs enough time to do their thing after

planted,
particularly in zone 6b.

John

[IMG] code is On

Bulb planting SteveB[_11_] Gardening 2 29-03-2009 06:03 AM
From BULB to SEED and back to BULB JandK23 Lawns 0 29-04-2005 03:06 PM
Bulb-Planting Baskets Joan United Kingdom 2 06-06-2003 10:44 AM
Bulb Planting Tony United Kingdom 1 31-10-2002 10:37 PM