Old 11-09-2003, 09:45 PM
If not now...when?

Default Moth Insecticide

I have crain and possibly clothe moths in my Apartment. There are
also 2 cats. The people below us have the same problem (2 story
house) and we all want to spray, but are concerned about the cats.
The exterminator says they use CONQUER as a spray and fogger and that
everyone and the cats need to be out of the house for 4 hours, but we
are concerned that 4 hrs is not enough for the cats and that that the
chemical can linger for days on and possibly hurt or kill the cats.
We have used the PANTRY PEST before, but that only traps the adults.
The exterminator, obviously, said 4 hrs is enough for the cats (never
had any problems before), but that is coming from the guy who wnats
the business. ANy ideas or suggestions? How good or bad is CONQUER?
Any alternatives?

Thank you

Paul
Old 12-09-2003, 12:12 AM
Salty Thumb

(If not now...when?) wrote in
om:

I have crain and possibly clothe moths in my Apartment. There are
also 2 cats. The people below us have the same problem (2 story
house) and we all want to spray, but are concerned about the cats.
The exterminator says they use CONQUER as a spray and fogger and that
everyone and the cats need to be out of the house for 4 hours, but we
are concerned that 4 hrs is not enough for the cats and that that the
chemical can linger for days on and possibly hurt or kill the cats.
We have used the PANTRY PEST before, but that only traps the adults.
The exterminator, obviously, said 4 hrs is enough for the cats (never
had any problems before), but that is coming from the guy who wnats
the business. ANy ideas or suggestions? How good or bad is CONQUER?
Any alternatives?

Thank you

Paul

I'm assuming you mean grain moths. I don't anything about Conquer, but I
got rid of mine by getting rid of ANY food that might have eggs, using
the pheromone traps to get the adults. They kept coming back, but after
two years, I used one of those Electronic Pest repellers, and haven't
seen any since. The electronic pest repellers don't do squat for most
insects and I'm not absolutely positive they worked on the moths. I
guess it might have, since the moths are such bad flyers, perhaps the
ultrasound made it difficult for them to get around. Make sure you do
all three things, or else you'll never get rid of them.

The larvae like to crawl around the house to look for a place to pupate.
(I know because i've seen them and also shells of them that spiders
sucked dry). I think there is also a dust you can put in crevices to
kill them, but I don't recall using it. If you search for Indian Meal
Moth (which is what I had) you should be able to get more information. I
think the Virginia Tech site (vt.edu) was helpful.

Try to get a MDS sheet for whatever pesticide you're planning on using if
you go that way. It should have exposure rate for humans (but not cats).

Good luck, those things are the worst.

-- Salty
Old 12-09-2003, 06:02 AM
Thalocean2

I have crain and possibly clothe moths in my Apartment.

If you make sure all source of food for the grain moths is absent, ie. seal all
food containers tightly, won't the moths starve and eventually be gone? I
don't know anything about clothe moths though.

Good luck,
Laura B.
Old 13-09-2003, 01:12 PM
Frogleg

(Thalocean2) wrote in
:

I have crain and possibly clothe moths in my Apartment.

For grain (and chile!) moths, seal flour and grain products in sturdy
glass, plastic, or metal containers. A lot of foods come with moth
eggs/larvae/whatever included, so an occasional container may grow
critters, but they won't spread so badly. They *can* get through
baggies and cellophane. The surest deterrent is to store everything in
'fridge or freezer, which is seldom practical.

I keep moth-desirable clothing and other wool stuff (off-season) in a
cedar chest with some additional cedar paneling strips. Google for
"clothes moths" for prevention/control measures. There are some new
products and sprays for clothing that may be of interest.

Spraying an insecticide for moths is pretty much an exercise in
futility, and as you posted, probably not healthy for pets and humans.