Old 25-09-2003, 02:42 PM
Scott Lindstrom

Default Composting Castor Beans?

A couple questions:

I have a couple of Castor Beans that look great, as we've
not had a frost yet. Does anyone know, or can anyone point
to a reference, that details how long/if the poison in the
plants remains in the soil? I know the seeds are the most
poisonous part of the plant, but the stems/leaves (and
presumably roots) are as well. If I put the whole thing in
the compost pile, will it poison the compost?

It also occurred to me that the hot, sunny spot I planted
them in would be ideal for tomatoes next year. If there
is any poison left behind by the castor bean, will the
tomatoes absorb it, or just have their growth stunted?

Anyone know the answer to these questions?

Scott, remove takeout to reply, of course