Old 07-10-2003, 03:22 AM
Ollie

Default How to get rid of mites

I have seen these tiny red mites or spiders in our rooms. They are barely
visible and seem to be eating us too. We all wake up with a cluster of
small bites that resemble small mosquito bites that do itch localized in one
area. Then nothing for a few days, then we are attacked again!!! What is
going on? I am assuming they are from the large house plants we have
upstairs?

Thanks in advance

Old 07-10-2003, 03:22 AM
jammer

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 00:25:23 GMT, "Ollie" wrote:

I have seen these tiny red mites or spiders in our rooms. They are barely
visible and seem to be eating us too. We all wake up with a cluster of
small bites that resemble small mosquito bites that do itch localized in one
area. Then nothing for a few days, then we are attacked again!!! What is
going on? I am assuming they are from the large house plants we have
upstairs?

Thanks in advance

Do you have reptiles?

Old 07-10-2003, 02:02 PM
animaux

If you can see them, they are not spider mites. Spider mites are almost
microscopic and generally only viewable if shaken onto a white piece of paper.

You may want to dust all the carpet with diatomaceous earth, wear a mask and
don't inhale it, but it is non-toxic otherwise. You may have a wicked
infestation of dust mites in the bed, aka bedbugs. They too are microscopic and
live on the flaked off skin of our bodies. One gram of that dead skin we shed
can feed an army of them for 30 years.

You can solve that problem by buying impermeable mattress and pillow covers at
any shop which sells linens.

Victoria

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 00:25:23 GMT, "Ollie" opined:

Old 07-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Frank Logullo

"animaux" wrote in message
If you can see them, they are not spider mites. Spider mites are almost
microscopic and generally only viewable if shaken onto a white piece of

paper.

You may want to dust all the carpet with diatomaceous earth, wear a mask

and
don't inhale it, but it is non-toxic otherwise. You may have a wicked
infestation of dust mites in the bed, aka bedbugs. They too are

microscopic and
live on the flaked off skin of our bodies. One gram of that dead skin we

shed
can feed an army of them for 30 years.

I'm no expert, but I can see spider mites when they infest my plants. I
also believe bedbugs are different than you describe.
Dust mites are too small to be a biting concern.
Frank

Old 07-10-2003, 06:22 PM
Tina Gibson

"Frank Logullo" wrote in message

"animaux" wrote in message
If you can see them, they are not spider mites. Spider mites are almost
microscopic and generally only viewable if shaken onto a white piece of

paper.

You may want to dust all the carpet with diatomaceous earth, wear a mask

and
don't inhale it, but it is non-toxic otherwise. You may have a wicked
infestation of dust mites in the bed, aka bedbugs. They too are

microscopic and
live on the flaked off skin of our bodies. One gram of that dead skin

we
shed
can feed an army of them for 30 years.

I'm no expert, but I can see spider mites when they infest my plants. I
also believe bedbugs are different than you describe.
Dust mites are too small to be a biting concern.
Frank

I also can see spider mites - they are small but visible to the naked eye -
especially when they move.
Dust mites you will never see and never feel...and will always be present in
your house although if you can clean up after them (they collect in the dust
and help to make it as well). I am allergic to them so I am well aware that
you can never truly get rid of them. There are a plthora of other mites that
live on us on a regular basis - but we don't feel them or see them so they
don't bother us.
Bed bugs are definitely visible and you would know if you had them.
There are many small spiders that bite and can do quite a bit of damage
while you are sleeping - also no seeums that will bite you at night and are
quite a nuisance if they are getting in your house and you are trying to
sleep. They will leave red marks on you.
Then there are the fleas...
I would google on this one.

Old 07-10-2003, 07:02 PM
Phisherman

"Red bugs" or chiggers are too small to see without magnification.
They are related to spiders and require a host (squirrels, birds,
deer, reptiles, or humans). You can get chiggers by sitting on the
grass or walking through tall grass. The larva can crawl from your
foot to your underpants in 15 minutes and they look for a place to
burrow in, usually a crease or under an elastic band. After burrowing
in they spit their saliva which dissolves flesh, then they drink it.
One chigger only has one bite site. After several days of feasting,
they fall off the host, find a mate, and lay eggs on the ground where
the larva emerge and the cycle starts again. They are more of a
problem during warm days (70 degrees). Often chiggers will
congregate on one blade of grass, waiting for a passerby. The site
of the bite turns red with a white center, much like a mosquito bite,
and the itching lasts for a week or two. Use 91% alcohol (or I use
"Absorbing Jr.") applied to the site for several minutes should kill
the chigger. Scratching can infect the bite--don't do it.

HTH
Old 07-10-2003, 09:12 PM

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 17:52:18 GMT, Phisherman wrote:

[...]

Oh, god, I never read anything to terrifying in my life!!!

Are there chiggers in So. Calif, or is it a Southern U.S.
speciality? That's where I've mostly heard about them.

--

Persephone

Old 08-10-2003, 02:12 AM
Phisherman

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 20:04:02 GMT, wrote:

[...]

I lived in Ohio, California, and Tennessee. There are chiggers in
Ohio and Tennessee, but I never heard mention of chiggers in Los
Angeles. In Ohio, I got them by sitting in the grass while polishing
my car wheel rims. I imagine many gardeners get chiggers, and don't
realize it. There are some graphic images on the web, showing the
chigger in a skin pore or hair follicle. Yeah, it's a little creepy.