Old 14-10-2003, 06:12 PM
paghat

Default Name That Weedy Flower!

I'm expecting this one will be easy for folks, but it hasn't been for me.
This wildflower:
http://www.paghat.com/images/sweetsomething_aug.jpg
has been blooming all summer & still blooming now. It popped up in a
roadside sungarden as a volunteer, very tiny last year, a good-sized clump
this year. It's less than two feet tall. The clusters of blooms add up at
biggeset to the size of a fist.

I remember when I was a child this very flower grew around a stump with
yarrows on my great-gram's farm & the grandkids would pick them & gramma
taught us how to dry flowers using this thing. But I can't for the life of
me remember what she called them.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 14-10-2003, 08:12 PM
Tina Gibson

Oh my god - I had the same thing come up in my garden this year I presume
from the wild flower packet I threw around - I would love to know what it is
as well. It is definitely an everlasting but blasted if I could figure out
what kind!!
news

Old 14-10-2003, 08:42 PM
Marsha

Can't remember the name, it is an everlasting and used in dried flower
arrangements. I used to have this up North.
"Tina Gibson" wrote in message
Oh my god - I had the same thing come up in my garden this year I presume
from the wild flower packet I threw around - I would love to know what it

is
as well. It is definitely an everlasting but blasted if I could figure out
what kind!!
news

Old 15-10-2003, 12:12 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Gnaphalium obtusifolium, commonly called "rabbit tobacco".
It is also one of the plants commonly called "everlasting" and used in dried
flower arrangements.

news

Old 15-10-2003, 06:22 PM
paghat

In article ,
"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote:

Gnaphalium obtusifolium, commonly called "rabbit tobacco".
It is also one of the plants commonly called "everlasting" and used in dried
flower arrangements.

Thanks! That put me on the right track at least, & I was able to start on
the right page of the natives guide to figure this out. Gnapalium
obtusifolium has slightly pointed flowers making up a looser raceme & is
native of Eastern N.A. This one appears to be Pseudognaphalium macounii
with flat-topped barrel shaped flowers in a tighter bunch, & native of
right here in the Northwest (as well as all of Canada & most of the
northern US). My great-gran growing it around a stump in a meadow along
with yarrows seems to have been a common thing in times past, both plants
needing no attention & purportedly having medicinal values.

-paghat the ratgirl

news