Old 20-10-2003, 01:32 AM
tmtresh

Default Bush I.D.

I need help identifying a bush in my yard. I live in zone 6, Idaho.
The pictures are at

http://bolin.iwebland.com/Bush/

(The pics aren't very large, so they should be fairly dialup friendly)

The soil has been really dry. I haven't watered it much. The bush is
about four feet tall from two years of growth-- this is after it had
been cut to the ground. Hard telling how much it could have grown had
I actually watered it. Oh, and it is in full sun on the south side of
my house, with a week or more of over 100* weather this summer, so it
is very drought tolerant.

I'm thinking it could be related to the cranberry. I picked a berry,
broke it open, and smelled it. It smells sour- but definitely not an
overpowering smell. In late summer, it had very small white flowers.
All the berries are located on the bottom half of the bush, which
seems a little strange to me, but maybe it's because the top half is
new growth this year?

Anyway, If anybody can identify this bush, I would really appreciate
it.
Old 20-10-2003, 03:42 AM
Sed5555

I need help identifying a bush in my yard. I live in zone 6, Idaho.

cotoneaster
sed5555
Old 20-10-2003, 08:32 AM
David Hill

Thanks.....now I know the size of a dime..I've always wondered.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 20-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Ain't gonna do it.

Wouldn't be prudent at this juncture.

om...

Old 20-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Lyndon Thomas

"GEORGE"

Old 20-10-2003, 04:42 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

That was so obvious that nobody else dare go there...........again.

Lyndon, you put the B.J. in L.B.J.

Lyndon Thomas RemoveXX to reply wrote in
message news:3f93c23f.0@entanet...
"GEORGE"

Old 20-10-2003, 11:02 PM
tmtresh

I'm glad it was obvious to someone (Thanks, Sed5555, for IDing it
for me)I've never even heard of cotoneaster, let alone seen a bush
that looked like this before. But from all the sarcasm, I guess most
of you have. Thanks again for the ID.

Old 21-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Pam - gardengal

"tmtresh" wrote in message
om...
I'm glad it was obvious to someone (Thanks, Sed5555, for IDing it
for me)I've never even heard of cotoneaster, let alone seen a bush
that looked like this before. But from all the sarcasm, I guess most
of you have. Thanks again for the ID.

It is the terminology that generated the sarcasm - "bush", as in GeeDubbya,
is not a real plant term. Try using "shrub" next time and you'll lose some
of the sarcasm.

I am surprised you have never heard of or seen cotoneaster before - they are
as common as dirt but are pretty undistinguished except when in berry. There
are zillions of species for all range of climates and all manner of growing
conditions. Bet you'll start noticing them all over the place now.

pam - gardengal

Old 21-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Andrew Ostrander

The pronounciation is a little surprising. The bush is named after someone
named Cotone, and the final e is not silent. So the bush is a cot tone ee
ass ter.

Andrew

om...

Old 22-10-2003, 12:02 PM
Frogleg

On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 11:00:03 -0500, "Andrew Ostrander"
wrote:

"tmtresh" wrote
I'm glad it was obvious to someone (Thanks, Sed5555, for IDing it
for me)I've never even heard of cotoneaster, let alone seen a bush
that looked like this before.

The pronounciation is a little surprising. The bush is named after someone
named Cotone, and the final e is not silent. So the bush is a cot tone ee
ass ter.

This was going to be my next question. :-) I knew "cotton-easter" was
wrong, but couldn't recall the correct pronunciation. Thanks.

Old 27-10-2003, 04:02 PM
D Kat

Why do I see Daddy Bush holding a rifle with baby Bush clicking antlers
together....... ?

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
om...
Ain't gonna do it.