Old 20-10-2003, 06:42 AM
Stuart E. Weiner

Default Single trunk? Kousa, Amur, Trident, Triflorum

I have decided to plant one of the above--Kousa dogwood, Amur maple,
Trident maple, or Triflorum maple--in my front yard as the "featured"
tree. It is important that the tree have a single trunk, ideally 4 to 6
feet off the ground. Which of these would I likely have the best luck
with training to have a single trunk? Are there specific cultivars that
achieve this?

Thanks.
Old 20-10-2003, 03:02 PM
David J Bockman

All are easily kept to a single trunk, provided you start with a single
trunked specimen. The Kousa has a propensity to be a low spreader, meaning
many primary branches spreading out near the ground. The Trident Maple
enjoys suckering at the base so it might need periodic pruning to discourage
this.

Dave