Old 22-10-2003, 06:12 PM
Sharon

Default Pink Bird of Paradise

Does anyone have or has anyone seen Pink Bird of Paradise? I'm wondering
if they are similar to Red Bird of Paradise except for the color?

Sharon

Old 22-10-2003, 06:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Common names are often very misleading.

Do you have a link to a picture of this plant we can see?

I would suspect that it might be something in the Ginger family rather than
a Strelitzia.

Old 22-10-2003, 11:42 PM
animaux

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 10:03:01 -0700, Sharon opined:

Does anyone have or has anyone seen Pink Bird of Paradise? I'm wondering
if they are similar to Red Bird of Paradise except for the color?

Sharon

I've not seen them, but there are similar plants which sometimes have the common
name of bird of paradise and they are Heliconia.
Old 23-10-2003, 04:02 AM
Sharon

Cereoid-UR12- wrote:
Common names are often very misleading.

Do you have a link to a picture of this plant we can see?

I would suspect that it might be something in the Ginger family rather than
a Strelitzia.

Here is a link to a pictu
http://komaluyo.com/images/pinkk08.jpg

Old 23-10-2003, 09:12 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Your picture shows just how misleading and useless common names are.

The plant has absolutely nothing at all to do with Strelitzia or Heliconia.
It isn't even a monocot.

Its a Caesalpinia, an arborescent legume.

Old 23-10-2003, 02:42 PM
animaux

They call that plant Pride of Barbados or Texas Bird of Paradise. It drives me
crazy. I have a beautiful cache of seeds from my four foot plant. Anyone want
some seeds? Very easy to propagate. I can spare a few seeds, but I am growing
them for a local garden center...so don't have tons to give out.

Victoria-by the way, it also comes in a yellow. Does anyone have seeds of that
one?

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 07:42:42 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
opined:

Old 23-10-2003, 11:12 PM
animaux

Send me your address to: 0 remove the zero or it will bounce.
Here is a photo of mine this past season:

http://home.austin.rr.com/animaux/ne...n/Page_2x.html

Victoria

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:56:52 GMT, "Theo" opined:

Could you please send me some of those seeds?
-Theo
.. .