Old 25-10-2003, 04:02 AM
zhanataya

Default How do I kill gnat eggs in indoor soil, organically?

On 23 Oct 2003 17:55:51 -0600, Melissa wrote:

Is there an organic way to get rid of them? Like maybe garlic powder in the
water I give them? Something that will kill the eggs without harming me?

Drench with Gnatrol.

zhan
Old 25-10-2003, 04:12 AM
Melissa

"Valkyrie" saideth:

You don't need to make it complicated. Just get your little can, or jar

of
cinnamon and sprinkle it on the soil. Done deal, real easy. You need to

put
that watering can away for awhile, that's one of the big reasons you have
them, they are fungus gnats.

No, I use a water meter and only water when the plants get dry. This is
Colorado, not much fungus around here.

--
Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.

License plate frame - "Guns Defend Life & Liberty"
http://www.cafeshops.com/melissa_photo.7734333

Individual rights are not subject to public vote; a majority has no right
to vote away the rights of a minority; the political function of rights is
precisely to protect minorities from oppression by majorities ( and the
smallest minority on earth is the individual )." - Ayn Rand

West Denver area - Shaolin-based Martial arts, Rock music, Sci-Fi, Chess,
Libertarian, Objectivist, Chess, RKBA & Shooting.

Old 25-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Tina Gibson

"Melissa" wrote in message
"Valkyrie" saideth:

You don't need to make it complicated. Just get your little can, or jar

of
cinnamon and sprinkle it on the soil. Done deal, real easy. You need to

put
that watering can away for awhile, that's one of the big reasons you

have
them, they are fungus gnats.

No, I use a water meter and only water when the plants get dry. This is
Colorado, not much fungus around here.

There is fungus everywhere - if it isn't growing in Colorado I would move -
and fast
Tina

Old 25-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Salty Thumb

Melissa wrote in news:Xns941ED774B6573MN0SPAMCOM@
206.124.0.13:

"Valkyrie" saideth:

You don't need to make it complicated. Just get your little can, or jar
of cinnamon and sprinkle it on the soil. Done deal, real easy. You need
to put that watering can away for awhile, that's one of the big reasons
you have them, they are fungus gnats.

No, I use a water meter and only water when the plants get dry. This is
Colorado, not much fungus around here.

There was paper published in Nature or Science last month detailing the
surprising amount of fungal activity (during winter no less) under
Coloradan snow covers.
Old 25-10-2003, 05:32 PM
Salty Thumb

"Valkyrie" wrote in

" Sam" wrote in message
cinnamon is the way to go, it really does work, than slow up on the
watering.

--
Sam

Fergidaboudit Sam. If it isn't complicated, come with an MSDS sheet,
is preferably expensive and hard to find she ain't gonna pay
attention. Nevermind that Melissa could grab some cinnamon out of the
cupboard and give a good sprinkle on the surface of the soil of her
infested plants and POOF her gnats would be gone, literally in
minutes. Perhaps if we had given her dance steps, incantations, costly
and rare equipment to procure and complicated instructions for
administering this exotic remedy she'd have gone for it............go
figure.

Val

get rid of gnats procedure (I have not tried this myself, but here you
go)

what you need:
fixed (non oscillating fan)
standard ductwork (either 3x10 rect or round will be fine)
back flow damper for duct
cardboard box(es)
table
hungry and/or curious people
several dozen apple cinammon doughnuts

1 partition an area using the cardboard boxes
2 obscure the view to the inside so that it can only be seen by peering
though an opening in the cardboard boxes
3 create a wide mouthed chute directly in front of the box opening. make
sure it's immovable and that an average sized person will have to bend to
peer through the opening
4 connect the chute to the back flow damper and damper to a Y in the
ductwork
5 connect the other side of the Y to a duct leading to the fan
6 route the end of the Y so that the duct rests on the pot of the plant
with the fungus problem
7 turn the fan on and put some doughnuts on a table next to the chute
8 keep buying doughnuts until there are no more fungus gnats

You may need some manual adjustments for fan pressure or duct routing.

This will probably get rid of your fungus gnats, but you may have a
cockroach problem afterwards. You may also find policemen strangely
attracted to the area.

-- S

Old 25-10-2003, 08:32 PM
Tina Gibson

" Sam" wrote in message
[...]

Actually I believe you have to be licensed in the state of Colorado for this
type of extermination exercise - and don't forget to apply for the permit
that will allow you to install the proper piping and ductwork required. This
may require moving your house to the proper building zone area. Tina

Old 25-10-2003, 10:32 PM
Salty Thumb

" Sam" wrote in message
[...]

oh well ... back to the drawing board. :-)

- ST

P.S. Colorado fungus story:
http://www.planetark.org/dailynewsst...2127/story.htm
Old 27-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Melissa" wrote in message
"Valkyrie" saideth:

You don't need to make it complicated. Just get your little can, or jar

of
cinnamon and sprinkle it on the soil. Done deal, real easy. You need to

put
that watering can away for awhile, that's one of the big reasons you

have
them, they are fungus gnats.

No, I use a water meter and only water when the plants get dry. This is
Colorado, not much fungus around here.

You asked for advice so why the argument? Water meters are notoriously
ineffective and potting soil for houseplants tends to be very moisture
retentive anyway. For a totally non-chemical approach, repot the plants in
fresh soil, back off on the watering and place a thin layer of coarse sand
(aquarium sand works well) on the top of the soil. The gnats are disinclined
to lay their eggs on the sand. Fungus gnats are extremely common in
houseplants and this is SOP for their control

BTW, there are fungal spores everywhere, Colorado included.

pam - gardengal

[IMG] code is On

tiny white "eggs" on soil of indoor succulent Tom United Kingdom 12 18-11-2008 03:41 PM
Gnat Question stricks760 Ponds 29 25-03-2004 02:19 PM
Gnat Question stricks760 Ponds 1 10-03-2004 11:18 PM
Kill Ants Organically? Fish Edible Gardening 53 11-09-2003 04:03 AM
gnat hell minerva nine Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:09 AM