Old 10-03-2004, 11:18 PM
stricks760

Default Gnat Question

Gnats, everywhere, swarming in little clusters. They don't bite or
anything, and generally mind their own business.

Does this indicate any problem? If I want them to become deceased, is there
a safe way to do it around the pond?

Old 10-03-2004, 11:18 PM
joe

I know, the damn things drive me nuts. They are attracted to the salty water
in your eyes and other liquids on your body (try staying outside if you've
got a slight cut!)

I don't know of any type of control. Last year I put out fly traps to no
avail. I even tried blood meal in a fly trap - nada.

Joe

Old 10-03-2004, 11:18 PM
Ka30P

Predators!
I have a fishless pond full insect larvae and get lots of dragon and
damselflies hatching out of there.
(Mosquitoes are not invited and discouraged with mosquito dunks.)

One day I watched a fishing spider zoom around the pond snatching up gnats who
were bouncing along the surface. The spider would make short work of the gnat
and the wings would flutter down to the surface of the water. Amazing!

kathy :-)

Old 10-03-2004, 11:18 PM
joe

I just googled fishing spider. I gotta get me one of those!

Joe

Old 10-03-2004, 11:18 PM
joe

Old 11-03-2004, 02:32 PM
broomhilda

Get some Off, an insect repellant. That's what I use.

The only problem is that they are !@#$%^ pests and you can't ever get rid of
them all. Except in cold weather.

link.net...

Old 11-03-2004, 02:43 PM
BenignVanilla

"broomhilda" wrote in message
link.net...
Get some Off, an insect repellant. That's what I use.

The only problem is that they are !@#$%^ pests and you can't ever get rid

of
them all. Except in cold weather.

snip

Hmm...I wonder if there is a mail order place we could order natural
predators from?

BV.

Old 11-03-2004, 04:12 PM
Nedra

BV, I can only answer half your question - natural predators
for gnats are nematodes and predatory mites... this is
according to The Bug Store people here in town. Lady
says they work really well.

Nedra

Old 11-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Ka30P

I heard of a town in Maine that ordered
a bunch of dragonfly larvae to take care
of their mosquitoes. So somebody out there
must 'deal' in them.

They are so kewl to bring
into the house and watch. You do have to be
prepared to sacrifice some baby fish or tadpoles
if you want them to spend much time inside but they are a great sci-fi movie
critter to watch.

kathy :-)

Old 11-03-2004, 07:25 PM
KenCo

Ka30P wrote:
I heard of a town in Maine that ordered
a bunch of dragonfly larvae to take care
of their mosquitoes. So somebody out there
must 'deal' in them.

They are so kewl to bring
into the house and watch. You do have to be
prepared to sacrifice some baby fish or tadpoles
if you want them to spend much time inside but they are a great sci-fi movie
critter to watch.

kathy :-)

check the online "seed and plant" websites, all
sorts of benificial bugs are sold through them
including dragonflys and praying mantis.

http://www.kencofish.com Ken Arnold,
401-781-9642 cell 401-225-0556

Linux (SuSE 8.2) user #329121
Please Note: No trees or animals were harmed in the
sending of this contaminant free message We do concede
that a signicant number of electrons may have been
inconvenienced

Old 11-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Offbreed

stricks760 wrote:

Gnats, everywhere, swarming in little clusters. They don't bite or
anything, and generally mind their own business.

Does this indicate any problem? If I want them to become deceased, is there
a safe way to do it around the pond?

Try getting some yellow plastic and smear some motor oil on it with a
rag (the spontaneous combustion problem involves veg oil, not mineral
oils, so don't worry about burning the place down). Hang the plastic
near the pond as an experiment.

This is the sort of thing I'm thinking of:

http://www.marchbiological.com/L/misc.html

Sticky Yellow Cards

Target pests: Whitefly, aphids, fruitfly, gnats & wasps

The name says it all. They are cards, colored yellow with a sticky
coating. Pests from aphids to wasps are attracted to the yellow color
and get stuck and die. The best part is Beneficial Insects are not
attracted to yellow so they will work together well. Lasts until
completely covered. Use one or two in a greenhouse or garden to
monitor if there is a pest problem or place every 10 to 15 feet
depending on the level of infestation. 5 card per pack with hanging wire.

Pack of 5 $3.25

The rest of the page is interesting as well.

Old 11-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Jovon2723

Please don't laugh! Are Dragonflies
and Damselflies the same, or are they different insects, but in the same
family?
Couldn't stop thinking about this,
So thought I would ask.

Old 11-03-2004, 11:40 PM
Terry

I know of a place in Canada where you can order predatory insects
from. There website is at http://www.naturalinsectcontrol.com/

Not sure if they ship to the US though.
Terry

Small white/silver worms in potting compost - fungus gnat? Help plse Sunbeam United Kingdom 3 27-08-2004 07:12 PM
Small white/silver worms in potting compost - fungus gnat? Help plse Sunbeam United Kingdom 0 25-07-2004 04:03 PM
Gnat Question stricks760 Ponds 1 10-03-2004 11:18 PM
How do I kill gnat eggs in indoor soil, organically? Melissa Gardening 22 27-10-2003 06:02 PM
gnat hell minerva nine Texas 2 05-04-2003 11:09 AM