Old 03-11-2003, 02:36 PM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

Default oak tree roots and a plumbing nightmare

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Jason
Would thin-gauge copper pipe be better? Most plants have an aversion for
copper.

"Bry" wrote in message
s.com...
Why pull the tree down anyway? If you like it, keep it and just replace
the drain. Those old terra cotta pipes were flawd from the start, terra
cotta lets water seap through and actively attracts roots towards it,
which then later invade the pipe and wreck it. They also have lots of
joins with gaps that let the roots in. It should also be mentioned
waste water is full of nitrogen which roots are eager to get at.

Modern plastic pipes are the best in this case, they don't let water
seap through, so the few roots that grow towards it will pass over it.
And, should an expanding root shift the pipe it's flexible enough to
move slowly with the roots and not snap or become lose at the joints.
However, it's best to keep it clear of large plants and route it under
a lawn or driveway where possible - but it will survive almost all
stray roots easily.
--
Bry
Interesting question about the copper, although I'm not sure what effect it has on roots? However, if it doesn't seep/leak any water and is a litttle flexible, I suspect it will work very well... I would have mentioned it, but I never knew you could get copper drain pipes?

[IMG] code is On

Maple tree: small roots growing over (and into) large roots Tree Guy Lawns 0 18-10-2008 04:00 PM
Oak Tree Roots Hzatph United Kingdom 4 10-01-2006 10:38 AM
Plumbing Question And Progress Pics Link Mark and Kim Smith Ponds 6 31-05-2004 01:06 AM
oak tree roots and a suggested plumbing solution J Kolenovsky Gardening 0 31-10-2003 03:32 AM
New algae treatment, will require some plumbing work K30a Ponds 1 29-03-2003 03:20 AM