Old 30-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

Default Plumbing Question And Progress Pics Link

Okay, I'm to the point where it is time to start plumbing in my bottom
drain and skimmer tank. The external pump will be fed off of the
skimmer some 20' away ( or so. ) The pond will be approximately 10' x
16' x 2.5' deep. Target pump should be a 1500 gph. Seeing as how most
pumps I looked at have a 1.5" to 2" intake, I am planning to plumb my
bottom drain and pump feed in 2" pipe. At this point I'm not concerned
with the plumbing after the pump. Pros? Cons? Suggestions on staying
at 2" or going larger, smaller?? Latest progress photos.
http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond4.htm

Old 30-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Go Fig

In article , Mark and Kim Smith
wrote:

Okay, I'm to the point where it is time to start plumbing in my bottom
drain and skimmer tank. The external pump will be fed off of the
skimmer some 20' away ( or so. ) The pond will be approximately 10' x
16' x 2.5' deep. Target pump should be a 1500 gph. Seeing as how most
pumps I looked at have a 1.5" to 2" intake, I am planning to plumb my
bottom drain and pump feed in 2" pipe. At this point I'm not concerned
with the plumbing after the pump. Pros? Cons? Suggestions on staying
at 2" or going larger, smaller?? Latest progress photos.
http://www.bunchobikes.com/pond4.htm

Stay with 2" on the bottom feed and you can use 1 1/2" for the skimmer
line which can tee into the bottom feed line. I would put a gate valve
on both lines so you can selectively trim each line. You may want to
connect a vacuum to the skimmer line.

For the return line (kidda depends on the run length and head), but I
would go with 1 1/2" but I would plumb in a waste line Tee with a hose
bib for vinyl pool hose. I'd also plumb a line that goes directly back
to the pond, bypassing any waterfall... both w/ gate valves to trim.

1500 gph, seems too small, especially if it has 2" and 1 1/2" out,
which pump ?

jay
Sun May 30, 2004

Old 30-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

wrote:

[...]

Don't know which pump. It does have to be external and energy
conservation a huge factor. Suggestions? TIA.

The bottom drain is going to be plumbed into the side of the skimmer
box. The skimmer box is a multi chambered box based on a "clarifier."
Basically a multi chamber settling box. Chamber one is the skimmer,
chamber two allows the bottom drain to feed into it, chamber three is
the final settling chamber where the pump will draw from, pulling from
the previous two chambers.

Old 30-05-2004, 11:07 PM
Go Fig

wrote:

[...]

The Sequence Primer.

The bottom drain is going to be plumbed into the side of the skimmer
box. The skimmer box is a multi chambered box based on a "clarifier."
Basically a multi chamber settling box.
Chamber one is the skimmer,

Does it have a weir flap at water level ?

chamber two allows the bottom drain to feed into it,

Is by gravity or is this box pressurised ?

jay
Sun May 30, 2004

Old 30-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Mark and Kim Smith

wrote:

[...]

I've heard good stuff about these pumps! They are on the top of my list
to look at.

The bottom drain is going to be plumbed into the side of the skimmer
box. The skimmer box is a multi chambered box based on a "clarifier."
Basically a multi chamber settling box.
Chamber one is the skimmer,

Does it have a weir flap at water level ?

It is a DIY item. I wasn't planning on a Weir Flap. Water level was
going to be right above the skimmer opening, 1/4" to 1/2".

chamber two allows the bottom drain to feed into it,

Is by gravity or is this box pressurised ?

Gravity or flow ( draw. ) Similar principals are used on a large scale
as in a sump clarifier for water and oil / debris seperating in the
automotive world.

Mark

Old 31-05-2004, 12:03 AM
Go Fig

snip-

Don't know which pump. It does have to be external and energy
conservation a huge factor. Suggestions? TIA.

The Sequence Primer.

I've heard good stuff about these pumps! They are on the top of my list
to look at.

The bottom drain is going to be plumbed into the side of the skimmer
box. The skimmer box is a multi chambered box based on a "clarifier."
Basically a multi chamber settling box.
Chamber one is the skimmer,

Does it have a weir flap at water level ?

It is a DIY item. I wasn't planning on a Weir Flap. Water level was
going to be right above the skimmer opening, 1/4" to 1/2".

With a fountain, that could be 1 days evaporation. The weir gives your
that latitude and is a much better surface skimmer for bugs.

chamber two allows the bottom drain to feed into it,

Is by gravity or is this box pressurised ?

Gravity or flow ( draw. ) Similar principals are used on a large scale
as in a sump clarifier for water and oil / debris seperating in the
automotive world.

You think that poly box shown in big enough for these types of flow
rates... but Im not exactly sure your idea... one thing I always hate
is when I can't adjust the trim on my intakes... especially a surface
skimmer line.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 31-05-2004, 01:06 AM
RichToyBox

For the plumbing, the pumps are much less efficient at pulling water than
pushing water. Most of the pumps that I have seen have smaller input and
output plumbing connections than the manufacturers recommend for the main
run of plumbing. It is easy to use a bushing at the pump to reduce the
plumbing to the size of the pump inlet. The larger the pipe, the less head
loss, like friction, and the easier it is for the pump to give the desired
flow.
--
RichToyBox