Old 03-11-2003, 06:12 PM
RMartino

Default Weeping Katsura problems

This past spring I planted a Weeping Katsura in a area of light shade and good
soil. My soil type is heavy in clay, but I have been conditioning it to aid in
drainage and organics. I live in zone 6.

The tree never really looked great although it did leaf out. I never got the
beautiful fall colors. In fact over the last month the leaves turned brown and
just fell off. Many of the new growth branches do not look well and some are
dead.

It has been an abornally wet summer in SE PA. The the combination of too much
water and planting shock causing the symtoms outlined?

Bob
Old 03-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Pam - gardengal

"RMartino" wrote in message
This past spring I planted a Weeping Katsura in a area of light shade and

good
soil. My soil type is heavy in clay, but I have been conditioning it to

aid in
drainage and organics. I live in zone 6.

The tree never really looked great although it did leaf out. I never got

the
beautiful fall colors. In fact over the last month the leaves turned

brown and
just fell off. Many of the new growth branches do not look well and some

are
dead.

It has been an abornally wet summer in SE PA. The the combination of too

much
water and planting shock causing the symtoms outlined?

Bob

Sounds likely. I don't find katsuras to be very drought tolerant, but they
don't care for overly wet conditions, either. Good drainage is essential. We
had a very dry and hot (for us) summer and the foliage on mine did much the
same thing. FWIW, I don't find the weeping forms color up as well as the
uprights - I have a Heronswood Globe that is containerized and still
exhibitng nice fall color. My magnificum just gets a halfhearted golden
yellow.

pam - gardengal

[IMG] code is On

Katsura (0/2) joevan[_3_] Garden Photos 6 09-10-2010 10:15 PM
Katsura maple Air layering Theo Bonsai 0 21-04-2004 11:03 AM
Mosquito Magnet Pro problems - anyone else having problems? Bruce Berger Gardening 2 04-09-2003 12:02 AM
Small weeping trees Rod United Kingdom 5 31-03-2003 02:44 AM
Salix Caprea Pendula? (Weeping Pussy Willow) janet.bennett United Kingdom 1 29-03-2003 08:44 AM