Old 03-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Melissa

Default What's this plant???

This had white trumpet shaped flowers on it, which were about 6" long, in
September. Does anyone know what it is?

http://www.dimensional.com/~melissa/...0plant%202.JPG

--
Yours In Liberty, Melissa - Colorado, U.S.A.
FOR SALE: PARA 1445 LDA with EXTRAS, ALSO LOCAL AMMO:

License plate frame - "Guns Defend Life & Liberty"
http://www.cafeshops.com/melissa_photo.7734333

West Denver area - Shaolin-based Martial arts, Rock music, Sci-Fi, Chess,
Libertarian, Objectivist, Chess, RKBA & Shooting.

Old 03-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Didn't we just answer this question?

Haven't you been paying attention?

Its a freaking Datura. Look it up.

BTW, the picture is completely worthless if it doesn't show the flowers or
fruit.

Old 03-11-2003, 11:42 PM
Melissa

"Cereoid-UR12-" saideth:

Didn't we just answer this question?

Haven't you been paying attention?

Its a freaking Datura. Look it up.

BTW, the picture is completely worthless if it doesn't show the flowers

or
fruit.

The freakin picture that everyone has been showing me of Datura, had leaves
that were jagged, not like this!

Old 04-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

On 3 Nov 2003 15:51:34 -0700, Melissa wrote:

This had white trumpet shaped flowers on it, which were about 6" long, in
September. Does anyone know what it is?

http://www.dimensional.com/~melissa/...0plant%202.JPG

Some kind of datura. They're late to germinate, but quick to grow and will keep
going until frost.

Old 04-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

There are several different species of Datura, not just one, and they don't
all have "jagged" leaves, Missy.

Look it up yourself.

http://www.americanbrugmansia-datura...nus_datura.htm

"Cereoid-UR12-" saideth:

Old 04-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Melissa

"Jim Shaffer, Jr." saideth:

On 3 Nov 2003 15:51:34 -0700, Melissa wrote:

This had white trumpet shaped flowers on it, which were about 6" long,
in September. Does anyone know what it is?

http://www.dimensional.com/~melissa/...0plant%202.JPG

Some kind of datura. They're late to germinate, but quick to grow and
will keep going until frost.

I'm getting confusing info on how they'll grow in Colorado. Some say as an
annual, some say perrenial. Do the species vary that way too?

Old 04-11-2003, 06:42 AM
Sed5555

This had white trumpet shaped flowers on it, which were about 6" long, in
September. Does anyone know what it is?

From the shape of the leaves, it appears to more likely be a moonflower vine
(Ipomoea alba), than datura. Moonflower is a fragrant cousin of morning glory,
but it has huge fragrant, white blooms. Take a look at this webpage and see if
it looks like your flowers (you can't see it very well, but they are trumpet
shaped and at least 6").
http://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopE...s/moonflwr.htm
sed5555
Old 04-11-2003, 01:32 PM
animaux

On 3 Nov 2003 16:40:25 -0700, Melissa opined:

The freakin picture that everyone has been showing me of Datura, had leaves
that were jagged, not like this!

Plants are identified by their flower parts, not their foliage. The plant you
have is Datura inoxia. There are other datura varieties and cultivars which
have different shaped leaves, D.metel has a double flower, D.wrightii is a huge
plant with huge flowers with slightly lavender throats (and I mean slightly).
So, to have a plant identified you'd need to include a photo of the flower, cone
or seed pod. In some cases you can identify by the seed pod, not always.
Old 04-11-2003, 01:42 PM
animaux

On 3 Nov 2003 18:04:01 -0700, Melissa opined:

I'm getting confusing info on how they'll grow in Colorado. Some say as an
annual, some say perrenial. Do the species vary that way too?

Not really. Datura are not hardy much further north than USDA Zone 7b and
that's pushing it. They are perennial in 8b where I live, in Texas. They may
not be perennial in 8b in Washington State. It all depends on many
circumstances. They will reseed, that I can assure you.

Victoria
Old 04-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

You didn't check out the photo very carefully, did you Sedentary?

It most definitely is a Datura and not at all a vine.

Sed5555 wrote in message
This had white trumpet shaped flowers on it, which were about 6" long,

in
September. Does anyone know what it is?

From the shape of the leaves, it appears to more likely be a moonflower

vine

Old 04-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Jim Shaffer, Jr.

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 13:33:12 GMT, animaux wrote:

I'm getting confusing info on how they'll grow in Colorado. Some say as an
annual, some say perrenial. Do the species vary that way too?

Not really. Datura are not hardy much further north than USDA Zone 7b and
that's pushing it. They are perennial in 8b where I live, in Texas. They may
not be perennial in 8b in Washington State. It all depends on many
circumstances. They will reseed, that I can assure you.

Here in Pennsylvania on the border of 5b and 6a, I have daturas emerge from the
roots somewhere below ground (all visible stems have died) about every other
year, depending on how cold the winter was and where they're planted. The
shoots that come up are much too large to be seedlings.

I have never bothered to figure out what species it is. It's a white variety
that everyone has had forever, but I don't think it's Jimson Weed. It has
non-scalloped leaves.

Every time I've grown colored varieties they haven't survived the winter, but
they've been in poorer locations.

Old 04-11-2003, 07:02 PM
animaux

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 11:52:57 -0500, "Jim Shaffer, Jr."
opined:

[...]

You're experience is not common. However, you have micro climate and that is
what will determine this situation. I rarely have any return from the original
roots and I live in warm climate winter. I think that may have to do more with
moisture in soil than anything else. We get fall rains and the soil stays
pretty wet most of the winter and can cause the crown of the plant to rot. I'm
never in any shortage of datura of many species.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Melissa

animaux saideth:

Datura inoxia

It appears to be. I saw some of the seed pods on it, that look like the
ones I found on the web for this.

Old 05-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Melissa

animaux saideth:

On 3 Nov 2003 16:40:25 -0700, Melissa opined:

The freakin picture that everyone has been showing me of Datura, had
leaves that were jagged, not like this!

Plants are identified by their flower parts, not their foliage. The
plant you have is Datura inoxia.

Just looked around the web and I now agree. It had a fruit that looks like
this on it: http://www.bgard.sci.kun.nl/images/03294255.jpg

Seeds in there? The thing is right out between sidewalk and street, so I
could pluck a few.