Old 14-07-2003, 01:02 PM
Darkginger

Default It germinated! (Banana, that is!) Also pumpkin question

Just had to share my joy on discovering that one of the four banana 'seeds'
I planted a couple of months ago has finally germinated (although it did say
to expect anywhere from 1-6 months on the packet!). OK, it's only an inch
tall at the moment, but I'm delighted - I'm totally (this season) new to
gardening, and every new germination is like a revelation to me. My question
is - should I repot it into a huge pot now, or just into a small one, with a
view to repotting again as it gets bigger? I read something about smaller
pots giving better root structure, but I can't remember where, now. Advice
appreciated! (It's indoors, on a windowsill at the moment).

On another note, I planted a few (very old!) pumpkin seeds (labelled 'pie
pumpkin' - someone sent me self-harvested seeds from the US) two weeks ago -
more with a view to proving to myself that they were out of date and
wouldn't do anything so I could chuck the rest out with a clear conscience
than with any hope of growing a pumpkin - and I now have three small pumpkin
seedlings. How big will these plants get? What size pot would they need to
grow successfully? (Everything I grow is currently in pots, because the
garden is still being built). Is it likely that they'll produce fruit in
time for Hallowe'en? I have pots from 3" to 3' at the moment!

Thanks for any help!

Jo

---

Old 14-07-2003, 04:47 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Pumpkin plants spread and can have quite a long 'runner' although for bigger
pumpkins you can stop it going too far. I would think they would need a
biggish pot to support all that growth.
Well done with the bananas

:
[...]
: ---

Robert The Devil's Advocate www.pafc.co.uk

Old 14-07-2003, 08:53 PM
Darkginger

The Devil's Advocate wrote in message
Pumpkin plants spread and can have quite a long 'runner' although for

bigger
pumpkins you can stop it going too far. I would think they would need a
biggish pot to support all that growth.
Well done with the bananas

Thanks for that! I swear the banana has grown since I posted this morning,
too - what a satisfying plant it already is!

Jo

---

Old 14-07-2003, 11:12 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Jo wrote in message ...
Just had to share my joy on discovering that one of the four banana

'seeds'
I planted a couple of months ago has finally germinated (although it did

say
to expect anywhere from 1-6 months on the packet!). OK, it's only an inch
tall at the moment, but I'm delighted - I'm totally (this season) new to
gardening, and every new germination is like a revelation to me. My

question
is - should I repot it into a huge pot now, or just into a small one, with

view to repotting again as it gets bigger? I read something about smaller
pots giving better root structure, but I can't remember where, now. Advice
appreciated! (It's indoors, on a windowsill at the moment).

Don't overpot, just move it up to a slightly bigger pot as it grows so there
is no wasted space with compost it isn't using.

On another note, I planted a few (very old!) pumpkin seeds (labelled 'pie
pumpkin' - someone sent me self-harvested seeds from the US) two weeks

ago -
more with a view to proving to myself that they were out of date and
wouldn't do anything so I could chuck the rest out with a clear conscience
than with any hope of growing a pumpkin - and I now have three small

pumpkin
seedlings. How big will these plants get? What size pot would they need to
grow successfully? (Everything I grow is currently in pots, because the
garden is still being built). Is it likely that they'll produce fruit in
time for Hallowe'en? I have pots from 3" to 3' at the moment!

They get to be big plants with the runners spreading out for quite some
distance, probably be able to keep each to a 2m or 6ft circle if you train
it as it grows. Like plenty of compost and loads of water, especially when
they get big.
With luck you should get some pumpkins for Halloween although you are about
2 months late planting them.
Much better planted in the ground though so their runners can root at the
nodes and provide more nutrients to the growing fruit.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 15-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Druss

I have to say my banana seeds didn't last very long as plants, very delicate
as I remember, so kid gloves might be in order, or maybe it's just me.
However I would add, keep it in a pot only just big enough, and don't be
fooled into thinking it'll need repotting to grow, I currently have a banana
plant over 12 feet tall in a pot little more than 18inches across.
I was thinking of entering it into the category "A pot plant", descirbed as
any plant in a container!, just don't know how to get it there !!!
Duncan

Old 18-07-2003, 03:44 AM
Dwayne

I have read that watermelon seeds are produce best at 5 years of age if
stored properly. Maybe pumpkin seeds are the same. If you need a pie
recipe, let me know.

Keep the size of your banana pots down to one you can handle when you bring
them in and out as the seasons go from fall to winter and back to spring.

Have fun. Dwayne