Old 06-11-2003, 04:32 PM
Rbeezer

Default Plant light bulb

My gardenia is doing poorly, so I bought some plant light bulbs to help it wrt
light. I bought four 60 watt bulbs to put in the ceiling fixture. The bulbs
look kinda blue but when they're on, they look like normal light. My question
is, has anyone here swapped out their regular lightbulbs and put in the plant
light bulbs and have it make a difference with their houseplants. The bulbs I
bought are made by GE they're the HouseGarden plant light. They cost more than
regular lightbulbs (five dollars each) but much less than the plant grow bulbs
I'm finding online. I'm wondering now if they do much good.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:42 PM
Bumpass, VA 23024

Your problem is not with the bulb, but with the line voltage. Insufficient
voltage will result in a weak spectrum emanating from your bulb. Find a
large paper clip or small screwdriver and insert on end into the socket
where your bulb is plugged in. If nothing happens, stick it in the other
hole in the plug. If you see sparks that are six inches or more, your
voltage is OK. If you do not see sparks, or the sparks are less than three
inches you have a voltage problem and you need to make repairs.

Go to your fuse box and open it up. If you have old fashioned fuses,
unscrew them and insert a copper penny into each hole and re-insert the
fuse. If you have circuit breakers you must unscrew the face plate from the
box and expose the wiring for cleaning. Boil three quarts of water and add
2 ups of salt. Pour this solution over the wiring, making sure to
thouroughly soak all the wires, especially the big ones near the top.

If you follow these directions exactly, I guarantee you will have no more
problems.

Old 06-11-2003, 06:22 PM
Rbeezer

I know, I just didn't want to respond to the troll.

Pretty scary what gets posted sometimes, isn't it? And thank you for your
warning. :-)

DO NOT DO WHAT IS SUGGESTED
YOU DIE!!!

Old 06-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Rotcetedeloha

Bumpass, VA 23024"

[...]

You sound just like Arty The Ahole from Alt.home.repair. Go back from wherever
you came whoever you are.

Old 06-11-2003, 07:22 PM
Bumpass, VA 23024

"Rotcetedeloha" wrote in message
You sound just like Arty The Ahole from Alt.home.repair. Go back from

wherever
you came whoever you are.

You sound just like Dennis Harris from alt.support.alzheimers. Do you like
little boys as much as he does?

Old 06-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Rotcetedeloha

"Bumpass, VA 23024

You sound just like Dennis Harris from alt.support.alzheimers. Do you like
little boys as much as he does?

Yep, ya sound just like him.
Old 06-11-2003, 07:42 PM
hermine stover

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:37:30 -0500, "Bumpass, VA 23024"
don't.e-mail.me@anytime wrote:

Your problem is not with the bulb, but with the line voltage. Insufficient
voltage will result in a weak spectrum emanating from your bulb. Find a
large paper clip or small screwdriver and insert on end into the socket
where your bulb is plugged in.

Listen, do not do anything like this, some humorist has written a
formula for self-electrocution. HIHGLY IREESONSIBLE and not at all
amusing. I will comment later on gardening under light. Electricity is
not to be treated casually, because the result can be injury or death,
and it does not take the power to operate the electric chair to kill
you, low voltage electricty can stop your heart.

hermine stover

Old 06-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Wanda in West Virginia

don't.e-mail.me@anytime wrote:

Your problem is not with the bulb, but with the line voltage. Insufficient
voltage will result in a weak spectrum emanating from your bulb. Find a
large paper clip or small screwdriver and insert on end into the socket
where your bulb is plugged in.

Listen, do not do anything like this, some humorist has written a
formula for self-electrocution. HIHGLY IREESONSIBLE and not at all
amusing. I will comment later on gardening under light. Electricity is
not to be treated casually, because the result can be injury or death,
and it does not take the power to operate the electric chair to kill
you, low voltage electricty can stop your heart.

hermine stover

I dunno, it sounds just as reasonable as most of the other "advice" that
gets dispensed by this group.

Old 07-11-2003, 03:31 AM
Bry Bry is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Rbeezer
I know, I just didn't want to respond to the troll.

Pretty scary what gets posted sometimes, isn't it? And thank you for your
warning. :-)

DO NOT DO WHAT IS SUGGESTED
YOU DIE!!!
It is rather scary what gets said, although I'm sure this is a case of bad humour and the OP didn't actually expect anyone to try it... However, on a slightly more worrying note, that thing with the penny behind a fuse or replacing wired fuses with normal wire was common praptice just 30 years ago! I have an electrical book from the 1960's that suggests it as a temporary fix untill an electrician can be called out... Nevermind the house might burn down before he gets there to fix it properly. Anybody who still believes these shoddy fixes work, or that 'upgrading' fuse ratings is safe, just don't try it, call a professional before you fry your wiring or worse yourself.

Anyway, about your plant. It's better to put it in the ideal light location stated on the lable. If you don't have enough light, perhaps you should move it nearer a window and put a low light plant in its place? If this doesn't help, your plant needs something else. Normally plants look bad because they've been overwatered, just cutting back on watering has solved almost all my houseplant problems and the same advice has helped dozens of friends over the years. People seem to overlook that it's a house plant, not a mash plant, they do not need to be topped up all the time and kept damp constantly. Yellowing leaves is the most common sign, although most assume it's drying out too much, not rotting, so they water it even more. I used to do this...

Less common problems are too much or too little fertilizer. If you suspect this, try swaping over to the slow release tables or sticks for a while.

Then of course there's the mystry plants that just *want* to die. I have one in my room, it is watered precisely by a self watering device that has made all my other 16 plants thrive, it sits in the middle of a room where it gets light indirectly though a big window partly shaded by a tree (the lable says part shade), and I use slow release fertilizer, it even has it's own humidity tray - yet the leaves still drop off it by the dozen and it's prefered state is looking like a dead twig that's been stuck in a pot of soil, which it has looked like for two years now. It can't be me, I have 16 other house plants which attract compliments and attention all the time, some I've had for years. The only solution for these stuborn plants that just refuse to grow after lots of time and effort, toss them in the bin and buy something that will grow...
Old 07-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Zemedelec

DO NOT DO WHAT IS SUGGESTED
YOU DIE!!!

BRBR

That's what I thought, and I'm not much of an electrician. However the troll
was truthful in one respect--if you die, your problems become someone else's.
A piece of unrefrigerated dead meat does not have problems.
zemedelec
Old 07-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Pen

LOL When I began dating my sweetheart 10yrs ago, he had a redish
brown mystery twig in his apartment too. He told me it had leaves
once and they were variegated.

I kept trying to convince him that it's dead and he kept insisting
it's still alive. 6 months later, that twig became 2 twigs, a year
later, 3 twigs, and so on. Eventually, we went on vacation and it
shriveled up so, I guess it really did die. We never figured out what
that thing was.
Old 08-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Tom Randy

On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 11:24:35 -0500, Rbeezer wrote:

My gardenia is doing poorly, so I bought some plant light bulbs to help
it wrt light. I bought four 60 watt bulbs to put in the ceiling fixture.
The bulbs look kinda blue but when they're on, they look like normal
light. My question is, has anyone here swapped out their regular
lightbulbs and put in the plant light bulbs and have it make a difference
with their houseplants. The bulbs I bought are made by GE they're the
HouseGarden plant light. They cost more than regular lightbulbs (five
dollars each) but much less than the plant grow bulbs I'm finding online.
I'm wondering now if they do much good.

You really need to go get regular shop light flourescent light fixures.
They are inexpensive and work great. Replace the tubes once a year (they
are cheap too) because the ends of the tubes get dark after about a year
as the bulb nears end of life. The so called incandecent "grow lights" are
not that good at all. Matter of fact they stink.