Old 08-11-2003, 12:32 PM
brianflay

Default Organic Gardening.

A recent correspondent was concerned that horses shared the same pasture as
fallen Pecan nuts.
I have always used organic fertilisers and manures, when available, in
conjunction with others, as the crops needed.
A glance through Organic Gardening books however recommends such manures
for 'Organics' that I'm surprised that many new potatoes aren't 'gift
wrapped'!!
Even these practices seem to engender no noticed health hazards~~ though
I do avoid 'Organic Produce' other than my own. Even their appearance is
off-putting. Eating 'fads' always seem to go OTT.
Best Wishes~~ A good site though some contributors do seem unduly
caustic to those genuinely looking for advice.

Old 08-11-2003, 04:02 PM
paghat

In article , "brianflay"
wrote:

A recent correspondent was concerned that horses shared the same pasture as
fallen Pecan nuts.
I have always used organic fertilisers and manures, when available, in
conjunction with others, as the crops needed.
A glance through Organic Gardening books however recommends such manures
for 'Organics' that I'm surprised that many new potatoes aren't 'gift
wrapped'!!
Even these practices seem to engender no noticed health hazards~~ though
I do avoid 'Organic Produce' other than my own. Even their appearance is
off-putting. Eating 'fads' always seem to go OTT.
Best Wishes~~ A good site though some contributors do seem unduly
caustic to those genuinely looking for advice.

Hot steamy crap as opposed to composted manures are one of the primary
sources of life-threatening ecoli, which provides the chief reason to keep
farm animals in the pasture & not in the orchard. One outbreak of ecoli
here in the Northwest a few years back was traced to unpasturized
"natural" apple juice, & after the company's stocks suffered from the bad
press, they thereafter sold only pasturized juices.

Organic produce is not grown in animal pastures. If you're "avoiding"
organic produce, then you're getting a higher dose of pesticides &
herbicides in your diet, while not increasing even slightly the chance
that nothing was harvested where cattle, deer, or other ruminants may have
wandered through crapping on what you eat.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"