Old 08-11-2003, 12:32 PM
brianflay

Default Organic Gardening.

A recent correspondent was concerned that horses shared the same pasture as
fallen Pecan nuts.
I have always used organic fertilisers and manures, when available, in
conjunction with others, as the crops needed.
A glance through Organic Gardening books however recommends such manures
for 'Organics' that I'm surprised that many new potatoes aren't 'gift
wrapped'!!
Even these practices seem to engender no noticed health hazards~~ though
I do avoid 'Organic Produce' other than my own. Even their appearance is
off-putting. Eating 'fads' always seem to go OTT.
Best Wishes~~ A good site though some contributors do seem unduly
caustic to those genuinely looking for advice.

Old 08-11-2003, 06:32 PM
brianflay

A quick search of 'manures for organics' via Google shows that after sewage
sludge, then dairy sludge and all fresh animal manures are the preferred
manures.
As the wise mother said " Don't put your fingers in your mouth, you do
know where they've been"!!
I can understand the apple juice being pasteurised as the initial
process, as with Cider, was to take the apples straight from the ground
{having fallen}for pressing. With Cider, however, the alcohol acts
similarly.
Best Wishes

Old 09-11-2003, 03:22 AM
Tom Jaszewski

National organic standards, as well as OMRI do not allow manures to be
used closer than 180 days from harvest. I believe this would apply to
nut trees, but am unsure. I don't find any direct reference to an
exemption.