Old 10-11-2003, 03:42 AM
peter

Default gunnera, will it wilt in zone 7a

Intrigued by gunnera and live it a hot Atlanta climate. I've read it
needs humid and cool summers. Any experience with this crazy plant in
zone 7-8? Any advice on Gunnera manicata vs. Gunnera other? I've got
a wet and shady backyard except for a curious mid-day 2-3 hr window of
hot sun. Thanks.
Old 10-11-2003, 02:32 PM
Bill Spohn

I've read itneeds humid and cool summers. Any experience with this crazy
plant inzone 7-8? Any advice on Gunnera manicata vs. Gunnera other? I've
gota wet and shady backyard except for a curious mid-day 2-3 hr window ofhot
sun.

We are zone 8b and have no problem with Gunnera - you just lop the leaves off
around Halloween and mulch the plant with them.

They do require a reasonable level of moisture (perfect beside a pond) and can
burn in direct hot sun all day but so what? Plant it near water or in the
middle of a lawn, and stand back. They are good to zone 7 in terms of winter
low temps, if suitably mulched.

Here's one beside my pond a couple of years ago -its even bigger now.
http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/albums/...2402/12361.htm

Old 10-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Vox Humana

"peter" wrote in message
om...
Intrigued by gunnera and live it a hot Atlanta climate. I've read it
needs humid and cool summers. Any experience with this crazy plant in
zone 7-8? Any advice on Gunnera manicata vs. Gunnera other? I've got
a wet and shady backyard except for a curious mid-day 2-3 hr window of
hot sun. Thanks.

I recall seeing a website from someone in zone 6 with Gunnera. They were in
southern Ontario. As I recall, they "mulched" it with layers of used
carpeting.