Old 10-11-2003, 09:02 PM
Michelle

Default bromeliads

How much water (how often) does a potted bromeliad need?

Same question for a potted dwarf date palm?

Thanks
Michelle

Old 10-11-2003, 11:32 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

The answer isn't the same.

Bromeliads that have a water reservoir in the center should always have it
filled with water and the whole plant misted every few days. Those that
don't have the water reservoir also should be misted every few days. Most
use the soil, if any soil at all, for support not nutrition and that should
be moist not wet.

Do a google search for bromeliads for more info.

Palms should have their soil moist but not wet.

Do a google search for palms for more info.

Old 11-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Tom Jaszewski

On Mon, 10 Nov 2003 23:26:47 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Palms should have their soil moist but not wet.

Most in the Phoenix family prefer to have evenly moist, on the low
side. Always better to err on the side of to dry.

Old 11-11-2003, 09:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Phoenix is a palm genus. The palm family is Arecaceae. Some still like to
hold on to the past by using the obsolete family name Palmae.

Bromeliads are in the family Bromeliaceae.

Old 12-11-2003, 03:02 AM
Tom Jaszewski

Thanks for you usual due diligence in correcting the errors in my
description.

Fact remains most in the genus Phoenix prefer growing conditions moist
an on the drier side....

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 21:02:44 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

Phoenix is a palm genus. The palm family is Arecaceae. Some still like to
hold on to the past by using the obsolete family name Palmae.

Bromeliads are in the family Bromeliaceae.

.. .

Old 12-11-2003, 11:02 AM
Frogleg

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:00:01 -0800, "Mogie"
wrote:

Cereoid-UR12- wrote

Bromeliads that have a water reservoir in the center should always have it
filled with water and the whole plant misted every few days. Those that
don't have the water reservoir also should be misted every few days. Most
use the soil, if any soil at all, for support not nutrition and that
should
be moist not wet.

We mist everyday and remember to change the water in the reservoir or it can
get scummy.

Change the water?! What, turn the plant upside down? I never changed
the water in mine, nor did I notice it becoming "scummy." I just
topped it up when it got shallow. In fact, (help me here, Cereoid) I
thought decaying insect and leaf bits provided nourishment for the
plant in the wild. I used to take small bromeliads out of their pots
and let them "vacation" in the hollows of big crape myrtle. Unless it
was *very* dry, I didn't even need to water them all summer.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Phisherman

I keep my bromeliad on the dry side in a south window. It grows very
slowly. It bloomed once (a large pink spiked bloom). The the mother
plant died and I potted up the pups. I keep the center filled with
water, that's it. One of those plants that thrives on neglect, I
guess.

Old 12-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

A heads up for David,

If the water reservoir is getting scummy, you are doing something seriously
wrong. If you are just second guessing nature, that's your problem and you
need to deal with that on your own. The plants have been doing well all by
themselves for millions of years before you had the notion to play god. It
is best to leave the water reservoir alone because it is a normal function
of the plant and important to its proper growth and survival.

Frogleg wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:00:01 -0800, "Mogie"

Cereoid-UR12- wrote

Old 12-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Tom Jaszewski

Just a minor but important piece of additional information you left
out.

Old 13-11-2003, 02:42 AM
zhanataya

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:33:57 GMT, "Cereoid-UR12-"
wrote:

A heads up for David,

If the water reservoir is getting scummy, you are doing something seriously
wrong. If you are just second guessing nature, that's your problem and you
need to deal with that on your own. The plants have been doing well all by
themselves for millions of years before you had the notion to play god. It
is best to leave the water reservoir alone because it is a normal function
of the plant and important to its proper growth and survival.

An interesting discussion. Has it been determined wheather these
plants are inside or outside? Or did I just miss that part?

zhan
Old 13-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Frogleg

wrote:

A heads up for David,

If the water reservoir is getting scummy, you are doing something seriously
wrong. If you are just second guessing nature, that's your problem and you
need to deal with that on your own. The plants have been doing well all by
themselves for millions of years before you had the notion to play god. It
is best to leave the water reservoir alone because it is a normal function
of the plant and important to its proper growth and survival.

An interesting discussion. Has it been determined wheather these
plants are inside or outside? Or did I just miss that part?

It appears that the relevent question was asked by "Michelle" on 11/10
regarding the water requirements for a potted bromeliad and dwarf date
palm. I assumed this was in reference to indoor plants, and perhaps
muddied the water(!) by mentioning my own plants summer vacation
outdoors.
Old 14-11-2003, 02:22 AM
Mogie

Worked in a greenhouse with Bromeliads for about a year. The owner always
had us change the water in the reservoir.

Frogleg wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 13:00:01 -0800, "Mogie"

Cereoid-UR12- wrote

Old 14-11-2003, 02:22 AM
Mogie

These plants grow wild outside. Inside makes it a different story. Some
places are very humid and the water does need to be changed because the
plant might not use it all within a normal amount of time. Remember these
are native to a place that is hot and the water in is used more quickly.

wrote:

A heads up for David,

If the water reservoir is getting scummy, you are doing something

seriously
wrong. If you are just second guessing nature, that's your problem and

you
need to deal with that on your own. The plants have been doing well all

by
themselves for millions of years before you had the notion to play god.

It
is best to leave the water reservoir alone because it is a normal

function
of the plant and important to its proper growth and survival.

An interesting discussion. Has it been determined wheather these
plants are inside or outside? Or did I just miss that part?

zhan

[IMG] code is On

bromeliads in indoor plantscaping Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 26-11-2003 05:05 PM
bromeliads Tom Foley Orchids 4 24-09-2003 06:02 PM
bromeliads - info links tennis maynard Orchids 0 22-09-2003 08:42 PM
Bromeliads - Pineapples Lambert Plant Science 26 28-04-2003 03:44 PM
beginner questions about bromeliads Ted Shoemaker Gardening 1 23-02-2003 06:15 PM