Old 15-11-2003, 04:12 AM
Purple Linny LeCompte

Default Quick intro

Hello folks,

Thought a quick intro was in order... not sure if that's the done thing in
here, but I frequent a few other forums and well... it's nice to know who
you're talking to :-)

Recently hit TX from U.K., can't wait to get stuck into my new garden when
we move in a couple of weeks. Lots to learn about the native plants and
trees in these parts - I mean... banana trees in your garden?!? What will
the folks back home think? I'm excited that the climate will allow for fun
all year round.

I'm hoping to just get the new garden into shape first. It's already in
half decent shape, I just need to do some pruning and tidying and get ready
for spring planting. When it's looking pretty, I'm hoping to get into the
veggie patch too.

Thanks for reading and look out for the 'what plant is this' posts in the
future!
Regards,
--
Lynda
Old 16-11-2003, 10:12 PM
Frogleg

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 04:04:37 GMT, Purple Linny LeCompte
wrote:

Recently hit TX from U.K., can't wait to get stuck into my new garden when
we move in a couple of weeks.

You'll be in for a lot of surprises. Let us know what some of them
are. Particularly the nice ones. Where in UK to where in TX? Perhaps
tomatoes outside a greenhouse will be a treat? And doing rain dances a
New Thrill?
Old 17-11-2003, 03:12 AM
Purple Linny LeCompte

wrote:

Recently hit TX from U.K., can't wait to get stuck into my new garden
when we move in a couple of weeks.

You'll be in for a lot of surprises. Let us know what some of them
are. Particularly the nice ones.

Will do. There have been a few surprises already - probably things that
most might take for granted. I could only keep Boston fern inside my house
in England - I loved my huge plant that I called 'Sideshow Bob'. I see over
here it grows everywhere.. wild... likem weeds! Being able to have
flowering plants all through winter here is great too - the frost would
kill them stone dead over there. I mean... pansies... in November!?! hehe

Where in UK to where in TX?

South of England - a historic city called Gloucester - about 150 miles NW
of London, across the atlantic to Pearland - about 15m south of Houston.
So, I've gone from being cold most of the time to TOO HOT. I miss my
sweaters...

Perhaps tomatoes outside a greenhouse will be a treat?

I did have success with toms outside - they did really well. Think I'll try
my hand at some more native things over here, but that won't be until after
the big clean up. I'm inheriting a large, well looked after garden, but has
been left for some months. There's lots of trees too so the leaf coverage
will look after the soils and I'll have plenty of mulch to kick off with :-)

And doing rain dances a
New Thrill?

lol - haven't got that far yet. Ask me again next year when I'm trying to
get me veggies to grow ;-)

Thanks for all the input and help with my cactus query too folks.
A very nice group y'all have here.
--
Lynda
Old 18-11-2003, 04:02 PM
NAearthMOM

Hi & welcome to the U.S.!

I am in New York, zone 6b, so I am envious of your year round gardening!

Love Caryn
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"
Old 18-11-2003, 05:02 PM

ying and yang. I am grateful for the break. Ingrid

arden (NAearthMOM) wrote:

Hi & welcome to the U.S.!

I am in New York, zone 6b, so I am envious of your year round gardening!

Love Caryn
"Come into my garden, my flowers want to meet you!"

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 19-11-2003, 01:02 AM
madgardener

wrote:

Hello folks,

Thought a quick intro was in order... not sure if that's the done thing in
here, but I frequent a few other forums and well... it's nice to know who
you're talking to :-)

Wecome Lynda!
First thing you'll have to get used to is sweet iced
tea............And since you've relocated to Texas, you'll soon
discover there are nice folks to help you out as most Southerners are
helpful and kinda polite. I'd enjoy just listening to YOU talk. I
love accents. (even hard Texas accents........) I'm sure given time
TOMKANPA will send you a redneck joke if you're game GBSEG and they
don't mind being called a redneck................

I'm sure you will find there are some pretty incredible garden friends
here to chat and share with. We're quite a motley crew. A wonderful
pot of stone soup so to speak. We're from all over the world and most
of us are pretty laid back. There are quite a few regulars here that
have been here for quite a long time. Victoria lives in Texas herself
and will be most willing to help you out with things. And there are a
few more I can't remember who will step in.

Those of us who live in the South will all come to your aid
eventually, Can't wait for your first encounter with a speed
bump.......(armadillo) G

Recently hit TX from U.K., can't wait to get stuck into my new garden when
we move in a couple of weeks. Lots to learn about the native plants and
trees in these parts - I mean... banana trees in your garden?!? What will
the folks back home think? I'm excited that the climate will allow for fun
all year round.

I envy you on some of that because of the warmer climate you're in.
But I also enjoy winter which most of the time here is mild.
Occaisonally Mom's Nature slips us one and we're reminded that we can
plumet down to a colder zone quicker than spit on a
griddle..........(I have a feeling this winter will be an interesting
one for us here in EAstern Tennessee)

I'm hoping to just get the new garden into shape first. It's already in
half decent shape, I just need to do some pruning and tidying and get ready
for spring planting. When it's looking pretty, I'm hoping to get into the
veggie patch too.

With your ability to garden longer, you might look into winter crops
like radishes and salad greens and the like. I'd kill to have a level
spot to have a little veggie plot.................I keep looking at
the level space where the two story out building is on the east and
picture it GONE but Squire says no way..............sigh, it's pretty
solid and he claims one day it will be his tool house and
haven.....he'd better hurry or I'll start to take the thing apart from
the backside until one day he comes home and there's only a pile of
wood and a huge raised bed....................................G

Thanks for reading and look out for the 'what plant is this' posts in the
future!
Regards,

You can also expect the generosity of us to share seeds, tubers,
roots, rhizomes, bulbs and plants. This is a fantastic group. Glad to
have you aboard honey!
madgardener up on the torential rainy ridge, back in fairy holler,
overlooking English Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone
36 (yeah, you might invest in a copy of Western Garden book by Sunset,
it will help you tremendously, as well as call your local extension
agricultural agent and tell them to send you literature and come out
and help you with some identification. They do this for free. It's
their job. Usually they'll send a Master Gardener who has to put in
volunteer hours but it's a great start. And ask where the local
farmer's market is and look for people like me who have that crazed
gardener look about them GBSEG)
Old 20-11-2003, 02:22 PM
Harvey

How ARE you doing with the language barrier? Remember that 'quack'
doesn't mean doctor here -- it means a fraudulent doctor, and is an
insult. Although trick cyclists are quite at home with 'shrink.' A
car park is a parking lot. Pavement is sidewalk. Roadway is pavement.
We wear bathing suits to swim, while you wear swimsuits to bathe.

Try iced tea with mint, but not too much. :-)

And when I need to rub out a pencil mark I do *not* use an
(Related to finding sticky tape in France.)

H.