Old 18-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Shell91

Default Another Question on Peroxide

I've seen the adds for peroxide for spraying on plants. Question I have is
does anyone here do this? If someone does I would be interested in how and
what type of peroxide they use. The add I saw was for 3 percent which is
what you can get at the grocery store or pharmacy for medical use. I would
think it would be similar to spraying your plants with bleach but if it will
kill mealies I'll try it on my portulaca that has the monster mealies in it.

Shell

Old 18-11-2003, 11:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

Don't waste your money on peroxide.

Use an actual insecticide to get rid of the mealies.

. ..

Old 19-11-2003, 01:22 AM
Shell91

Thanks. Any suggestions on insecticide? I've tried sevin dust,
insecticidal soap, alcohol, and a generic insecticide. Nothing kills these
little pests

Shell

"Cereoid-UR12-" wrote in message
. com...
Don't waste your money on peroxide.

Use an actual insecticide to get rid of the mealies.

. ..

Old 19-11-2003, 12:22 PM
IntarsiaCo

Any suggestions on insecticide?

Imadicloprid. Sometimes incorrectly spelled Imadocloprid.

Do a search for Imadicloprid + Pacific Bulb Society for recent discussions
regarding this insecticide and mealies.
Old 21-11-2003, 03:02 PM
Joe 123

I have a lot of farmer customers here in florida that use peroxide
occasionally to reduce mold mildew and fungus on plants. they recommend
using it at 1000ppms. Peroxide works excellent for root development.
oxyginates the soil.

Joe

. ..

Old 24-11-2003, 07:02 AM

When the ancient war dogs did battle on Tue, 18 Nov 2003 23:09:41 GMT,
"Cereoid-UR12-" did speak the following bit
of wisdom:

Don't waste your money on peroxide.

Use an actual insecticide to get rid of the mealies.

People who grow orchids use hydrogen peroxide often. It's a good
general disinfectant to use when a plant has a bacterial problem such
as crown rot. You just water once with the peroxide (regular stuff
from the pharmacy) making sure to drench the problem area, and then
keep the plant on the dry side so it can recover. Cinnamon sprinkled
into the crown of a plant or on any cut surfaces is also very good. It
helps to seal the wound and has some antibiotic properties to it. I've
heard that cinnamon applied over the surface of the media helps to
discourage fungus gnats. But I've never used it for this purpose.

I've never heard of peroxide being good to use as an insecticide. You
CAN use regular rubbing alcohol for that however. Just spray it on or
saturate a Q-tip or wad of cotton and apply to the leaves. This will
kill mealies and scale but has rather limited use if a plant is
completely infested. But for spot tx, it's pretty useful. HTH...

* * * * *
Karen C.
Southern CT / USDA Zone 6
Spammers be damned! I can't be emailed from this account...

"Gardeners know all the best dirt!"
Old 24-11-2003, 08:32 AM
Shell

Thanks for the information. I also grow orchids and I knew about the
cinnamon but I didn't know about the peroxide. I will have to try it on a
problem Masdavilla I am trying to save

Shell

Old 24-11-2003, 08:34 AM
Shell

Thanks Even more hope for the Masdavila. Along with the other orchids I
have and the other houseplants

Shell

"Joe 123" wrote in message
. ..
I have a lot of farmer customers here in florida that use peroxide
occasionally to reduce mold mildew and fungus on plants. they recommend
using it at 1000ppms. Peroxide works excellent for root development.
oxyginates the soil.

Joe

. ..