Old 22-11-2003, 11:42 AM
Donald R. Whalen

Default Holiday(?)/Christmas(?) Cactus

This summer I vacationed my cactus on our sunny porch for the first time.
The plant had blossomed a couple of times in the previous year. The leaves
have turned a deep crimson and it does not look happy. It is indoors for the
winter months. I have repotted it and cut back the stalks. Will it survive
or have I killed it?

Don Whalen, Zone 6b, in the Roanoke Valley of Southwestern Virginia.

Old 22-11-2003, 01:32 PM
Phisherman

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 06:33:24 -0500, "Donald R. Whalen"
wrote:

This summer I vacationed my cactus on our sunny porch for the first time.
The plant had blossomed a couple of times in the previous year. The leaves
have turned a deep crimson and it does not look happy. It is indoors for the
winter months. I have repotted it and cut back the stalks. Will it survive
or have I killed it?

Don Whalen, Zone 6b, in the Roanoke Valley of Southwestern Virginia.

It is better to transplant/prune Zygocactus at the beginning of the
growing season, in spring. Overwatering can kill it, especially
during the winter. For winter wait until you see a little shriveling
on a leaf to give it a drink.
Old 22-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Cereoid-UR12-

First of all, the plant has absolutely no leaves. Those are flattened stem
joints.
Secondly, how would you know if a plant looks happy anyway?
You should have asked what to do before you over-reacted like some flighty
school girl.

The stems of Schlumbergera will take on a reddish hue in bright light or in
cool temperatures. Unless they are shriveled, turning brown or
disarticulating, you have nothing to worry about.

You should have left the plant alone. The plant is self-pruning and any
damaged stems segments will fall away on their own. You may not have damaged
the plant but it probably will not bloom now because you removed all the new
growth that would have produced flower buds.

Repotting it when bringing it indoors was not a very bright thing to do
either. You just may have created the perfect conditions for root rot.

Why in the heck are you cross-posting to austin.gardening if you live in
Virginia?

Old 22-11-2003, 08:22 PM
hermine stover

wrote:

This summer I vacationed my cactus on our sunny porch for the first time.
The plant had blossomed a couple of times in the previous year. The leaves
have turned a deep crimson and it does not look happy. It is indoors for the
winter months. I have repotted it and cut back the stalks. Will it survive
or have I killed it?

Don Whalen, Zone 6b, in the Roanoke Valley of Southwestern Virginia.

those "leaves" are flattned stems. if you did not throw them out, you
can root them. i do not think all is lost, even if the plant shows
some signs of distress, i think some tender care will put things to
rights. i would keep it moderately well lit, and watered cautiously
until it shows signs of renewed life. i have been able in the past to
root really withered abused cuttings from these plants. in other
words, do not despair, all is not lost.
hermine