Old 24-11-2003, 12:32 AM
madgardener

Default A late fall fairy moment and bad dawg boredom

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:37:16 GMT, wrote:

there is a big difference between "expert" and "on the radio and especially on the
TV". As I live in Wisconsin and catch the show every now and then I can say I am not
impressed.
there are dogs called "hunting dogs" genetically wired to be stubborn (or the dog
dont hunt!), pleasing people is secondary to their "job". I have both hard headed
hunting stock Springers and soft little toy dogs, Poms and Paps that are bred to
PLEASE people. It is like the two groups are from different planets. SkippyPB the
Pom poor baby was my first toy dog ever. I soon learned that the training
techniques I used with springers, like hauling them around, yelling at em, rewarding
with food, etc. wasnt going to work with the little guy. Hunting dogs are incredibly
pain tolerant, physically and emotionally. I dont even raise my voice to the little
ones. Yelling "what did you do" to a little un sends them nearly into shock.
OTOH, if I dont go over the top physically and emotionally with Harry Potter my 9 mo
ESS, he WONT LISTEN. example: Harry has squashed Foxy my 15+ yo Pom to the floor
using one of his big paws and is using her to dust the floor. She is making what
little crying noises she can in her compressed state. I dont talk nicely to Harry
..... I come out screaming like a banshee and chase him into the other room where I
grab his collar and drag him back to his cage yelling NO, NO, NO.
example: my slippers. He got em, he's chewing. I get the slippers away from him,
whack him with the slippers yelling NO, NO, NO. Then I offer him the slippers and if
he makes a motion to touch them he gets whacked while I yell NO, NO, NO. Then I toss
him the slippers and try every way I can to tempt him to touch the slippers until he
shows big eyes and backs off. This is called aversion training for big stubborn
hunting dogs. And guess what, he hasnt tried to sneak one of my slippers in 2
months. Dragging a big stubborn hunting dog to a hole and screaming at em is called
aversion therapy. It would be better to follow this up every day with the dog on a
leash dragging them up to the flower beds and yelling no... play catch for a while
and throw the item into the flower beds do everything possible to temp her to STEP
INTO the flower beds and make her very very averse. this is also how to teach em not
to jump up, how to stay indoors with a door open, how to stay within the properly
line, and a whole slew of other behaviors.
It is not a good idea to call the dog and then punish, this is true. But with hard
headed hunting dogs all you gotta do is give em food when called once outta every 10
times and those dogs will always come (unless they got a nose on game). Aversion to
coming is more likely to happen with what passes for hunting dogs at dog shows. They
been bred for "looks" and everything else has been allowed to slide until they have
become these neurotic, peeing all over themselves dogs that cant be left alone for 2
minutes without tearing the whole house apart. And worse yet is what comes outta
puppy mills. They are physical, emotional and temperamental horrors of dogs.

Marilyn was doing exactly what was necessary to get the big lug to stay outta her
gardens. Ingrid

to reiterate on what Ingrid is saying here. just so ya'll who didn't
remember it, Sugar (I'm considering renaming her
TROUBLE...........G) is Lab and BIRDDOG. It could also be Lab and
Springer if springers have speckled white and black feet. Whatever
her two mixes are, she has some Lab we think, but she's not going to
be as large as Rose. They resemble, but it's very possible that this
is a bird dog in completeness. She is a SMART dog. She KNOWS when
she screws up. It's spooky. Like she is thinking "I know if I rip
Damon's hat up.............I know if I dig mama's gardens I'm in BIG
trouble, and I'm going to act like I've done something very very wrong
when they see me" THIS is why I insist this dog is so smart. Not that
we've cowed her. Or mistreated her. But because until we discover what
she's done, she gives herself away like the quiet child who has
colored the whole livingroom wall with permanent markers during the
important phone call when the cord didn't stretch three rooms away and
before portable phones............

I almost wept this morning when I saw the damage she'd done, and was
actually scared what I'd find when I got home this afternoon. But
amazingly enough, besides the POT with the Cherry Lips ablemouschous
I'd plugged in tubers I'd gently adn carefully pulled out of Mary
Emma's soft soil and then sowed seeds into the top for good measure
for a hopeful return next spring when it heats up, (yes, that ****ed
me off too, so I picked up the large cactus bowl and placed it on the
picnic bench outa reach. Hell I have a marmalade cat who keeps
sleeping on the bare soil of the blood lily because it's dormant at
the moment, I toss her ass off every time until I find a place to put
it so it will wow me in February) and the garden beside the fountain
and it's damage, that was it. I figure it will get worse before it
gets better because there will be a time when ALL of us will be at
work and she'll be all insecure and get even with us. By that time I
might try to work some place out for her to stay during the time we're
all gone and out of the house. I might even enlist in the aid of son's
to clean up the dog pen my step brother built for his evil chow when
he lived with us. It's overgrown in walnut trees and I spotted some
poison ivy beside the fence, but that's easy to pull up, the grass
hasn't been mowed in a couple of years but that makes a nice soft pad
of grass, and even though she could get under the outbuilding from one
side, it would take her some time to dig herself out, I think. I'll
have to consider this one.

Seriously, Thanks for coming to my aid. This IS some kind of hunting
dog breed and half breed because of where I live and what they have
around here. She's NOT a beagle, or a coon dog, but she does look
suspiciously like a bird dog Lab mix. I want to keep her because she
IS smart. I have NO tolerance for an idiot. I will just have to work
with her and keep loving her. She KNEW by my posture that I was still
upset when I came home because she took one look at me and went
downstairs to hang with Squire. And I'm not even ****ed at her now.
It's like she knows I found the other damage. Thanks Ingrid. I'll
keep trying with her. I'd hate to give up on her totally. But she's
got me spooked about planting my bulbs now. You should see the damage
she did in another bed awhile back. The carnage was horrible. It's
almost like I really should consider changing some of these beds, but
when I do, how do I know she'll not interfer after I kill myself doing
it?? sigh..............this is what I know is the price for having
the dog. And cats. The new kitten I brought home this end of summer
has no regard for where he dumps and the other felines are shocked.
They were taught NEVER to poop in the loose wonderful soil of mama's
flowers. They aren't usually allowed to even crawl into the foliage to
hide, but lately they can't hurt most things they lie on and I let
them alone. But pooping in my flowerbeds is absolutely verboten. That
would get the dog a permanent vacation if she not only dug but pooped
in my beds.

I have a whole other set of problems now since Miz Wine's BIL has
fenced off the pasture next to us where Rose has always gone to do her
business with TWO electric fences for his cows he's grazing there now,
not to mention he's put the fence too close to the driveway. So now
poor Rose has to find some other place to dump and so does Sugar.
Harder on Rose than the pup because Rose has done this for 8 years.
And she KNOWS electric fences. As does the pup. twice she's been
snapped and it freaked her out so badly she clenched her glands and I
had to bathe her twice to get the smell of skunk off her.

This dog would actually respond to one of those wireless fences we
sell at Lowes but I can't afford that and she's not really restricted
in where she goes. I would love it if she dug in the
woods..........but that's just me. Any holes she dug would be
plantable places for things, like all these bulbs I have to put in the
ground right now.

Thanks for the help, I'll keep ya'll posted
madgardener
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 24-11-2003, 01:02 AM
madgardener

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 15:56:26 -0600, wrote:

madgardener wrote:

You're fine in your critisisms of me

Not trying to criticize. I'm sorry if that's how I came across. I love
reading your posts, Mad. When it comes to knowledge about plants, you're
right up there. I'm new around here, and I don't have a lot of plant
knowledge to share. I'm fairly knowledgeable when it comes to dogs,
however, and I was trying to constructively share this.

I'm not upset with you honey. Honest. I appreciate people who know
what they're talking about and I shouldn't have taken it so hard, or
appeared to. My sincere apologies to YOU. I have never had TWO dogs at
once. Rose is the second most awesome dog I've ever had and I thought
it would do her good to have a companion dog to roust her up since she
is too lazy and overweight. It worked. Sugar gets her stirred up,
plays with her, bugs her and it's good for Rose to not be sleeping 20
hours of the day and eating the other 4. Although Rose eats only when
we're eating or when we just get home. But Sugar DOES need exercise.
She has these spells of "mad dog running up and down the driveway"
that is hilarious. This is just poor timing on inconsiderate son not
paying attention, the dog being bored and digging, Rose laying there
sleeping with her "don't look at ME, I KNOW better" and all the
previous mentioned crap in my life. I shouldn't have taken it like I
did.

I figure eventually time will ease the roughness. In the middle of all
this, I have a 20 year old cat who has started peeing in the back den
where he brother ruined the carpet (we pulled up the carpet and put
down vinyl) Pye or Jenners or both are 11 and are starting to ackk up
ropes of food which is lovely to find barefooted, I suspect it's Sugar
but it could be Rose who has taken to eating the remaining cat food
and then it's richness is tearing them up because I have come across
these mountainious piles of puke that a grown man would faint over.
(I just clean them up and cuss) not to mention Piquito doesn't clean
his butt all the time (the bob tailed kitten) and likes to suck on
anything when he's tired or first discovers I'm home.......sigh. The
animals are out to drive me nuts. Even the cat that I got for Rose,
Pesters is stressed with a strange cat that has turned up across the
driveway and HE'S spraying my perennial pots and he's FIXED!!!! I
swear as they get to infirm age I'm letting them go and not replace
them. Sweetie has no teeth now and has to eat soft food and it's
easier to get her those pouches of Whiska's pate, because she eats the
whole thing, but she's senile and forgets and then kills you when she
walks between your legs begging because she thinks she's hungry. It's
almost time to let her go...............sigh. sorry. I appreciate
your help, and I will go online and check this out when I have another
day off.

Can you see the insanity when the company comes for Thanksgiving?
Sugar has never been in a house full of squeeling girls and strangers.
The other family has a Corgi and that means all MY cats will become
neurotic and I expect piles of **** and puke and paybacks for a week
after they go back to Chicago. I love my life.............GBSEG
You gotta figure that with exception to Polluxx and Piquito who are
the youngest cat's I've got, everyone else is 6, 11 or 20. (two that
are 11, and Whacka Dew doesn't come home hardly at all because she's
Miz Mary's cat now. She likes being a one cat house. and she hated
Roscoe who is gone now, never liked him all those years she lived with
him, she despises Pesters, and lothes Polluxx and Piquito. When she
spotted Sugar when she was coming in the window one day and Sugar
wanted to play and chase her, she like to have crapped herself and
turned inside out to get away and I've not seen her visit us since.

As long as Mary loves and feeds her and takes such good care, I know
the cat is happy. And the cat chose where she wanted to be. This is
what she should be doing. Providing companionship to an old unmarried
lady in her golden years.

Off to pass out. it's been a long day. thanks honey. I really do
appreciate your help. honest.

no as a matter of fact, as soon as I started to drag her outside, she
acted as if she knew.

What does she do to act as if she knows? Submissive? Tail between her
legs? Slinking around? Doesn't want to make eye contact? More likely than
not, she's reading your body language. She knows you're ****ed, and she's
submitting to you. While dogs don't have long term memories when it comes
to what they've done and associating that with your current behavior, they
are excellent at figuring out what kind of mood you're in.

Eric

Old 24-11-2003, 01:04 AM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

madgardener wrote:

So I called her and dragged her dawg ass out the front door over to
the pit she'd dug and dragged her muzzle thru the dirt yelling at her
"what did you DO????? BAAAADDDDD DAWG, NO" about 30 seconds of this

Why are you mad at the dog instead of your sons, who left them unsupervised?

For what it's worth, your dog most likely associates your yelling with her
most recent action...coming to you before being dragged outside.

If you doubt this... Next time, try getting her to come again immediately
after the yelling. If she thinks coming is a good thing and digging is the
bad thing, she won't hesitate to come.

Eric

You may be right in this particular case, but to go off on a barely
related tangent, there's another effect of yelling at dogs, an effect
which explains why strange old ladies who live alone with creepy little
yappy dogs can never get their runny-eyed shivery eggshell-headed monsters
to stop yapping. When the crazy old dog-owner starts yelling "Be quiet
Winky-dums! Stop that barking right now! Oh you bad Winkywinky, stop that
now! Bad Winky! Bad!" this incites the bulby-eyed little horror to ever
more insistant yappiness.

From that little dog's point of view, its beloved mistress is barking WITH
them at the nasty knock at the door, & yelling at the dog to stop barking
reinforces their pet's desire to please & to do stuff with the Mistress.
It only LOOKS like disobedience.

By the way, I've been thinking of getting a yappy dog to go with my own
increasingly little old lady life toddling about talking to plants, but I
might have a couple years yet to go before I'm quite old enough, though
I've got the toddling down now. Some of those dogs do look rather like
rats so I like 'em.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/
Old 24-11-2003, 01:32 AM
paghat

In article , Frogleg
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 20:27:05 -0600, wrote:

madgardener wrote:

So I called her and dragged her dawg ass out the front door over to
the pit she'd dug and dragged her muzzle thru the dirt yelling at her
"what did you DO????? BAAAADDDDD DAWG, NO" about 30 seconds of this

Why are you mad at the dog instead of your sons, who left them unsupervised?

For what it's worth, your dog most likely associates your yelling with her
most recent action...coming to you before being dragged outside.

This struck me, too. Our NPR station carries 'Calling All Pets' (from
Wisconson Public Radio --
http://www.wpr.org/pets/) with animal
behaviorist Tricia McConnell. Her training advice is almost
universally directed toward encouraging good behavior and training
animals out of bad habits. Unless they're 'caught in the act' (or
preferably just as the idea is forming :-), it is virtually useless to
punish them for a prior (even a couple minutes prior) act.

This may be generally true, & the majority of dogs do seem to have the IQ
of a baked mutton incapable of putting sundry events together into a
broader understanding. But some dogs clearly have very complex thought
processes, lay plans, await results, as any social hunting animal must be
able to do. I had a dog unstring a toilet roll while I was away, & when
I came home, hid until I found the paper unravelled before coming out to
see what I was going to do about it. I've had or known dogs in the past
that tried to hide their misdeeds, or went all ashamed-acting immediately
before the discovery of some chewed up item. I've known dogs that when
miffed about something would wait patiently for the chance to be alone to
do something rotten to express dissatisfaction. I was never much for
punishing a dog at all, but some of them definitely can put two & two
together, & if you find a shoe chewed almost in half, they know they did
it, & they know it's why you're acting peevish with them. Or you can be
standing on completely the different side of a room from where a chair-leg
is gnawed & ask a dog sternly "Do you know what you did?" & it'll lower
its head & take a surreptitious glance at the chairleg; shame is something
dogs can feel, & most of the stuff they're ashamed of is stuff they
intentionally waited until you weren't around to do it, so know perfectly
well there could be repurcussions. A little dog, maybe not so likely, but
a german shepard, an australian sheep dog, a newfoundland, some of them
seem a lot smarter than four year old children.

It may still be a poor training tactic to yell at them while showing them
the chewed up shoe, as the deed felt good when it was being done & will
feel good when done again; plus attention is attention & they may want to
get yelled at again. But I do think many a dog can quite easily make a
connection between your unhappiness & that nibbled shoe you're waggling at
them, or a dug-up garden.

-paghat the ratgirl

Dr. McConnell, a very bright and cheerful woman, as well as a sound
academic, has written several books on (mostly) dog training that may
be available in your library. She even had a good tip recently about
keeping neighbors' dogs from pooping on your lawn. Send me a SASE and
$10, and I'll reveal the secret. :-) Since digging is a common
problem, I'm sure she deals with that.

Genuinely sorry about your flowers, Mad.

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 24-11-2003, 02:12 AM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Wild canines in packs, the alpha will periodically inflict pain to induce
subservience in lieutenants, who accept that they don't even have the
right to breed. The alpha's split-second moments of violence reinforces
rather than does harm to the "family" or pack structure. A dog that shows
its belly because it just got its face nipped does not feel victmized, it
benefits from reinforcement of its position in the pack, whereas if it
balks, serious injury could result, or even outcast status & the life of a
starving scavenger.

The main thing a good hunting dog learns from inflicted pain is it's
"place" in the world & who is boss. Unless the abuse is agregious, it will
not feel abused or show fear; it will be happily subservient to the alpha
human who wacks him. However, learning to show its belly to the human
alpha isn't the same as learning hunting techniques, nor will it result in
a generally reliable animal. While I do not believe most dogs feel unhappy
with owners who hit them even with moderate violence, it is NOT essential
to do this to establish mastery over a dog. From pain-oriented punishments
the dog may well learn to inflict pain further down the social ladder
--someone can hit his dog & it'll still love & obey him & hold no grudges,
but the guy down the block better never try it or he'll need some serious
stitches. And the owner saying that shithead down the block shouldn't have
raised a stick to wack someone else's dog isn't going to wash when it
comes up before the judge who decides its a dangerous animal.

Worse, it will become second-nature to such a dog to show, say, a rowdy
child who is the boss. A child entering pack territory must submit to the
alpha human's "lieutenant," i.e., Mr. Good Dog. It doesn't take a mean dog
or a bad dog or even a poorly trained dog to get itself in maximum
trouble. It was just a dog that understood the social order was reinforced
by painful nipping or wacking. When it seeks a similar submissive response
by nipping a child, & gets entirely the wrong response, it then bites
seriously. That same afternoon, animal control comes by to arrange for the
dog's destruction & there's a phone call from the kid's father's attorney,
& a second mortgage is going to be required. The often-wacked happy
obedient dog never again gets to hang out with that greatly loved
belly-scratchin' human who will forever after refuse to believe his dog
was unprovoked.

On the other hand, I've stopped dogs from being rowdy, when even their
owners couldn't get them under control, merely by pinching the dog's
cheek. This settles them down at once & gets their attention. I'm not sure
why it would work so reliably, but I learned this when I was a teenager &
took a German shephard through a training program, & I've often had
opportunity to do the face-pinch trick in the decades since; a dog can be
completely unfamiliar with the maneuver, or it can have experienced it a
great deal so isn't surprised, either way it's the same response -- settle
down, come to attention. Doesn't need to be done painfully, but enough to
be felt, so it would qualify as a use of pain in training -- do it three
times, for the rest of the day if not forever after, you only have to
touch the cheek. It's about the least threatening method of conveying
alpha status to a jumping slobbering over-excited or leash-yanking
refuses-to-hear-you dog -- it feels that cheek-pinch & suddenly it wants
to know what you want of it. Alhough this seems never to fail on a large
good-natured dog, it's useless for miniatures; I always assumed that was
because toys & miniatures are naturally stupid, but maybe you've got a
better idea, & lap-dogs are really wired to a different standard.

Old 24-11-2003, 02:42 AM
paghat

In article , GaryM
wrote:

madgardener wrote in
:

When
we ate chicken, I shared the bones with Rose, Pesters and Sugar
because the punishment was over.

Chicken bones? I'm no dog expert but I have seen a dog suffer from
internal lacerations from chicken bones. Not a pleasant way to go.

COOKED bones become brittle & can splinter like glass, & may on RARE
occasions cause death from internal injury. The leg bones are the greatest
risk, but any cooked brittle bone could potentially lodge even a small
splinter anywhere along the digestive system, where it can become encysted
& require major surgery to remove. RAW bones crush rather than splinter &
many kennels get cheap wing & neckbones as major doggy treats. To be
perfectly paranoid, however, most cases of campylobacteriosis are the
result of feeding raw meat to pets. The National Center for Infectious
Diseases says even ONE DROP of chicken blood or sliver of raw meat may
infect a dog, & can be passed in some cases from dog to human. Also
salmonella carried by dogs & cats to humans often involve animals fed raw
meats. So too Taxoplasmosis passed to humans from cats is associated with
cats that either catch a lot of food for themselves ouitdoors, or are fed
raw meat indoors.

Nevertheless, these problems must be statistically very slight, because
most dog experts agree raw chicken bones are healthy. I'm reposting
something I wrote on this a long while back:

CHICKEN BONES
repost:

I'd often wondered about the "chicken bones are bad for dogs" rule, since
foxes, coyotes, wolves, & even some domestic dogs, will kill & eat
chickens, & wild canines break the bones & eat at least the marrow (wolves
invariably eat the entire bone). And they even "wolf them down" so to
speak, as carnivores just do not "savor" their food or chew it carefully.
How many wolves & foxes keal over dead from eating bird bones? Well, I
sure didn't know, but I was betting it's not a big issue since it's the
normal diet.

So I tried to find some stuff on the net. I found a "worst case scenario"
in an article about a great dane that had to have surgery to remove
shattered chicken bone pieces from her intestines, the bone fragments
described as "terribly sharp." These were COOKED bone fragments which is
important to keep in mind -- cooked bones, NOT raw bones, are the ones
that are brittle. It's easy to remember that backwards; do not remember it
backwards! In the same case of this great dane, however, even the chicken
meat had become leathery in the intestine & was apparently regarded as
indigestible by this Dane's system -- so this was not a healthy normal
animal to begin with, unable to digest any meat well.

So I continued looking & found this among many websites with similar
information:
http://www.skansen.com/nutrition/bone.htm
which promotes raw meat & bones, especially chickenwings & necks, as one
of the best diets for domestic dogs, typically fed by breeders with many
dogs with no ill side effects & many benifits.

It is unfortunately cooked bones that are most apt to be fed to dogs by by
individual dog-owners, in the form of table-scraps of cooked meals. RAW
bones do not crumble into splinters. I, too, had heard "cooked chicken
bones are fine" & maybe that's true if they're cooked into a gelatin, but
basically the advice is bass-ackwards. Raw chicken bones "are safely
crushed" according to the above cited article. The website author's source
is an artical by Dr Ian Billinghurst, "Give Your Dog a Bone" in KEEP YOUR
PET HEALTHY THE NATURAL WAY edited by Pat Lazarus.

It begins now to make sense to me. That poor great dane was given cooked
chicken bones & had some digestive problem arleady, hence it needed major
surgery to repair the damage. But dogs -- just like wolves & foxes &
coyotes -- can eat RAW birds, including chickens, bones & all, without
risk. Even cooked bones may only RARELY cause problems. Dr. Mike Richards
at vetinfo.com states that in 18 years of continuous practice on dogs, he
had NEVER seen a perferation injury caused by a chicken bone. So there is
definitely a "folklore" element to belief in this as a noteworthy problem.
Dr. Richards does note that dogs fed an excess of chicken bones sans the
meat may acquire lower bowel obstruction treatable with stool softeners,
manual removal of hard stools, or even enemas. I note that serious dog
breeders do not feed table scraps from which all meat has been removed,
but feed raw chicken parts, meat & bones together. If it were just the
bones, the excess of bone calcium could harden stool & cause a dog
considerable misery.

[rest of article as applicable to pet rats deleted]

Old 24-11-2003, 03:02 AM
paghat

In article , Frogleg
wrote:

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:37:16 GMT, wrote:

We had a Cocker Spaniel when I was a kid that dug holes every time he
was left alone in the yard. And every time, my father would drag him
to the hole, rub his nose in it, and whack him with a newspaper. We
probably had that dog for 5 years, and he *never* quit digging holes.
Either the dog or my father was a slow learner.

Constant hole-digging is a common neurotic problem in dogs & is very ofen
an indication of the dog's misery, loneliness, fear, or unhappiness. It'd
be my guess the dog was alone a lot, but other things can cause neurotic
behavior.

When I still lived in Seattle, I observed a neighbor's dog undermining a
large old tree, digging itself a veritable cave over a long period of
time. Throughout the three years I observed it, its only contact with its
family was to be hastily fed but barely talked to, & occasionally someone
went out there to beat the living daylights out of it for barking to get
attention. When the dog came down with diarrhea I called animal control &
the dog was removed; I felt bad doing it but it was a very sick animal
getting no care at all. The neighbor vanished not long after, & good
riddance; the tree however had to be removed, the dog had so damaged it.

Other causes can be much less the fault of an owner. Even well-cared for
dogs can become neurotic. A change in family status (like arrival of an
infant), a menacing neighbor's dog that has it continuously cowed &
frightened, or any number of things difficult to recognize. Since the
behavior manifests from a dog equivalent of depression, punishment just
depresses it all the more, heightening the behavior.

The most common cause of hole-digging or other neurotic behaviors is
something that may sound vague but is of central importance to the
emotional well being of a dog: good training. An otherwise sweet dog that
has never gone through obedience training & does not have that training
reinforced in a predictable environment does not even know what its
position in life is supposed to be. In its uncertainty it becomes a little
crazy. They're pack animals & need not merely a social life, but a
well-defined location in the "pack" or family unit which will include
people of all ages, cats, parrots, bunnies, pet rats, even immediate
neighbors & their pets. A dog will reliably obey everyone higher in the
social order (mom & dad), & it will protect everyone lower in the social
order (the kids & even that gawdamn annoying cat). But if it does not know
where it stands, it neither protects nor obeys, but digs holes or licks
itself until it has given itself raw open soars.

Old 24-11-2003, 03:19 AM
paghat

In article , wrote:

cocker spaniels used to be a hunting dog. then they became popular and

the breed was
basically ruined by wanton over breeding. yes, they are incredibly

stupid, like
trying to train an Afghan, it isnt that it cant be done, but it is

amazing when it is
done.

A friend's English spaniel was everything a cocker spaniel isn't,
intelligent, good natured, obedient, not to mention invariably healthy.
But this was over 25 years ago, & I've encountered a few english spaniels
since that are as stupid & child-unfriendly as some of the cockers I've
found appalling. I wonder how long it takes to ruin a breed that has
become too popular for its own good & ends up bred by every third-rate
amateur. I've heard there are cockers in Europe nothing like the American
standard of stupidity, but don't know if that's true. Seems like if it
were true someone would import them & breed a smarter strain of cocker.

-paghat the ratgirl

Lots of people "do" dog training. I have seen various methods come and

go, the
latest rage is "clicker" training... originally designed for porpoises

who hear well
in that range. ah well. it isnt how well she can train dogs, it is

how many people
drop out in frustration trying to get their hunting dogs trained being

"nice".
I agree, training (like with a kid) is nag, nag, nag and constant

reminding, and
saying the same command every time and enforcing it.
when a person walks in the door and the dog that is normally waiting to

greet them is
hiding instead, I think one can make some deductions about dog behavior

then.
OTOH, when I yell "what did you do" at my dogs for no reason, they look

back blankly
(well, all but one who was raised Catholic). It like the dogs dont attack the
garbage when I am in the kitchen, but if I leave the door op;en and

leave all bets
are off. And if I am sitting at my puter and a dog slinks by ears flat

and looking
back at me I had better go and check the house over. Ingrid

Old 24-11-2003, 06:44 AM
Shell

Hi
I would love to see pictures of your garden

I have just had a run in with a nasty worm in my computer which required a
complete factory restore. My fish tank went pfft on me and I lost all my
guppies plus theres a large water stain on the wall that now needs
repainting. What is it they say about life being an adventure? Oh well...I
can get more guppies later. It took around 20 hours to restore my computer
and I'm still downloading and replacing stuff *sigh*

I had to bring in all the plants outside tonight since it rained heavily
today and it's supposed to be in the low 30's tonight and tomorrow night.
My Black Dragon Coleus plants are doing well (I started them about 2 months
ago) The bougainvillea is blooming away, in bright fuschia, and the Lace
Leaf Japanese Maple has several new branches. Now if I could just figure
out why the leaves on my small cardboard palm are turning brown.

My dog (a Terrier Dachshund mix) is afraid of the yard He only tries to
dig up the carpet and roots under the pillows on the couch. Dogs are pretty
smart, they know when they've done something they shouldn't have. Mine will
sit under the dining table and look guilty.

Shell

"madgardener" wrote in message
Today when I came home from work, I had a late fall fairy moment.
When I got out of the car, oldest son hollers at me from upstairs that
I'd better check my front garden, because apparently he'd not been
paying attention and both dawgs were outside. But the worst part
wasn't that both were outside, because Rose is a good girl. But Rose
doesn't tell Sugar not to do things.........

This was bad news to me because I had come home with the intent on
getting some beautiful unusual fall weather garden stuff done. I
walked along the front looking and stopped short when I came to where
the yellow, and the orange kniphofia HAD been planted. And the clump
of geraniums that had resisted my diggings a few years ago and have
graced me with fleeting blossoms.....and lord knows what else.
Because there was a hole going to Australia (Hi Pen!!) and about
three foot wide.................................arghhhhhhhhhh hh

Mike comes out the front door and informs me that Sugar and Rose had
been out all day since his brother had gone to work this morning at 8.
I pointed to the massive hole and he dropped his jaw and I then told
him to get Sugar for me. Apparently she KNEW she'd done something
wrong like she always does, and had been hiding under his covers ever
since he'd discovered them outside and gotten them back in the house..
So I called her and dragged her dawg ass out the front door over to
the pit she'd dug and dragged her muzzle thru the dirt yelling at her
"what did you DO????? BAAAADDDDD DAWG, NO" about 30 seconds of this
with her curled into a grubworm position I then picked her bodily up
and handed her to Mike, no small feat since she weighs 50 pounds now
and I have no business doing this at the moment.

I then tell him to put her butt in the house and please go get a bag
of the topsoil under the black cherry tree, and I filled up the pit
with the whole 40 pounds of soil, and unpotted an aster and some other
plants that somehow have survived despite the frosts lately. So help
me if she digs these up I'll have her for dinner............(not
really, but eventually she'll figure out this is NOT the thing to do
or "mama will be torked off"

After I got over the initial rage, I was done with it and happened to
look over at the Mexican Sage I have gotten from the lady down the
road and was blessed with the sight of the most incredible fairy.
Flitting about thru the Blue Enigma and the sage. I had Mike go get
the camera and I proceeded to try and capture her beauty. I have some
awesome shots of her on the sage. The underside of her is breath
taking, but I finally got the outer side of her and the orangeness of
her against the soft lavender and darker lavendar fuzz of the Mexican
sage is unworthy of words.

There are still a few flowers going, the Gaura has dark pink and
burgandy flowers hovering above dark burgandy and green leaves in a
pot, two Tequila sunrise coreopsis have sprung up in another pot. The
Enigma is going in both spots, the Mexican sage, a little yellow
composite I can't identify. The arum lilies are all leafed out now
and stand out with their silver and green mottled leaves.

The mimosa that died six years ago in the fence row gave up a whole
section and just missed my Diablo ninebark, Loripedilum and Wine and
Roses weigelia, and there are fat buds on the old lilac that reminds
me I need to take out another older branch before next spring to get
larger blossoms.

I will plant the burning bushes, pieris and rhodie tomorrow as it will
be the last day of 70 degree weather until the weather goddess decides
to grace us with warmth. After tomorrow, rains move back in, followed
by temperatures in the low 20's and highs barely getting to 50. The
bulbs might get planted too, but I have to find a place to tuck them
into a spot where Sugar won't uproot them. I'd hate to go thru all
this to have her uncover my efforts. She has a bad habit of returning
to the scene of the crime and recommiting it. It took several digs in
the NSSG where the departed pulmonaria lived before she got that I was
going to kill her if she unearthed the remaining plants again.

The spot she persisted at now houses Ruby slippers lobelias and an
Itea bush. If I have to I'll lay chicken wire down on the soil to
prevent her from digging up the soil where it's seemingly bare.

Thanks for letting me share a more "normal" moment with ya'll. I hope
everyone has a great holiday. anyone wishing to see the pics I took
today just give me a holler and I'll JPEG 'em to you.

,madgardener up on the ridge, back in fairy holler overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 24-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Pam - gardengal

wrote in message
cocker spaniels used to be a hunting dog. then they became popular and

the breed was
basically ruined by wanton over breeding. yes, they are incredibly

stupid, like
trying to train an Afghan, it isnt that it cant be done, but it is amazing

when it is
done.

In defense of Cocker spaniels, I'm not sure it is fair to tar all of them
with the "stupid" brush. I have always had terriers previously and they have
been intelligent and easily trainable to a fault. When I got my cocker, I
attempted the same training practices and she responded winningly. Of all my
dogs, she is the most obedient and the least garden destructive. Well, none
of them are particularly destructive, but at least she keeps to the paths
and doesn't wander into the planting beds. She is pretty much totally blind
(genetic cataracts) but that doesn't seem to slow her down in the slightest
nor does she lose her bearings at all in familiar settings. About the only
stupid thing I have ever seen her do is wait patiently at the bottom of the
fir tree for the squirrels to come down (as if they would with her sitting
there) but I find that more humorous than stupid. I am amazed at how long
she will sit and wait. She is an ideal gardening companion.

pam - gardengal

Old 24-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Frogleg

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:58:40 GMT, "Pam - gardengal"
wrote:

[...]

I hate to sound like a one-trick pony(?), but I have really become a
great fan of Dr. McConnell. Often people ask "what is the best dog
for...(children, house pet, guarding, kind disposition)?" and she
replies that there are a few broadly generalized traits, but that each
animal is his/her individual creature. My mention of a Cocker Spaniel
was *not* meant to denigrate the breed. In fact, my anecdotal
assessment was that my father was deficient in learning power, not
the dog.

A neighbor has recently trained a couple of Labs to a fare-thee-well,
apparently using a lot of shouting and restraint. I believe this can
be successful, However, I'd much rather learn the tricks of training
an animal with treats and kind words.

Your canine companion sounds lovely. McConnell claiims cats can be
trained, too, but I'm not sure she means dragging in the Sunday paper.
Which is about the only trick I'd like Marigold to learn. :-)