Old 24-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Eliezer

Default Manure on Bulbs

I just put in some 350 bulbs, and the gardeners spread what smells
like horse manure all over the place. Van Engelen warns against using
'hot manure,' specifically horse manure. What is the problem, and
what is going to happen to my bulbs? Thanks.
Old 24-11-2003, 08:02 PM
Derryl Killan

Hi

Manure is a source of deadly plant diseases for bulbs and peonies.
Use lots of peatmoss if you need organic matter.

Derryl

Old 24-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Eliezer" wrote in message
om...
I just put in some 350 bulbs, and the gardeners spread what smells
like horse manure all over the place. Van Engelen warns against using
'hot manure,' specifically horse manure. What is the problem, and
what is going to happen to my bulbs? Thanks.

Are the bulbs planted a correct distance under ground and the manure used as
a mulch on top? If so, you don't really need to worry - by the time the
bulbs appear in spring, the manure should be well composted. If the manure
or whatever was incorporated into the area prior to planting, you could have
problems with water retention, rot and nitrogen burn on the roots.

Are you sure your gardeners used manure? I'd be willing to bet it is more
likely to be some form of compost (with perhaps manure as a major
ingredient) that is not fully aged, hence the aroma. Make sure in the future
they use fully aged and composted manure.

FWIW, the botanical garden nearby mulches each fall with 6-8 inches of
composted cow manure - you should see the bulbs in spring. A very impressive
showing in the thousands!

pam - gardengal

Old 25-11-2003, 02:32 AM
Ann

Derryl Killan expounded:

Manure is a source of deadly plant diseases for bulbs and peonies.
Use lots of peatmoss if you need organic matter.

My great grandmother, gardening in southern Michigan, put well-rotted
manure on *everything*, she had the most beautiful peonies I've ever
seen. I'm fortunate enough to have a plant from her garden. It loves
manure, although I keep it away from the stems.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 27-11-2003, 01:02 AM
Eliezer

"Pam - gardengal" wrote in message news:9evwb.223778$ao4.806813@attbi_s51...
"Eliezer" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Thank you all, particularly Pam; I thought it was manure because it
smells like I'm living in a stable. On a warm day, the ground
practically whinnies. The bulbs are down deep, mostly 8 or so inches
down. There's nothing to do now but wait, but from what you say,
there is a chance they will survive. Thanks again.