Old 25-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Harvey

Default Possibly NOT Kudzu!!!

In another discussion on 30 year old seeds the subject of Kudzu arose.

I *thought* Id seen lots of it; it was pointed out by a hiking friend & I
took his word for it.

But looking at the Kudzu web sites, I dont think it was Kudzu at all, the
leaf was different.

This is a thorny, wirey vine seen extensively in Virginia & West Virginia at
least. Usually under trees, climbing but fairly low & never as dense as
those pictures. But the leaves are Saggitate to Hastate/spear shaped,
margin I think entire, rather dull almost yellowish green.
That does not agree with the pictures of Kudzu!
Never seen a flower on it.

So what was it?? Maybe it is a native!

Harvey

Old 25-11-2003, 06:04 PM
Gloria Lenon

This sounds more like green briar vine. The tips in the spring are good in
salads!

--
gloria - only the iguanas know for sure

Old 26-11-2003, 06:32 PM
MLEBLANCA

In article , "Harvey"
writes:

This is a thorny, wirey vine seen extensively in Virginia & West Virginia at
least. Usually under trees, climbing but fairly low & never as dense as
those pictures. But the leaves are Saggitate to Hastate/spear shaped,
margin I think entire, rather dull almost yellowish green.
That does not agree with the pictures of Kudzu!
Never seen a flower on it.

So what was it?? Maybe it is a native!

Harvey

That sounds like Greenbrier or Smilax.
Probably S. rotundifolia.
The flowers are very small, in umbels, greenish colored.
Berries are dark blue-black.
In California we have S californica.
It's in the Lily Family.

Emilie
NorCal

[IMG] code is On

Kudzu and Ozone not good Bill who putters Gardening 0 18-05-2010 11:43 AM
Kudzu v. Grape Lane Gray, Czar Castic Gardening 0 21-06-2005 03:47 AM
Need Help Trying To Grow Kudzu [email protected] Gardening 0 14-06-2005 02:23 AM
Deadly Kudzu? DavesVideo Gardening 8 07-06-2003 10:08 PM
evil kudzu. griffon Gardening 6 19-05-2003 01:32 PM