Old 29-11-2003, 06:42 AM
Shell

Default Poinsetta Question

I have just gotten a beautiful Poinsetta. I want it to survive the
Christmas season. Has anyone managed to keep one going and how did you do
this? I believe they are more of a succulent? I think someone said they
were a type of Euphorbia?

Shell

Old 29-11-2003, 12:24 PM
Mike Gilmore

I guess from your description you are talking about one of the Euphorbia
pulcherrima hybrids with their coloured bracts usually red or white against
very dark green leaves. Are you? If so all the plant needs is roomtemps.
The coloured bracts are often brought out to order by placing a black
plastic bin bag over the plant about 6 weeks before the beautiful bracts are
wanted. Feed and water regularly during growth and colour. After flowering
allow to dry off and rest. Resume water and feed when new growth restarts.

--
Regards
Mike Gilmore
m...

Old 29-11-2003, 03:03 PM
Tom Randy

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 01:34:41 -0500, Shell wrote:

I have just gotten a beautiful Poinsetta. I want it to survive the
Christmas season. Has anyone managed to keep one going and how did you
do this? I believe they are more of a succulent? I think someone said
they were a type of Euphorbia?

Shell

Keep in a bright location out of the sun and let the soil dry out a bit
between waterings. Getting them to re-color next year is a pain in the you
know what unless you can set up a room with lights on a timer. I like big
ones as foliage plants.
Old 29-11-2003, 06:13 PM
Shell

Thanks for the help. I will try to keep this one alive. I might be able to
set up a place where it gets the proper hours of light and dark.

Shell

Old 29-11-2003, 06:16 PM
Shell

Yep, that's the plant. Thanks for the help. I think I can pull this off
and keep the plant alive. I will have to try out your instructions for
reblooming it too.

Shell

"Mike Gilmore" wrote in
message ...
I guess from your description you are talking about one of the Euphorbia
pulcherrima hybrids with their coloured bracts usually red or white

against
very dark green leaves. Are you? If so all the plant needs is roomtemps.
The coloured bracts are often brought out to order by placing a black
plastic bin bag over the plant about 6 weeks before the beautiful bracts

are
wanted. Feed and water regularly during growth and colour. After flowering
allow to dry off and rest. Resume water and feed when new growth restarts.

--
Regards
Mike Gilmore
WinsfordWalledGarden, SW England,
USDA Zone9a
m...

Old 30-11-2003, 11:42 PM
SAS567

I have just gotten a beautiful Poinsetta. I want it to survive the
Christmas season. Has anyone managed to keep one going and how did you
do this? I believe they are more of a succulent? I think someone said
they were a type of Euphorbia?

Shell

Keep in a bright location out of the sun and let the soil dry out a bit
between waterings. Getting them to re-color next year is a pain in the you
know what unless you can set up a room with lights on a timer. I like big
ones as foliage plants.

I've had mine for 4 yrs.It's the size of a small bush. It goes outside in the
summer and I bring it in the first week of Oct. That is when I put it in a
closet for the 14hrs. of darkness per day that it needs to bloom again. It's
starting to bloom already. This has worked every year. Mine is white.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
Old 01-12-2003, 01:02 AM
Shell

Neat I know just where I can put it. All my closets have louvers on the
top half of the door but I have an unused bedroom/junk room that doesn't
get much light al all. Should be no trouble to set it in there. How often
do you water it when it's living in the closet?

Shell

Old 01-12-2003, 06:02 PM
SAS567

How often
do you water it when it's living in the closet?

It's not actually living in the closet. It goes in the closet at 6pm and I
bring it back out at 8am. It dries out fairly fast so I usually give it a
little water about twice a week.
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)

Old 01-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Derryl Killan

Hi the secret is to not overwater a Pointsettia. water when the soil
is slightly dry.

I have just gotten a beautiful Poinsetta. I want it to survive the
Christmas season. Has anyone managed to keep one going and how did you do
this? I believe they are more of a succulent? I think someone said they
were a type of Euphorbia?

Shell

[IMG] code is On

Poinsetta Question [email protected] Gardening 2 05-01-2009 05:00 PM
poinsetta soil question ilaboo Gardening 1 31-01-2006 12:57 PM
poinsetta Anton Jopko Gardening 3 23-02-2004 02:35 AM
Winterizing Question...Question 1 of x BenignVanilla Ponds 1 08-09-2003 06:22 PM